Is the FZ6 fast enough???

audible

Hear Me?
Reaction score
Visit site
Been in your shoes:

Had BMW Z3, thought it was hot and fast...got smoked by a Mustang GT...:eek:

Had a Harley 883 with pipes and a stage II kit...cool, but allway's smoked by ricer's...:(

The cycle is never ending...just when you get what you want, there will be something faster or cooler than what you have. I finally learned: buy something you can live with and enjoy it. :surrender:

Audible :thumbup:

Last edited:

flashgordon

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the FZ6 fast enough?
i had a zx7r before the fz which was faster top end and excelaration but i still keep with my mates on the twisties on the fz6 although i maybe have to work a bit harder. My point being a bought the fz because i feel i can use more of the performance more of the time and if i wanted to ride at those speeds more often i would have a sportsbike as its more suited to the job (position wise).

One thing i remember from a ride out on an old 98 Fazer was someones comment on how well i was keeping up as most the others were on 1000cc rockets which gave me a warm feeling inside.

For me its about purpose and the Fz6 does it for me, but in case anyone wonders yes i do miss the power of the zx7 but i'm learning to cope without it;)

having said all that if i could afford it i would have an Fz1 :Flash:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The fastest I've gone is 130MPH, actual speed with speedohealer installed and GPS verified.
Probably would've been 145+ on the stock speedo.

Now, last week I passed an M3 that was doing 120 and honked at him with the stebel airhorn as I went by his open window at 12,000RPM.

So yes it's fast enough for most situation.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
The fastest I've gone is 130MPH, actual speed with speedohealer installed and GPS verified.
Probably would've been 145+ on the stock speedo.

Now, last week I passed an M3 that was doing 120 and honked at him with the stebel airhorn as I went by his open window at 12,000RPM.

So yes it's fast enough for most situation.

Thats awesome!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What better braking do you speak of? Does the 1 have radial mounted 4-pot calipers? If so, do you really see the benefit of that over the 6's regular 4-pot calipers on the street?

It sounds like you think the only reason anyone would buy a 6 over a 1 is the cost...? You realize the 6 does things the 1 can't, right?

If I ever considered a 1, it'd be for the torque. Although, 1 down in the front and not weighing a ton goes a long way on the 6.

The better braking Nate is the larger rotors and pads that allow a better stopping distance when you couple this with the (stock vs. stock) forks and adjust ability. The FZ1 is built with a better stock braking system due to the engine size.

Do you also realize that the FZ1 can do a lot more things than the 6, right? We can toy with that conversation back and forth all day long. Did you know a Ninja 250 can do a lot more than both my FZ1 AND your FZ6 (with the proper experienced rider)??? Skills far outweigh the the size of the engine. Proven fact!

As for the 1 weighing a "ton" more than the 6.... stock wet weight is a difference is 26 lbs. Not a lot by anyone's standards and the power to weight ratio eliminates any discussion of what bike is better in the category. Take into account the TB exhaust, the weight reduction over the stock and the new power to weight ratio and we've crossed yet another threshold. Not the best argument to have with simple fact on the table. ;)

In my very short term experience with the FZ1, it will allow me to push my limits harder without FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) than the stock FZ6 would allow. Being an experienced rider with common sense abound, the FZ1 is clearly a better bike all around and gives me more confidence (stock) than I ever had on the FZ6. I've never been able to achieve the cornering speed I have on the FZ1 with the FZ6.

I'm not trying to get into a pi$$ing match, I'm just stating my experience as I know it. I wouldn't tell anyone a story just to impress. This is based on my solid opinion. :D

Last edited:

Crotalus

Reaction score
Visit site
I know I am not nearly the most experienced rider here, but the fz6 is fast enough for me, at least for now. I have had it up to 126 MPH (no speed healer), and the only reason I let off was because that was fast enough for me (the bike had alot more).
If you really want to keep up with 'busas and literbikes, buy one of those. The FZ1 is a fine bike, but like the FZ6 it is a compromise of comfort, speed and COST. That's why the fz6 costs MUCH less than an r6 and an FZ1 costs less than an R1.
The FZ6 is more capable in handling and speed than I am in rider skill at this time. But more than that, (I researched it) a new R1's payments would be about 1 1/2 times what I am paying now and insurance would nearly triple. I would be paying alot more for a bike that I could ride less (due to uncomfortable seating position, in relative to the fz6).
I have alot of rider friends who ride for hours. I want to too..and the fz6 is the bike for me.

sfcali86

Proud Dad
Reaction score
Visit site
i think we all get the itch to have a faster bike at some point, we will just never be happy we are humans we are competative. if you got the r1 then when that 1300 passes you by you'll want that. its just human nature we want to be the best even if we will never exceed to the potential of the bike we want to know its there

Z

Zealadin

The better braking Nate is the larger rotors and pads that allow a better stopping distance when you couple this with the (stock vs. stock) forks and adjust ability. The FZ1 is built with a better stock braking system due to the engine size.

Do you also realize that the FZ1 can do a lot more things than the 6, right? We can toy with that conversation back and forth all day long. Did you know a Ninja 250 can do a lot more than both my FZ1 AND your FZ6 (with the proper experienced rider)??? Skills far outweigh the the size of the engine. Proven fact!

As for the 1 weighing a "ton" more than the 6.... stock wet weight is a difference is 26 lbs. Not a lot by anyone's standards and the power to weight ratio eliminates any discussion of what bike is better in the category. Take into account the TB exhaust, the weight reduction over the stock and the new power to weight ratio and we've crossed yet another threshold. Not the best argument to have with simple fact on the table. ;)

In my very short term experience with the FZ1, it will allow me to push my limits harder without FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) than the stock FZ6 would allow. Being an experienced rider with common sense abound, the FZ1 is clearly a better bike all around and gives me more confidence (stock) than I ever had on the FZ6. I've never been able to achieve the cornering speed I have on the FZ1 with the FZ6.

I'm not trying to get into a pi$$ing match, I'm just stating my experience as I know it. I wouldn't tell anyone a story just to impress. This is based on my solid opinion. :D

Some people will always find a larger bike much better for their needs, whether its how much they weigh, that they are a faster rider, or just their enjoyment of that extra power.
That doesn't actually mean its a better bike. Its just better for that person.
Unless your doing something wrong you shouldn't ever have issues with the FZ6 brakes, the FZ1 has better brakes because you can be going faster, which means you need them. Also for the extra money for a FZ1 you could massively upgrade a 6' and probably have an equally good bike.

Also making a comparison like this is really hard, I have a FZ6 and have never tried a FZ1, but say the FZ6 is a fantastic bike.
Most people who have a FZ1 probably upgraded or chose it for a specific reason in relation to what they enjoy, and how they ride. For them its a fantastic bike most likely.
If the FZ1 was just a better bike there wouldn't be a FZ6.
Both generally get amazing writeups in magazines as being the best bikes in their class, but they generally are aimed at slightly different groups.

If being the fastest bike on the road is a worry then expect to be upgrading every year.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i think we all get the itch to have a faster bike at some point, we will just never be happy we are humans we are competative. if you got the r1 then when that 1300 passes you by you'll want that. its just human nature we want to be the best even if we will never exceed to the potential of the bike we want to know its there

For me, it wasn't "faster" that I wanted, it was better handling, better braking and more power throughout the lower band of RPMs that was needed. I still travel the same speeds in the straights but can now negotiate turns better due to later braking in the entry, tighter turning with better stock suspension and faster exits after rolling on the throttle at the apex.

It's true that I can twist the throttle in the straights and beat a lot of bikes but I avoid straights and look for corners. Plus, I'm not looking to beat anyone, just be a personal perfectionist in the corners. I ride "The Pace" as a rule. :D

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the FZ6 is fast enough. It has more than enough power to get you into trouble. But more power is fun. :thumbup: One of the "other" rides is currently a Bandit 1200. Which after the jet kit arrives will be making 80ft lbs tq instead of the 40 the FZ6 produces. :D

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up a leftover '08 FZ6 a few weeks ago. The dealer also had an '08 FZ1 on the floor. I admit I was tempted by the FZ1. The rationalization was that, with a 1000, I would not feel the need to upgrade any time soon. But, even the 600 will take me faster than I can legally ride. Around Baltimore there are no long, empty expanses of roads where you might be able to go over 100mph. And, finally, the honking, ugly, cancerous growth of a muffler on the FZ1 was just too much. :D

Tim

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some people will always find a larger bike much better for their needs, whether its how much they weigh, that they are a faster rider, or just their enjoyment of that extra power.
That doesn't actually mean its a better bike. Its just better for that person.

I will give you that and apologize. The comments to Nate were all in reference to what you've pointed out. It may not be the better bike for everyone but in that post above, add "for me" to it all.

Unless your doing something wrong you shouldn't ever have issues with the FZ6 brakes, the FZ1 has better brakes because you can be going faster, which means you need them. Also for the extra money for a FZ1 you could massively upgrade a 6' and probably have an equally good bike.

Yes and no. I've owned both model years of the FZ6 and can say without a doubt that the quality of the components used to build the brakes between the 6 and the 1 are different. Yes, for the 1, they do need to be bigger and better to stop a liter bike, but they stop a lot quicker in my emergency stopping practices than I could with the FZ6.

For the extra money, you can upgrade an FZ6 but you'll not be likely to end up with an equally good bike. It's still a 600 in the end. Besides, stock for stock, a pro will beat us both on almost any bike you throw under him.

Also making a comparison like this is really hard, I have a FZ6 and have never tried a FZ1, but say the FZ6 is a fantastic bike.

I owned the '05 FZ6, the '08 FZ6 and they absolutely WERE fantastic bikes. You can quote me (before riding the Dragon) here in the past saying that it was fast enough (still is because again, this isn't about speed as I have mentioned several times already...) and that I would likely never be able to push the bike to its limits. Well, the Dragon proved me wrong because I did exceed the limits of the bike and almost went down hard. Upon return, I decided I needed something with better handling and braking but with the same comfortable ergos as the FZ6. The FZ1 is that bike. The 6 still is a fantastic bike and many here may never push it to the limits and be extremely happy with it forever.

Most people who have a FZ1 probably upgraded or chose it for a specific reason in relation to what they enjoy, and how they ride. For them its a fantastic bike most likely.
If the FZ1 was just a better bike there wouldn't be a FZ6.

I see where this came from and again, my post was misleading and I apologize for not saying "...better for me" throughout.

If being the fastest bike on the road is a worry then expect to be upgrading every year.

One last time folks, for all of you willing to read it.... this is NOT about the FASTEST bike for me. I did not trade the FZ6 for an FZ1 because I wanted to go FASTER. Both bikes will go from Zero to Ticket in first gear. :Flip: :spank: :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After having done 28 miles of 30/40/50mph speed limited roads round the isle of man circuit you come across a very sharp hairpin (the 2nd slowest section of the track) after which is 200 yards of roadcones and then there is 10 miles of unlimited, one-way road over the mountain. It is then that you begin to think, on an FZ6, that power is lacking. No cops, no speed limits, open sweeping bends (with death just the other side of the crash barrier) and I pinned that mother until 14000rpm in 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and 5th. I didn't hit 6th because 132mph was the maximum I could reach on the mountain roads. I was overtaken by GSX-R 1000's and Hayabusa's by R1's and Fireblade's. It was then, with the throttle pinned open and my chin on the tank that I thought "I NEED MORE POWER".

On the way home I hit 152mph on the motorway at 3am but this was back to real world conditions with no mountains, no corners and no hayabusa's up my arse.

So, is the FZ6 fast enough? I say yes for 99% of the time but I want 100% of the time so am seriously pining for a 1 litre

I think we strayed a bit here on Matt's perspective of, if you want to hang with the liter boys on a 10 mile straight you need a liter bike.

We all agree the FZ6 is a GREAT sport/touring bike, with an emphasis on sport, but to hang at The Isle you need a big bike.

In 2007 John McGuiness had a lap record on a 1000 Honda of 17:21, average speed of 130.5 mph in the Senior TT Class. That same year Guy Martin set the 600 record on a Honda at 18:05, avg spd 125.1 mph in the Super Sport Jr. TT. While 5 mph may not sound like a lot the liter bike gave John the top end and punch out of the corners hence the lower times. (Assuming both riders on of similar skill level)

If you are on an open track the liter bike will motor by the smaller bike, its as simple as a twist of the wrist. (Pun intended Keith. :D)

So is the the FZ6 fast enough? Sure for everyday ridding, but for the Isle a liter bike is the ticket. The extra torque of a liter is nice for everyday ridding too.

Finally, the difference between an FZ6 and an FZ1 I can't comment on as I've not ridden an FZ1, but I can tell you going from the FZ6 to the 1125R the difference is night and day. The 11's chassis provides much better feedback, the sporty position makes it much easier to go fast and the torque makes it easier to drive out of corners.

So Matt, when does the R1 arrive??? :D

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that I'm pushing the limits on the bike, I'm feeling that it's not as nimble as I would like... And sometimes I'm accelerating as hard as it will go, front end dancing on the pavement and I still want more, especially in the 180+ range.... But I guess I'm expecting a bit much out of it lol.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The better braking Nate is the larger rotors and pads that allow a better stopping distance when you couple this with the (stock vs. stock) forks and adjust ability.

Ah, bigger rotors too.

Do you also realize that the FZ1 can do a lot more things than the 6, right? We can toy with that conversation back and forth all day long. Did you know a Ninja 250 can do a lot more than both my FZ1 AND your FZ6 (with the proper experienced rider)???

Yes I realize that; that was the entire point of my post.

I was talking about MY weight, not either bike's weight (my post was not very clear). Different riders, different bikes, different priorities, different skills....again, sums up my point.

I wouldn't tell anyone a story just to impress.

Oh, no worries at all. I may have read into your other threads/posts too much, but it seemed to me that you felt that if possible, we would all be fools not to go for the 1. I tend to read into things too much though...:thumbup:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As well, Nate... I also wasn't 100% clear in getting my points across.

And you are a fool for not going out RIGHT NOW and getting the FZ1! ;) :D :justkidding:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't you guys get it!?!?!?!? I've been saying it for years!!!! The FZ6 is the best bike on the planet and the ONLY bike that anyone should consider!!!!

/thread

:D