It has begun!

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
After riding around with damaged fairings/windshield/headlights for almost two years I have finally done something about it. I kind of had an itch to go streetfighter for a while but I don't like the round headlight setups (sorry Buell guys). When I saw Vishnu selling the FZ16 setup I was very interested. I had always liked the FZ1N retrofit but every time I saw it, it was on an 07+ model, since it keeps the cluster in the fairing. Also it cost a lot more.

I was going to make a complete start to finish video since I did the conversion after I came home from work last night (started around 2AM and finished around 10AM with plenty of breaks throughout) but I couldn't find any blank DVR tapes (no laughing). So I did the next best thing and took a ton of pictures.

Here is what I started with. Fairings (inner and outer), windshield, and corner of headlight broken on the left side. Stay tweaked causing the fairing to push into the gas tank and scratching the it. Fairings also warped.
0916100238.jpg

The right side fairings were also cracked, but those were not my doing, they were there when I got it.

First step was to start tearing all the old stuff off. You can see the left side upper mount was missing by how much it is sagging.

0916100255.jpg

And everything is off! It looks like an XR1200...

0916100309.jpg

This is what I was putting on. It wasn't packed like this, I was all eager to see the shiny parts when it arrived and opened everything up.

0916100310.jpg

The hardest part was getting the new stay on, it mounts in the two bolt holes on the lower triple, hooks under the upper triple on the top right corner, and pushes against the ignition cylinder on the top left. When I first saw how it was to mount I was skeptical but it is actually very secure.

0916100359.jpg

Finished up and opened the door...ack sunlight! I haven't put the mirrors on yet because I didn't have the right size allen key at home, I'll grab one from work tonight. I'll also take a better finished picture.

0916101053.jpg

And if anyone is wondering, no those tires are not going on that Rabbit:rof:

Overall the swap wasn't too bad, just very time consuming. I also raised the tank, removed the airbox and battery, and pulled the extra wiring into the frame during this time so that took a fair bit of time. I honestly didn't think the flash relay was going to fit up there.

I am still far from done but now I have a thread to keep me going! Trying to decide whether to go for an HID headlight or CF front fender next...

PS: Bonus points for whoever recognizes what movie my thread title is from.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to make a complete start to finish video since I did the conversion after I came home from work last night (started around 2AM and finished around 10AM with plenty of breaks throughout) but I couldn't find any blank DVR tapes (no laughing). So I did the next best thing and took a ton of pictures.

I did laugh about you still recording with tapes but you can laugh back at me now. What are DVR tapes?? :confused:

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome work! I don't think I'd ever do the conversion to my bike because I like the looks, but I like the naked look too!

I don't know what DVR tapes are either.

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey looks good! I just did the same conversion with the same headlight and am very pleased. Painted some stuff black like the sliver sides on the headlight, the radiator shrouds and the front forks.
More to come but all I could get done over the weekend. Hope you love your new nakkid as much as I love mine!:rockon:

009lpd.jpg

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Oops I meant DV, not DVR. They are little tapes about 2 inches by an inch and a half, so the camera is still small, and it works with imovie via firewire so its easy to use. And nobody got the movie reference right yet though, maybe I just have a weird taste in film.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT4nmnr6fWk]YouTube - Mortal Kombat Trailer[/ame]

I'll take some more pictures in the morning when it's light out, and when I have mirrors:D

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^ dude, you lost your front fender.

Yeah I know. Like I said I'm not done yet lol. Being patient and keeping an eye out for some good deals. Remember I'm a poor college kid who can't afford mac n chz. only once my motorcycle looks awesome. I mean it is the best study break I've ever had :BLAA:

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Watching conversions is like painting a canvas. Everyone tends to achieve the same goal, but the results are always different in the end. Good luck!:thumbup:

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And nobody got the movie reference right yet though, maybe I just have a weird taste in film.

Dang it! If only i saw the thread earlier - that was the first thing that came to my mind when i read your post.

And aint nothing wrong with the taste - i love that movie. even have a soundtrack somewhere in the depth of my ipod. did you see the video for the new one they are supposedly making?

Need more pix of the result!!!!

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I did see that they are making a new Mortal Kombat movie, I can't wait! The first one is one of my all-time favorite movies. I even have Annihilation even though it wasn't near as good as the first one.

I don't have any pictures in cool locations yet, but I snapped a few outside my parents' house. I went on a little ride last night after work specifically to get to a spot to get a night picture (there is a hockey rink out in the middle of nowhere that is usually always lit up at night) but I got there and apparently they are doing construction on it and had all the lights off.:shakehead:

You can see my other money sink in some of the pictures, that is what the tires from the first pictures are going on. :D I wish it was as cheap working on that as the bike is.

0917101545.jpg

0918101504.jpg

0918101504a.jpg

This shot is a little dark but just showing how the stock cluster fits nicely behind the new windshield.

0918101504b.jpg

And of course the obligatory:

0918101541.jpg

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
So far I have done:

R6 forks, brakes, fender
Goodridge braided brake lines
FZ16 conversion
Moto-777 adjustable levers
Oso2k setback plates
Fender eliminator
LED rear signals
LED taillight/turn signal

Still on my to-do list:

DPM Race horn relocate/frame plug
Carbon fiber front fender to replace R6 one
crash bar to replace sliders
Apex clipons
R6 rearsets
Ixil slipon
Speedohealer
PCV
HID retrofit
Rizoma turn signals
Carbon fiber rear hugger
07+ swingarm
Seat cowl
Euro naked clutch lever perch
Mirrors, thinking OEM naked Yamaha ones
Repaint

I already have -1/+2 Supersprox sprockets but need to get a new chain before I put them on.

So I still have a LONG way to go, but I've got it started. Except the paint and slipons most of the rest is little things here and there.