LED turn signal problem

mojan

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed a set of LED turn signals from 2 wheels on the rear, and they aren't nearly as bright as I would have thought, and they blink double time. I guess this means I need some sort of relay. I looked through some old posts, and saw that an electronic flasher should do the trick.

The post said the LF1-S-FLAT from Flashers & Load Resistors | Car Bulb Installation Supplies | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs should do the trick. Just wanted to check with the group to see if this is what I need. Also, where does it install?

Thanks

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed a set of LED turn signals from 2 wheels on the rear, and they aren't nearly as bright as I would have thought, and they blink double time. I guess this means I need some sort of relay. I looked through some old posts, and saw that an electronic flasher should do the trick.

The post said the LF1-S-FLAT from Flashers & Load Resistors | Car Bulb Installation Supplies | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs should do the trick. Just wanted to check with the group to see if this is what I need. Also, where does it install?

Thanks
you have two options
1 - Add/Remove resistors in series with LED signals
2 - Swap the stock flasher relay with Electronic Flasher relay

Option 2 is the BEST
ELFR-1 Electronic LED Flasher Relay with OEM Connector | Custom LED

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
The above will still not fix the brightness but only the blinking rate. Assuming connections are good, the brightness is inherent to the flashers units so not much you can do on that one other than changing them to brighter ones.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
People got all ecstatic about LED lights. I like how they look like too, however up to this day I didn't see proper replacement for turn signal and stop light!

Driving behind bike like that one can't see what biker is signalling. It doesn't even have to be very sunny day. Don't forget that turn signal and stop light is 12V/21W bulbs. LED can't match that.
Even worse LEDs are those where half of the rear lights turns into amber flashing, supposedly to indicate turn signal. Brightness is simply not there.

Tahlen

Reaction score
Visit site
The LED technology is there and has been for a few years now. Look up Cree xlamp for some component high power units manufacturers COULD be using. Look at newer cars. Many have the instant on/off character LEDs. I'm guessing its a cost thing since the high power units + the electronics to support them aren't cheap. There are some aftermarket companies doing this for $$$ - Rizoma and Motodynamic come to mind.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
you have two options
1 - Add/Remove resistors in series with LED signals
2 - Swap the stock flasher relay with Electronic Flasher relay

Option 2 is the BEST
ELFR-1 Electronic LED Flasher Relay with OEM Connector | Custom LED

Do not remove resistors that are wired in series. Resistors in series are for for voltage drop and limit current through the device. Removing them can damage the device. If the resistors are wired parallel (most cases) they are in circuit to emulated the load of the incandescent lamp the LED's are replacing. These resistors can be removed when you replace the OEM flasher with an electronic flasher.

mojan

Reaction score
Visit site
The above will still not fix the brightness but only the blinking rate. Assuming connections are good, the brightness is inherent to the flashers units so not much you can do on that one other than changing them to brighter ones.

Thanks for all the replies. It is not so much the faster flashing that bothers me, but the lack of brightness, which I thought was connected to this problem. I guess I'll just have to save my $$$ for a set of Rizomas. Do you have to install an electronic flasher with those?

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I also replaced my turn signals with some from The Two Wheels. They don't seem to carry the ones I used, but they're very bright, even in broad daylight. I also used the electronic flasher relay linked by dev_usc, 3-wire adapters that just plug into the factory plugs, and a blinker genie for the front: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Custom-LED-Blinker-Genie-Converts/dp/B00BFXJIAE"]Amazon.com: Custom LED Blinker Genie - Converts 2-Wire LED to 3 for Run AND Turns: Automotive[/ame]

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. It is not so much the faster flashing that bothers me, but the lack of brightness, which I thought was connected to this problem. I guess I'll just have to save my $$$ for a set of Rizomas. Do you have to install an electronic flasher with those?

A decent set of led flashers will provide as much brightness as incandescent. Led power and type are definitely factors for brightness so is surface area. Rizomas are known to be bright for their size but they are pricey. There are other decent alternatives that are cheaper and as bright as they provide a larger surface area of illumination. Search the forum, there are tons of threads about this even thought opinion and taste will vary.

And yes you will still need to address the faster flashing rate. The electronic flasher is recommended.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I have these on my bike and they are bright if not brighter than the originals I had. SPEEDMETAL - LED Angle Lights - Signals - Electrical - Parts - Cycle Gear

Also cheaper than Rizoma. These are 30 bucks a set of 2

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I have these on my bike and they are bright if not brighter than the originals I had. SPEEDMETAL - LED Angle Lights - Signals - Electrical - Parts - Cycle Gear

Also cheaper than Rizoma. These are 30 bucks a set of 2

Those are exactly the ones I have. Picked those because they are bigger than most of the peanut size led flashers and they have more LED units that illuminate.

Also, they (barely) pass the vehicle regulations about the minimum size for flashers. Yes there are regulations for that even though nobody cares about them.

mojan

Reaction score
Visit site

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do not remove resistors that are wired in series. Resistors in series are for for voltage drop and limit current through the device. Removing them can damage the device. If the resistors are wired parallel (most cases) they are in circuit to emulated the load of the incandescent lamp the LED's are replacing. These resistors can be removed when you replace the OEM flasher with an electronic flasher.

sorry use of wrong word. I meant "Add/Reduce"
thanks for correcting