Loud radiator fan

Ken's MKV

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, did a search without really finding much.

So not that its finally nice here in Wisconsin I have been taking my 2006 FZ out. Once the engine gets warmed up the fan will kick on when I am doing a lot of standing. The only thing is that it is making a really loud noise. It sounds like buzzing....or like I am sticking a pencil in the shrouds. Its a pretty loud buzzing and is even overtaking the engine noise. The fan spins and turn off once cool air hits it.

Thanks
Cheers
Ken

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
check the fan or the radiator for rocks or sticks that may be just touching the blades.Do it before you ride the bike much more if the fan stops the bike can over heat and bad things happen from there

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Could be debris behind the radiator and in front of the fan shroud. Or it could be that your shroud is loose. While you're down and poking around in there, don't forget to give a good hosing to your radiator - most people never clean it. By spraying low pressure, cold water on a cool radiator the fan side you can clean out all the accumulated road debris/bugs from the front of the rad enabling your cooling system to operate more efficiently...

Ken's MKV

Reaction score
Visit site
Could be debris behind the radiator and in front of the fan shroud. Or it could be that your shroud is loose. While you're down and poking around in there, don't forget to give a good hosing to your radiator - most people never clean it. By spraying low pressure, cold water on a cool radiator the fan side you can clean out all the accumulated road debris/bugs from the front of the rad enabling your cooling system to operate more efficiently...

So I am guessing I have to remove the radiator? Can this be done without draining the coolant?

Thanks for the hints so far everyone!
Cheers
Ken

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I am guessing I have to remove the radiator? Can this be done without draining the coolant?

Thanks for the hints so far everyone!
Cheers
Ken

Nope. Just get down and look in behind your rad. You can actually flex the fan shroud and look in between in to see if you've picked up any debris. Look at your rad fins... if they're bent on the front, something may have gone through and lodged behind the rad, and in front of the fan/fan shroud. If the fins all look good on the rad, carefully look around the whole fan shroud with a good flashlight. It's difficult to see the whole area because it's pretty tight, but with some patience and flexibility, you'll be able to do a thorough check. If there is nothing obvious, it may be that the fan blades themselves are damaged, as mentioned previously.

Otherwise, you may need a new fan... perhaps the motor is worn out (how many miles on your '06?)...

Ken's MKV

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay everyone, i figured it out! The actual powerwire was rubbing against the fan shroud. Good that it didnt continue, otherwise I would be replacing or mending the wire. Thanks again for your help. :)

Cheers
Ken

ps- Wolfe1down: I have almost 17k on the bike.