Loud Buzzing at 7000rpm and up (video)

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
Hey everyone,

I've got a 2004 FZ6 with about 16000 miles on it--a few months ago before the winter I noticed a distinct buzzing sound coming from the engine; it would always start between 6000 and 7000 rpm. It happens whether or not the bike is in gear, whether or not it is stationary, and regardless of speed. The video I've uploaded a video to YouTube that highlights the sound, it's pretty easy to hear. I know there are a bunch of threads on problems like this, but I hoped some more experienced ears could take a listen and perhaps know whats wrong (if anything) pretty quickly.

For those who are curious, the camera I used is a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition. It is one fine camera! =)

Thanks!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq7zGF3XXwg]fz6 buzzing sound - YouTube[/ame]

-mark

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Mine made a similar buzz it was the clutch lever vibrating in it's perch. You can check this by keeping you hand on the lever and see if the buzz goes away.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds exactly like my 2009 at ~7000 RPM.

I think it's normal for this bike, based on all the other posts on the subject. Just the usual FZ6 mid-range buzz. It's not the clutch lever in my case -- tested that.

Funny how bad it sounds on camera (I have a Contour) but my ears never pick up the resonance. I think the camera microphone exaggerates it.

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
Thanks for the input--I was worried about it because it is so loud. I can clearly hear it when riding, the video is pretty accurate to real life. It definitely started at a certain point as well, it would have been something I noticed when I purchased the bike. There isn't any performance loss that I've noticed so I can't imagine that it's a destructive problem but I've had to train myself not to cringe when I hear it. Ill probably take it to a local shop to see if they will take a listen and hopefully they'll tell me I'm crazy. =)

bdub24

Reaction score
Visit site
Loose nut somewhere? I changed my exhaust and have a loose nut near my master cylinder under my seat and it makes that same noise..just not at any particular RPM range.

Last edited:

iwannaride

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike (2007) makes the exact same noise. Soon as I hit ~6500rpm, buuzzzzzzzz... Did you figure out what is causing it? Anyone else have this issue that can chime in?

tosh23

Reaction score
Visit site
When the new cbf1000 first came out the dealers had a hell of a time trying to find the same buzz, turned out it was the wiring harness to the rhs indicator buzzing on the plastics inside the dash..tosh

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No way is that buzz coming from the engine. I am betting it's plastic.. probably fairing.. something somewhere is loose and it's a PAIN to track that stuff down. But most importantly, don't worry about the engine... it's just an annoyance. Ear plugs FTW :D

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
Unfortunately I still haven't solved this one...I thought it was something loose like bodywork too, but I actually took the Entire front end off and rode up and down my street. Still could hear it...I tried to lean over while riding to try and locate it and it sounds like it is coming from the front for sure. I took the gas tank, air box, and battery out searching for something that was loose but with no luck. I revved it up on the center stand with the front end off and I still couldn't pinpoint it. It's obnoxious, I can hear it clearly at 50-60mph (without earplugs) I really just haven't had time to rip the whole thing apart even more. I will definitely post here if I solve it, but of anyone has anything they think I could check, even parts that could be loose that'd be awesome.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Could be clutch cable housing making contact with something. Out of curiosity, when you test for buzz on center stand, try it with handlebar turned fully to one side and then turned fully to the other side.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Last summer I actually passed up on buying an Fz6 with 19,000 miles on it because of this sound. Since that time I bought a 2009 with 2300 miles and it too started in with that buzz just recently. It now has 5k miles on it... damn..

Anyway, I was thinking it was coming from the exhaust somewhere... maybe its how the exhaust is moving through the collector or the cats or even the mufflers. Just my two pennies.
Does anyone with a decat pipe or after market mufflers have this problem??

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First off, go over the entire bike checking ALL the bolts for the correct torque.

I found two, of the short "arm" frame to engine bolts slightly loosened up as well as several header nuts loosened up. The engine bolts, obviously helped with some vibs, the header nuts, were beginning to make a new, unknown noise.

I also had a fairing screw, way up front, slightly loosen up and make some rattling.

Also, go around all the plastic bodywork gently to moderatly, smacking the bodywork with a closed fist, (with the lower, meaty part of your hand) listening for any rattles. I've found many a rattle on various bikes doing this...

Once all that's done, if the problem still persists, as posted above, have the bike outside (with a helper if possible), and just rev it to 8k very briefly trying to narrow down the location listening initially, then again, smacking the area to pin point the problem..

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same buzz on my 2006.

Found it was coming from the plastic radiator guard. I used high temp black silicone to insulate the guard from the radiator and no more buzz. It also helped a lot when I did the throttle body sync!

I will say that your buzz is a bit higher frequency than mine so I would lean more toward something in the fairing since it is hard mounted to the frame and gets more vibrations than the radiator.

iwannaride

Reaction score
Visit site
I was having a concerning buzz at the same RPM. Clutch lever rattle. Disassembled, lubed, tightened back up and it went away.

Figured out my buzzing is the clutch lever. As soon as I covered it with my hand the buzzing stopped. My clutch lever seems to be very loose, about 1/4 inch play up and down, is this normal or can it be tightened?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Figured out my buzzing is the clutch lever. As soon as I covered it with my hand the buzzing stopped. My clutch lever seems to be very loose, about 1/4 inch play up and down, is this normal or can it be tightened?

It sounds somewhat loose. The lock nut on the bottom should be loosened and the top bolt, tightened up some. The lower lock nut then retightened.

*Note, I would take the lever off first, clean both the lever and perch real good, then apply some good, preferaably water proof grease to all moving points. :thumbup:

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
check your keys on your triple tree......wouldn't be an issue if you have just the one key in the ignition....but if you have other keys on the chainring it might be the cause. I've had it happen to me.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
I see you do have other keys on the chainring.....and funny enough they start to vibrate when the buzzing starts......you have to let me know if this is your source.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Like Scott said, so many things need to be checked. OP said he took the fairing off and test rode. That covers that, but still inspect everything. I bet we all find something loose.

For all of you with this issue, you have everything to gain by checking the spark plug caps for looseness and stopping the problem at the source. I know it seems sketchy but twice I've found them loose; twice i've tightened them, and twice the buzz has been curred.

The effort is minimal and it may fix your issues! http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/48874-cure-bad-vibrations-spark-plug-caps.html

Good luck!

Last edited: