just first fork drop/rise impressions after lowering my bike

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
so i lowered my bike (cut the rear suspension arm by 1cm) and went through the trip to find the correct fork height that would set the bike to almost standard.

this tests are on the same road with almost the same enviroment and i want to mention that i consider my self a NOT SKILLED rider who still has many things to learn but i thought this info could be usefull for somebody else to share with.

i found that if i cut the rear suspension arm by 1cm it needs 1,7cm fork rising to be like stock. so after i put my suspension back i didn't toutch the forks and went for a test so it was like i dropped them 1,7cm

the test took place on a very good road 10km long with great tarmac that has pretty much everything you need to test your bikes attitude

lets get to the point:

|standard fork / suspension: (+0)
* averege corner speed before feeling that you are ready to lose control of the bike : 120km/h
+ chopping the throttle by mistake when scared has more predictable results
+ no wabling while accelerating hard and change your dirrection simultainusly (like you want to agresively takeover in the straight)
-bike feels it wants to change direction by turning the top when having strong side winds, scares the **** out of you if it happens in the middle of a curve
- cant think another + or -

|standard fork/ cut suspension: (-1.7 like if it was possible to drop the forks 1.7cm)
* averege corner speed before feeling that you are ready to lose control of the bike : 120km/h (this makes me wonder if it happened because of the below -)
- complete loss of the bikes ability to inform me whats happening, you get almost no info from the bike
- i got scared of feeling nothing from the bike and didnt tested too much

|+1cm fork up/ cut suspension: (-0.7 still not possible for standard suspension)
* averege corner speed before feeling that you are ready to lose control of the bike : 120km/h (this makes me wonder if it happened because of the below -)
- a little or no road info, you can crash and never know the reason
+ super relaxed long rides even for the passenger (dont forget to do some click ups to the rear suspension adjuster i did a +2 for a 49kg passenger to avoid the -0.7 being -2 actually)
+ more ball friendly seat position
- still not able to flatfoot on all road situations

|+2.2cm fork up / cut suspension: (+0.5)
* averege corner speed before feeling that you are ready to lose control of the bike : 140km/h (this makes me wonder if it happened because of the below +)
+ extra road info! after some riding you'll sense even a hair!
+ extra cornering speed
+ extra confidence
- a little wabling when accelerating hard and change your dirrection simultainusly (like you want to agresively takeover in the straight) but in a very predictable and very controlable way
+ bike now tries to turn from the low side when having strong side winds (personally i find this easyer from the stock settings because it happens in many situations and your body/brain is more familiar with it and know better what to do)
- going faster in the corner is cool but you better not freak out and chop the throttle!! the choping throttle mistake now has realy bad results!
- super ball smashing seat position but counter effected of the decreased seat height so now intown start-stop ball melting is almost eliminated
+ flatfoot everywhere/ everytime
- the fork seal just kisses the clamp this happens just before the rear weel rises from the braking force

i share all this for discussion and ideas,im a still learning rider and i think this test had a lot of influence of the ride-more/get more confident effect so the results are not crystal clear so dont just do it and start taking corners that you know your limit with +20km/h you will definetly get killed. this results cannot happen on every road and every situation

im starting to think of a fork change but also there is a little voice in my head that says to me to do crazy things like finding a totaled fz6 abs bike for little money and transfering all the abs system to mine with minor now parts. there is also an other voice that screams to me to stop modding and just buy a new bike but i cant help it right now :p

i'd be glad if you are crazy and lazy enough to even read all the post or better to give me your ideas/opinions

p.s. my english sucks, sorry