Is this the normal tickingnoise that fz6's are known for? *VIDEO*

spc mike

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this the normal ticking noise that fz6's are known for? *VIDEO*

I was wondering if this is the sound that your guy's bikes are normally making? My bike is a 2006 that has 10,500 miles on it. Gonna switch to synthetic to see if it gets quieter.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dshImH6wYQI"]YouTube - fz6 ticking noise.[/ame]

Last edited:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say mines even louder with a more clear "tick". I wouldn't worry :)

I'm trying to get an audio file or vid of the sound while moving. I have an audio file, but still havent found a way of successfully posting it here.

Scorpio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sleepymas

Reaction score
Visit site
it got louder when you went down near exhaust near header and near end of video. do you have an exhaust leak, small ones can come out as a tick noise?

what exhaust is that it sounds good?

does it tick when you rev it up or just at idle?

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
My '06 with 6300 miles sounds identical. The noise can vary in volume, depending on outside temperature. I think it's either a noisy cam chain tensioner, and/or noisy valves. You should hear my father's '09! That thing makes tons of racket!

spc mike

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, thanks guys. That makes me feel a lot better, however i am going to check the operation of my tensioner today to make sure it cycle smoothly. @ sleepymas, i thought it was to the header leaking at first too, but i know for a fact that its coming from the engine itself.....and my exhaust is the old style Scorpion system with a cat delete pipe. Thanks again for all your feedback.

sleepymas

Reaction score
Visit site
I figured it wasn't that but wanted to make sure it was not overlooked before you jumped into the motor. good luck, mine had a slight tick that seems to have gone away after my oil change.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mike et. Al.,

Mine is an '09, and as another mentioned, it's pretty loud as well.

Tested all joints for leaks, replaced gaskets, etc. to no avail. Two dealers said it's normal and have heard worse. Tried using the screwdriver method as a stetho near the CCT but it actually SEEMS louder on the other side and lower on mine, near the oil cooler.

As another post mentioned, it does seem to vary with temp., gets louder as te heat goes up for me.

Changed weight/type of oil and filter as well. Gas, too. I'm almost at the poor where I can let it go!

If you find anything with the CCT, let s know. Or anything else for that matter. :)

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a healthy FZ6 to me. I read somewhere that its actually the fuel injectors and that it is normal. Sorry, can't seem to find the link!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have more of a rattling noise around the top of my valve area, or at least coming somewhere from the engine.

It gets worse when I give it slight throttle but sometimes I can get it to go away when I roll on and off the throttle too.

ScubaSteve08

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like you don't have enough oil in the engine.....but if its running just fine then it doesn't sound like an oil problem. When you do oil changes, do you run the bike and re-check the oil level to top it off? That whisking sound just sounds an awful lot like my dad's car when the oil filter cracked and leaked out all the oil. Valves would make a lot nastier noise if they were damaged.

spc mike

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like you don't have enough oil in the engine.....but if its running just fine then it doesn't sound like an oil problem. When you do oil changes, do you run the bike and re-check the oil level to top it off? That whisking sound just sounds an awful lot like my dad's car when the oil filter cracked and leaked out all the oil. Valves would make a lot nastier noise if they were damaged.

There is plenty of oil in the engine. Actually a little too much from the previous owner doing his own oil changes. I have only had the bike for a couple of weeks.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oddly enough, my 2007 doesn't sound like that.. No tick.. I wouldn't worry about it, since so many have the same "tick"..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_FsIsYqVD4]YouTube - Another Valve noise[/ame]

fireball

Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup:I just bought an 06 with 18k on it from a friend and it makes the exact same noise. I would have to say its normal(he has ran synthetic since new)

spc mike

Reaction score
Visit site
do you guys hear it when accelerating and down shifting? I can and it really bothers me, there has got to be a remedy to this, like maybe a different oil pump or cooler???

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hear it whenever I'm on the throttle, but it's most noticeable for me when I'm at 4-5k in 2nd or 3rd gear. Thats when it seems to be loudest before it gets drowned out by other noises But it may be a different noise as I would describe it as a slight tick at idle, but more of a buzz or whirring at throttle.
Or maybe a rapid ticking :)

The earliest I remember hearing the noise would have been around 1500 miles on the odo, which is when I did my first tb sync and switched to synthetic.

Scorp

Last edited:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hear it whenever I'm on the throttle, but it's most noticeable for me when I'm at 4-5k in 2nd or 3rd gear. Thats when it seems to be loudest before it gets drowned out by other noises But it may be a different noise as I would describe it as a slight tick at idle, but more of a buzz or whirring at throttle.
Or maybe a rapid ticking :)

The earliest I remember hearing the noise would have been around 1500 miles on the odo, which is when I did my first tb sync and switched to synthetic.

Scorp

This vid is for comparison to others. 09 at idle:

Scorp

Last edited:

cyberkiller

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 09 and it sounds exactly the same as the last vid, i mean a ticking noise but not as loud as the first user.

I have noticed that my sound in fact gets louder when the bike is cold, and is keeping lowering as it heats up.

I dont try to use even the thottle when the bike is cold, i always wait until the coolant gets at least 60 degress, in fact if i do that the throttle response is inmediate without hesittation.