Lost in translation... English vs American :)

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
I figure I'd share since we have many UK folks here; so my wife is a nurse in Brooklyn NY near a port where the Queen Mary docs, and she gets Brits time to time (btw usually the best patients, but I digress)...

Anyway, she had an older couple, using plenty of phrases foreign to us Americans... until one caught her off guard; the dude called her a 'driver's dog'. It took his wife to realize my wife's face turned sour and then they explained its actually complement (means she's fit/spunky or something like that).

We're European and open minded so its all good, but she did explain that calling any female in the states a dog (of any type) would usually result in @ss kicking :spank:.

<rant>over</rant>

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad you got the topic name right, you are acknowledging that Americans do NOT speak English :spank:

I'm British but "driver's dog" is a new one on me, Google doesn't know it either. Is your wife sure that's what was said? Maybe it was the accent!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I've actually herd that expression before living down in Georgia. Some of its meaning might of got lost in translation from "proper gents" to rednecks though. When I herd it the guy I was talking to, I worked with him and as far as I know he was born and raised in ga, but he used it referring to a guy we worked with who constantly was screwing up because he would get ahead of himself he said something like " man the bet part of of dat boy musta dun run down his daddy's leg, that boy always runnin round like a drivers dog and countin his damn chickens before the eggs hatch"

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've actually herd that expression before living down in Georgia. Some of its meaning might of got lost in translation from "proper gents" to rednecks though. When I herd it the guy I was talking to, I worked with him and as far as I know he was born and raised in ga, but he used it referring to a guy we worked with who constantly was screwing up because he would get ahead of himself he said something like " man the bet part of of dat boy musta dun run down his daddy's leg, that boy always runnin round like a drivers dog and countin his damn chickens before the eggs hatch"

LOL Yep, this is the GA I remember... :BLAA: My English wasn't that great when I moved there back in 2001. Most of the time I couldn't understand 1/2 of what people were saying.

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
Thanks everyone for the <sometimes scary> replies... my eyes have been opened just how our (Aussies vs UK vs USA vs ...) language differ ;). If the poor guy who got me thinking about all this didn't just suffer a stroke and heart attack in the same day, I'd love to drive down to the hospital and ask him myself to settle this once and for all :).

And yes, I've heard of drover's dog, and what spunk(y) actually means... :spank:

Now, I'm gonna go have myself a fag [you knew that was coming...].