LED Panel & Arduino instrument cluster

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
That 24 pin ic = 5-Channel Gauge Driver with Serial Link
Apache Tomcat/6.0.26 - Error report

If you look at how it communicates you may be able to interpret what the ECM is saying and use the data directly from the serial data link to the display. The downside is the data likely comes from the that 100 QFP which doesn't pop up under findchips.com.

However there is this thread that came back to life - Lets just say people have been creative! Yamaha FI Diagnostics tool - ECU hacking

Motorcycle black box. Part 1 : data acquisition with Arduino Mega. | Iwasz

Fantastic info! For some reason I never made the connection that the ECU probably communicates via serial...I will probably take another stab at using my circuit to read RPM and speed when my schmitt triggers arrive in the mail, but this is intriguing, and could make 'reading' the info from the bike very simple once the tx/rx pins and baud rate are determined.....well there goes next weekend!

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
K-line serial data

I have to agree that using the K-line serial data would likely be the best option, as you'll be able to extract all kinds of stuff.

This guy has done some neat stuff:

So, it looks like there are people out there who have likely already written the code that would be needed to handle the communications and parsing.

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
So...because I couldn't wait until the weekend...

I hooked my an oscilloscope up to the "K-line" and managed to capture what looked like bits!

The number of bits and even the bits themselves looked quite similar to the initial data that "iwasz" captured for his black box project:

I ordered the IC he used and am waiting for them to come in. Something, however, tells me that I could almost hook that right up to the arduino as long as I regulate it down to the appropriate voltage...

EDIT: The first image is a photograph of my reading from my oscilloscope. The second image is from the link above, a capture from iwasz's Saleae logic analyzer.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So...because I couldn't wait until the weekend...

I hooked my an oscilloscope up to the "K-line" and managed to capture what looked like bits!

The number of bits and even the bits themselves looked quite similar to the initial data that "iwasz" captured for his black box project:

I ordered the IC he used and am waiting for them to come in. Something, however, tells me that I could almost hook that right up to the arduino as long as I regulate it down to the appropriate voltage...

Looks like you have a pretty fancy scope. Any chance it has an I2C function and can pull out hex addresses? I don't know why but I have this feeling that they simply addressed each device (hex 1011 etc); Speedo, Tach, Air, & water temp, and piped it through on serial link. Its not allot of data being fed so its possible something this simple could have been used.

Going back to building a gauge W/out the serial link; did you see the IC I found that converts CPS to digital! I need to order a couple!

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
I should have specified: The first and obviously a photograph is from the oscilloscope I borrowed from work, and the second is from iwasz's black box project. He used a Saleae logic analyzer to get the fancy and very detailed image. I attached both images to compare how my signal looked very similar to his.

I did see that IC you found that converts CPS to digital -- one is on order! :rockon:

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
Serial data capture is a success! :rockon:

I was able to captures some useful looking data tonight...the IC I ordered to bring the bike's K-line (serial) signal down to something the arduino likes has not come in yet, so I decided to try and manipulate the signal with what components I have.

Basic circuit logic:
12v square wave (original signal)
zener diode & resistor (brings the peak voltage down to under 5v, however the zero logic state of the wave was at 1.2v-ish, not good for serial communication apparently)
74HC14 Schmitt Trigger (this creates a true 0 to 5 square wave)

The output of the Schmitt Trigger went into pin 10 on the arduino which was set up by the code to read serial data. I literally copy and pasted the code from iwasz's black box project, with one change:

I tried to 'measure' the baud rate of the data coming from the bike using the oscilloscope (and this method: https://www.kumari.net/index.php/random/37-determing-unknown-baud-rate), and calculated 16129. I added that baud rate to the SoftwareSerial library for the arduino, hooked everything up...and voila!

The first image is with just the ignition on, the second is with the engine started at idle, and the third is be revving the engine slightly. The bike was in neutral the whole time.

I was all excited, so I captured a video of it, and then tried to adjust my breadboard to make little more sense, color-coded the wires and stuff, and of course it then stopped working, e.g. I started getting gibberish through the serial port. The circuit is simple enough, I don't think I would have messed it up, I am wondering if my baud rate is close, but technically incorrect. I don't know enough about serial communication and baud rate, if I can be close and have it work sometimes...?

Good questions to ponder in the morning. Time for bed! Blah

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Serial data capture is a success! :rockon:

I was able to captures some useful looking data tonight...the IC I ordered to bring the bike's K-line (serial) signal down to something the arduino likes has not come in yet, so I decided to try and manipulate the signal with what components I have.

Basic circuit logic:
12v square wave (original signal)
zener diode & resistor (brings the peak voltage down to under 5v, however the zero logic state of the wave was at 1.2v-ish, not good for serial communication apparently)
74HC14 Schmitt Trigger (this creates a true 0 to 5 square wave)

The output of the Schmitt Trigger went into pin 10 on the arduino which was set up by the code to read serial data. I literally copy and pasted the code from iwasz's black box project, with one change:

I tried to 'measure' the baud rate of the data coming from the bike using the oscilloscope (and this method: https://www.kumari.net/index.php/random/37-determing-unknown-baud-rate), and calculated 16129. I added that baud rate to the SoftwareSerial library for the arduino, hooked everything up...and voila!

The first image is with just the ignition on, the second is with the engine started at idle, and the third is be revving the engine slightly. The bike was in neutral the whole time.

I was all excited, so I captured a video of it, and then tried to adjust my breadboard to make little more sense, color-coded the wires and stuff, and of course it then stopped working, e.g. I started getting gibberish through the serial port. The circuit is simple enough, I don't think I would have messed it up, I am wondering if my baud rate is close, but technically incorrect. I don't know enough about serial communication and baud rate, if I can be close and have it work sometimes...?

Good questions to ponder in the morning. Time for bed! Blah

Are you still around and tinkering on this????