kill switch- Killed

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

A few months ago, my bike was cutting off power to the engine and if the rev's where low, killing it completely..

At that time, I couldn't figure out that it was the corroded contacts inside the kill switch.

When I finally realized the problem, I opened it up, cleaned and repaired it with a fresh coating of metal.

Yesterday the problem re-appeared as I was driving on the highway.I noticed a little engine braking, as someone cut the power.

Then while a was driving off the highway and the Rev's where pretty low it died on my completely.

The rest of the way a had to keep my finger pushing the switch down in order to keep it running.

When I finally arrived home I decided to short wire the switch and now it runs again like it should, but I lost the kill functionality. In 7 years of riding experience I never used it anyway...

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the bikes have a tip over switch. And it works well. So I don't see the need for the kill engine switch, outside of working on the bike. Like you're adjusting the headlights or something like that. Or in the off chance that your throttle gets stuck and your clutch breaks at the exact same moment both brakes give out, and your shifter got stuck. Then you'd need a kill switch, I guess.

Some people disagree, of course. And I'm sure you'll hear about it. Honestly, I think there still there cause some country somewhere mandates that they're on there. I mean, they took kill switches off cars a long time ago.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the kill switch on my bike every time I ride it. Just habit I guess, I have always had a lot of dirt/dual sport bikes and I always used the kill switch.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you could just use it as a rocket launcher. :eek: It is red and you have to swap out your ordinance every so often so you'd install a new kill swi...I mean rocket launcher switch with ordinance change. :BLAA:

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't use the kill-switch to turn-off the bike.

Especially the fz6. It's very fragile. I did'it for a few years and see what happened!
Always use the key-switch, or (don't laugh), the side-stand, as I sometimes do :p

On my honda xr125 sm, I always killed it from the kill-switch and nothing ever happened. I guess in dirt-bikes they make tougher, to withstand all that dirt and mud?

PS: Rocket-launchers are still illegal here in Greece! With the whole economic crisis and the unrests they might become legitimate...

outapsyt

Reaction score
Visit site
i had the same problem, kept dying on me. almost took a spill taking a turn when the engine cut out, and a few times i almost got launched during hard acceleration in first gear (not cool when the engine cuts out), not to mention the OH CRAP! moments on LA freeways splitting traffic. i was going to just hard wire it or just get a heavy duty toggle switch and get it to fit in that spot, but i took it apart, and there was a little bit of corrosion but i also noticed that the switch assembly was kind of loose especially on the right side... so i just wedged a small piece of 1/4' tubing to help push the contacts better and put a dab of gorilla glue to help keep it in place so it doesn't come out with all the vibrations.

i use the kill switch often especially when i'm come home late. don't want to wake up the neighbors so i just kill it and coast into the driveway.