Its HOT, dont let you bike fall over ;)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OUCH!!! Yeah, crushed soda can under sidestand is free insurance against that sort of thing (works great on dirt too).

Vertigo

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely want something under the stand during these hot months. Thankfully, the hospital I work at is very motorcycle friendly and they install a metal plate in your parking spot if you ride a bike to prevent that. Other times I've got a tuna can lid that i've been using in a pinch where I can't find a more stable surface than asphalt.

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly I think this is a INS claim set up. I do believe that the asphalt could do Such a thing, but the amount of damage to the bike is way to much for a tip over, unless it was in a steep grade incline. Plus there is scrapes that indicate the bike was going at speed when this happened, I'm no expert but it won't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out :D

One section of the bike would have taken most of the blow if it was a tip over not the whole thing, fail lol

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I just carry around a kickstand puck. They're like $2 and you can usually get them for free at bike rallies.

Somebody stole my last one though. Rode off and left the rest.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
So since we have centerstands on the fz6. Would that prevent this type of thing?

I havent even used my center stand yet.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly I think this is a INS claim set up. I do believe that the asphalt could do Such a thing, but the amount of damage to the bike is way to much for a tip over, unless it was in a steep grade incline. Plus there is scrapes that indicate the bike was going at speed when this happened, I'm no expert but it won't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out :D

One section of the bike would have taken most of the blow if it was a tip over not the whole thing, fail lol

It was parked on the edge of a cliff
65.gif

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a matching blue "carbon fiber" kickstand puck I bought off ebay for my bikes. It was like $5 shipped. I like the smasked popcan idea though! I am going to do that for my dirtbike!

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site

I too raised an eyebrow at the scrapes on the engine covers. Something certainly seemed a bit strange about the, for the lack of a better term, intensity of said scratches.

basejumpyeah

Reaction score
Visit site
fz6 center stand ftw :rockon:

I would think the bike could fall through on the center stand as well. All it is doing is doubling the points that hold the bike up. If it is hot enough, both could fall through. I do not know if the bike could then tip over, though.

I have had this happen to me back when I road a 1100 ninja. That was a heavy bike... and it wasn't that hot out. 900 dollars of damage done, though. And I didn't even fix everything! I would say the damage in those pictures is pretty severe for a tip over, but, I can say that the damage done to my bike was simular, albeit less severe.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
fz6 center stand ftw :rockon:

Nope. Centerstand is actually less stable than sidestand. It's best to use it for maintenance or storage (getting wheels off the ground). If the pavement melts/crakcs under one of the contact points of centerstand, the bike will tip and if you use centerstand on dirt, the whole stand can sink and the bike will tip.
Large platform under sidestand is the safest approach. :thumbup:

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think the bike could fall through on the center stand as well. All it is doing is doubling the points that hold the bike up. If it is hot enough, both could fall through. I do not know if the bike could then tip over, though.

Nope. Centerstand is actually less stable than sidestand. It's best to use it for maintenance or storage (getting wheels off the ground). If the pavement melts/crakcs under one of the contact points of centerstand, the bike will tip and if you use centerstand on dirt, the whole stand can sink and the bike will tip.
Large platform under sidestand is the safest approach. :thumbup:

thanks for the insight guys, thought i was safe... now ill have to carry a beer under the seat, in case of emergencies of course

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
You weren't running Pilot Road 3's were you? :Flip:
(Sorry, the foil hat people are back... My assumption is that once the stand sunk in an inch or so, the bike "rolled" forward and hit the pavement with just enough forward movement to cause scrapes rather than just impact damage.)

Back to the REAL subject at hand... That's a bummer. And a hell of an expensive act of nature.

I just had to look out the window at work to make sure my bike is still upright. It's about 100F here today and I'm not using a puck. Out lot must have more gravel than tar (or whatever makes for a harder surface in this heat.).

[edit - just noticed that the conspiracy theory was already debunked. :thumbup: I am dissapointed though... I was proud of my deductions.)

Last edited:

LeaN69

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess Hondas are not built as tough as our Yamahas, I dropped mine at over 60mph and the bike had less damage!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't click the link but I have to assume he parked on hot asphalt?

I park on concrete, in the shade at work and carry around a 3/16" aluminum plate in my tank bag for when I have to park on asphalt or dirt.