Just call me Britney...

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got the bike home this weekend to begin the assessment. A heads up for those looking for some aftermarket parts; the following will be removed and sold: Scorpion Exhaust (Already Sold ;) ), Corbin Seat, Penske Rear Shock, Bikemaster Bar-end mirror, Custom Gauge Mount with triple clamps, and Acerbis Headlight.

Replacement front fairing is ordered. More to come as I begin to dig deeper!

Last edited:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont know if I love or hate the headlight conversion.. lol

I was thinking the exact same thing. It's "odd" but at the same time, it looks downright evil. Like the front of the bike is a cyborg or something. Its quickly growing on me.

+1^^ Although I enjoy the look of a naked FZ much more than the half-faired; I am not completely sold on the looks of this headlight. Besides, This is going to be a project for me to likely sell again in the spring; "Streetfighter's" just do not have the resale power as the styling is not for everyone. People in the US just do not like nakeds :don'tknow:

It all depends on how it looks at night... lol :rockon:

The light output is actually pretty good. I will see if I can get a decent shot one of these nights.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wannabee....

R1200GS-headlights.jpg

:D :D :D

(hey, what happened to that big "Yah!" smilie???) :(

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why sell all that stuff? Also, how much for the penske?

Here's the link for the Penske: http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/50952-f-s-penske-8900-series-rear-shock.html

As for the why; I have found that the aftermarket bits, even the high quality well-known name brands, have very little effect on the resale of the bike as a whole (Unless you are very patient and find the exact right buyer). More important to me is that the bike is sound; i.e. good brakes, good tires, etc. Selling of the aftermarket stuff allows me to restore to stock form without breaking the bank!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Clean-Up is well under way; I haven't taken many photos but here is a quick break-down:

-Rear Wheel, Shock, and Swingarm have been Removed (Penske rear shock replaced with a stock 08')
-All bearing and bushing inspected (Nothing needed replacement! Yamaha selected components very well for these bikes.)
-Swingarm and Shock Cleaned, bearings and bushings regreased. Both re-installed.

Here is the current condition of the rear wheel; Lube the chain much! ;)

Before

"After" photo will follow this weekend.

Quick Note: I have said this before but I think it is important to reiterate. REMOVE AND CLEAN THE LOWER SHOCK ATTACHMENT ONCE A YEAR! This is the 5th FZ6 that I have worked on and the 5th FZ6 that I have had to spend lots of time with rust penetrant, degreasers, a dremel, and heat in order to remove the lower shock bushing. The dissimilar metals corrode and make this thing very difficult to remove; even with low mileage (My first, single owner FZ only had 4,800 miles when I attempted to remove the bushing). Regular cleaning and inspection would turn this from a 1.5+ hour job to somethign that could be done in 30 minutes.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks nice.. did you buy everything brand new?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Thank you Sir!

The majority of the components are second hand with the exception of the front fairing (Tried going used and took it in the shorts a little bit). One of the beauties of the FZ6 is that there is a huge used parts market out there. It helps that the majority of the components from the first generation (04-06') are compatible with the second generation (07-09')

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wrapped up the last item tonight: Steering Stem Bearings. The lower bearing was a nice shade of rusty brown and nearly immobile. Check out the before and after of the lower stem bushing. Steering is smooth as buttah' now!

This will be making its way to the classified section in the next few days; priced for fall sale even!

Stem Before:

Stem After:

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
Wrapped up the last item tonight: Steering Stem Bearings. The lower bearing was a nice shade of rusty brown and nearly immobile. Check out the before and after of the lower stem bushing. Steering is smooth as buttah' now!

This will be making its way to the classified section in the next few days; priced for fall sale even!

Stem Before:

Stem After:

What kind of paint did you use for the back part? It looks awesome !!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk