Long distance riding on FZ6

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
I'f you get a custom with the 4.5gal tank. Its a GREAT bike for touring. I regularly got 160-180 miles to a tank before reserve. :thumbup: And the sundowner seat that HD makes for the sportsters, makes the seat this bike comes with look like a bed if hot nails.

Take em all for a ride before you make your decision :thumbup:

Ya, but Harleys are so underpowered, ill handling, noise making, expensive, poor quality motorcycles. Its pretty not cool how a bike made in the USA could be so poorly made.

But hey, if you want something everyeone else in the states has (midwest for the most part) that is commonly nicknamed Hardly Ablson, go for it!

Im not biased toward sportbikes btw. I owned a 1985 honda v30 magna. a 500cc v-4 engine made around 68 or so hp. I could beat any stock hardly besides the vrod. now for the vrod, my dads v65 which is 24 years old will gladly spank it.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any bike is not going to be an armchair after 1000 miles in 24 hour because you would be tired.
This summer I rode 900km one day and 600km the next day, 2 up on my FZ6 without any problem. I have a Yamaha lowered seat on mine and is very comfortable.

My other choice on your list would certainly be the BMW. It all depends if you are going to be a round the world biker or just take the occasional long trip. If it is the second I would certainly choose the FZ6.

The photos are of me in front of Mont St Michel in Normandy, France. We rode down from Denmark, 2 up, and back for a holiday 3500km. So long distance is not a problem.

The second photo is Jannie sat on the bike on the way back from France. This is at about 800km. The bike has all our gear on for a week plus the tent on top of the top box.

I have done 22000km on the FZ6 without one single problem. It is a great bike to have, whatever type of riding you want to do. 2 big plus marks is that it goes hell of a long way without having to refuel and the bike is light to handle both in riding and physically.

I hope this helps.

Steve

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
What bikes have you ridden in the past, what did you like/dislike about them, and what did you use them for? I ask because you list has a wide variety of bikes on it based on cost, intended use, and performance etc....I'm a little confused as to where you're coming from on all this...?

F

FZSex

Ya, but Harleys are so underpowered, ill handling, noise making, expensive, poor quality motorcycles. Its pretty not cool how a bike made in the USA could be so poorly made. .

So underpowered - Every single harley including the lil 883 makes more sane speed power than my fz6 in town. If I'm cruising in town and pull back the throttle, my bike goes forward but not like a decent displacement twin. I didn't have to gear down on my sporty. Its required on my fz

Ill handling - they handle well but not in the same league as our bike

Noise making - stock harleys are quieter than my bike ;)

Expensive - no argument here

Poor quality - you have got to be joking. Harley makes a damn good motorcycle in terms of quality

F

FZSex

2008 FZ6

2007 honda 919

2000-2008 harley sportster

2008 Aprilia Shiver

2008 BMW f 800 GS

my top 3 are the FZ6, Sportster, nd the f 800 gs

if any one has any input on some pros or cons on any of these bike it would be awesome

My personal recommendation (after saying you should test ride ALL and see which one moves you) would be the 919 or the fz6.

Out of the gate, the fz is ready with the fairing and passenger handles (tie stuff down) and cheap price and economy. Also, its just a awesome commuter for the times you aren't touring around (light and reliable).

I've had a harley nightster (sportster 1200) and it was a great bike but it will buzz past 70+ on the interstate and its annoying. If you aren't in a rush, its a great bike but that alone would rule out the option for touring.

The 919, I like it! Great lookin, honda reliable, naked. ... I'd go for the FZ personally. test ride it last and see what you buy.

rushracer

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ is great for shorter hops and frequent stops. If you want it to work for longer jaunts you need to add some accessories and customize it more to you. A more comfortable seat, a riding position that fits you. Additions to the fairing/windscreen also help for distance and the cold. I would look closely at the Beemer for distance, though it won't have the fun factor of the FZ when it gets twisty!

fz6gow

Reaction score
Visit site
Any bike is not going to be an armchair after 1000 miles in 24 hour because you would be tired.
This summer I rode 900km one day and 600km the next day, 2 up on my FZ6 without any problem. I have a Yamaha lowered seat on mine and is very comfortable.

My other choice on your list would certainly be the BMW. It all depends if you are going to be a round the world biker or just take the occasional long trip. If it is the second I would certainly choose the FZ6.

The photos are of me in front of Mont St Michel in Normandy, France. We rode down from Denmark, 2 up, and back for a holiday 3500km. So long distance is not a problem.

The second photo is Jannie sat on the bike on the way back from France. This is at about 800km. The bike has all our gear on for a week plus the tent on top of the top box.

I have done 22000km on the FZ6 without one single problem. It is a great bike to have, whatever type of riding you want to do. 2 big plus marks is that it goes hell of a long way without having to refuel and the bike is light to handle both in riding and physically.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Hey Steve,
Your first picture is in France right?

autobahn70

Reaction score
Visit site
Somebody is buying you a motorcycle for your graduation? That's awesome. That Aprilia is very cool looking, and not many people will have one, if you like to stand out.

littlepilot89

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry its taken me so long to reply to all your posts. i have been busy with school and football. But i am shocked by all the respondes i got they help narrow my search to around 3 main bikes.

FZ6

BMW f800st

and lastlly a V-Strom becuase my dad really seems to want to see me on that bike lol.

and i dont really plan on doing any off roading with my bike. sorry i forgot to mention that in my orginal post. i jsut mainlly want something that i can go out ride a couple hundred miles on with a some luggage and maybe go 2 up. And maybe something i could wheelie maybe once or twice or go do soem really fun mountain riding where its jsut curve after curve lol.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
and i dont really plan on doing any off roading with my bike. sorry i forgot to mention that in my orginal post. i jsut mainlly want something that i can go out ride a couple hundred miles on with a some luggage and maybe go 2 up. And maybe something i could wheelie maybe once or twice or go do soem really fun mountain riding where its jsut curve after curve lol.

FZ6 w/ hard luggage FTW!

But is this your first bike?

littlepilot89

Reaction score
Visit site
And some one asked about my riding history well it is as follows

My first bike ride was in the gas tank of my dad old honda 750 when i was around 5 or 6....which i saddly later knocked over a few years later in the garage. But any way back to the story. My dad later sold the bike because of health issuie in our family which took me away from motorccyles till i was around 14. Which is when i started riding mopeds around. They werent fast but they gave me alot of experence from learning about a$$ holes on the road after being literally pushed off my bike a few years back. to learning how to attack corners, stop signs and how to ride in the rain. At the same time i had a XR 200 dirtbike which was fun for a while until i got tired of being chased by the cops so i traded it for another moped that i severally modded and it know goes 55 on a 70cc engine......and then when i turned 17 i got my motorcycles licence and have been riding my moms honda 750 shadow since i got it.....and i hate it with a passion lol

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Good update. I've ridden all of the bikes I mention below. I like them all for different things (I sound like a bike magazine writer now), but now that I know more about what you're looking for here are my latest thoughts.....

Although I suggested the V-strom in a prior post, I would now say scratch it off since you're planning on-road travel only. It's still a good bike for 90% on-road, but I'd say the FZ6 would be much more fun. If you're looking for another bike in between the FZ6 and the V-strom, consider a Versys (many hate the headlight, but if you can get past that it's a fun bike to ride).

The BMW 800S/ST just don't impress me. Not as comfortable as the FZ6 IMO (more of a full-on sport riding position, which would be tough after a long day). They are renown for stalling issues and if you drop it, you'll pay as much to fix the plastic as it would cost to buy a new FZ6. I found the throttle even more 'snatchy' than the FZ6 as well.

It seems that there is disagreement over the seat comfort on the FZ6. Since you've ridden a Shadow 750 (a bike I've also put 15,000 miles on), let me put it this way......its NOTHING like that TORTURE SEAT on the Honda!! The FZ6 seat is a bit firm, but if you look into what generally makes a seat comfortable in the long run (for most people), it's a firm seat - NOT a soft one. The fact that the FZ6 seat is long means you can easily shift positions while riding, which helps a LOT (something you can't do on a cruiser seat). So despite what others might say, I LOVE the stock FZ6 seat and while it's no Goldwing, I think it's the BEST stock seat on any bike under $10,000 I've ridden. Also, aftermarket seats for the FZ6 seem to cost about HALF of what they do for HDs and some other bikes, so you can always go with something else if you prefer.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry its taken me so long to reply to all your posts. i have been busy with school and football. But i am shocked by all the respondes i got they help narrow my search to around 3 main bikes.

FZ6

BMW f800st

and lastlly a V-Strom becuase my dad really seems to want to see me on that bike lol.

First of all Dad may be buying the bike but you are riding it. If you get just because he likes it, you will be trying to get rid of it within the year to get what you want.

The FZ6 sounds good for what you say you want. But at the end of the day the choice is yours so good luck with that.

Steve

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
May I suggest a Triumph Tiger 1050. A sweet looking sport tourer with loads upon gobs of low/mid end tourqe. Very comfortable seating, decent gas mile, bigger tank than fz6.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
May I suggest a Triumph Tiger 1050. A sweet looking sport tourer with loads upon gobs of low/mid end tourqe. Very comfortable seating, decent gas mile, bigger tank than fz6.

And then buy a riding suit and look like this.................

Im joking of course. Triumph make great bikes but being British I would say that.

Steve

F

FZSex

Taken this morning, yeah I'm partial to the FZ6 :D

fz.jpg