Landlord Issues

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Me and my family got an eviction notice recently. We're getting the boot because the landlord needs to do some major renovations, and it was deemed unreasonable to have people living there during the renovations. That's all good and fine, as we've been wanting live elsewhere anyways. However, the douche is going full speed ahead with the renovations, even though we haven't moved! They already got crap all over our stuff in the garage, due to the house being power washed. Now they want to start painting the place this week! I REALLY don't want paint all over my car a motorcycles, and I have no where else to put them. Nor enough time TO move them for that matter. And I know he's gonna hire the cheapest people that he can find(he's really cheap), and they're not gonna care what they get paint on. We left him a message last week basically saying he needs to chill, so that we can move, but he clearly doesn't care. What the hell do we do now? I'd hate to have to sue over damages, but I see no other choice. He won't back down, and I know of no legal way to stop him. Does anyone know any laws that might help? Any ideas? We're going to move in a week or two, but if he keeps going, we'll be dodging contractors while trying to move!

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure it varies from state to state but there are laws in every state that regulate that sort of thing. I would suspect that if you received a notice to evict, you also had a deadline date stated on that notice. If you haven't yet reached that date, I'm sure you have rights to compensation for damages but if that date has past, there may be nothing you can do. Contact your local housing athority and see what, if anything, they can tell you.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, we do have laws that compensate for damages. I'd just rather not have to go through all of it. We're only 20 days into the 60 that we have. And we're trying our hardest to get out by the end of the month. I guess I'll search and around and see what, if anything can be done. The hard part is finding who, and how to contact them. These micro-bureaucracies like to hide within others. You should've seen how long it took me to find the local and state codes regarding knife carrying. LOL

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Housing Authority of the County Santa Clara
Property Management
(408) 993-3082
505 W Julian St, San Jose, CA 95110

call them.. explain the situation.. and thank me for getting you the number :thumbup:

you shouldnt have to deal with shady landlords, but if he did give you the notice, then you shouldnt have to deal with him trying to get work done quick (prolly so he can rent it out faster to the next people)... also on a side note, if they continue to do work, try to go out to talk to whoever is in charge.. a 12pack of beer will work wonders to make sure your stuff doesnt get messed up.. good luck :thumbup:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
And buying some cheap plastic paint tarps at Lowe's to put over your stuff would be a good idea, too.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Housing Authority of the County Santa Clara
Property Management
(408) 993-3082
505 W Julian St, San Jose, CA 95110

call them.. explain the situation.. and thank me for getting you the number :thumbup:

you shouldnt have to deal with shady landlords, but if he did give you the notice, then you shouldnt have to deal with him trying to get work done quick (prolly so he can rent it out faster to the next people)... also on a side note, if they continue to do work, try to go out to talk to whoever is in charge.. a 12pack of beer will work wonders to make sure your stuff doesnt get messed up.. good luck :thumbup:

THANK YOU. That's the number I was trying to find. We do have a legal leg to stand on, so to speak. He's been doing all this, and coming over, without giving 24 hours notice prior, like he's supposed to. So now he's gonna eat it. lol

We put up tarps, but we can only seal the garage so well. It's old, and has HUGE gaps everywhere. Hopefully it works if we can't stop them in time.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
keep us up to date.. i hate hearing about crappy landlords, but hopefully it will all work out.. i have had a few crappy ones myself, and its important to know both your rights and theirs... good luck

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll ask my wife if she knows of any recourse you might have - she works at the City of San Jose.

EDIT: She doesn't know of anything offhand within the City, but did find this info:

Bay Area Legal Aid - Housing Program
2 West Santa Clara St.
(408) 283-3700

They can help you to understand the landlord-tenant laws.

Good luck!

Last edited:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so here's a little update. We talked to the painter's boss, and informed him of our concerns. He said that they are using airless sprayers, and that they are very controlled. They will only get paint on whatever they're aiming at. He also said they would be extra cautious with the garage area. Makes sense, as they don't want any legal troubles(what company does?). As for the landlord, well, he's a moron. One of the painters was all pissed off, and talking to his boss on the phone. I asked what was up, and he rolled his eyes, and pointed in the direction of the landlord. LOL Apparently the landlord(which I'll call DB from now on, I'm sure you can guess what it stands for), was being a pain in the rear, and I guess he doesn't want to pay for the primer. So the painters are just going to paint right over the old crap. lol I swear, DB is such a cheap bas****! He's super cheap, and yet all he does is throw his cash away on cheap stuff, and crappy work. I know he's just trying to hide all the problems with that dump, so that he can sell it. I'm so glad were're moving. I can't wait to get out of there, and away from DB.

EDIT REGARDING FIRST POST : I goofed up, we didn't get a legal eviction, but rather a basic 60 day "notice". It's still absurd that DB is doing this while we're still there though.

Last edited: