is it just me? (regarding helmet lock)

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
i find it difficult to lock my helmet cuz the passenger footpeg is in the way. it can be done but i have to wiggle here and there to get the d-ring through the hoop. took off the pegs and vola!

when i'm riding 2up i doubt i can lock two helmets there, can i?

westgoingzax

I ride a motorcycle
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a problem locking one helmet to the bike when the passenger peg is up. I haven't tried two helmets though.

RaVzTeR

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been able to hook the D rings of two full face helmets to the helmet lock; I even had my saddle bags on a few occasions.

It is doable; just requires a bit of patience, technique and a whole lot of perservierance.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, me and my '06 don't want to hear about your helmet lock woes. :Flip:

(We don't have a lock btw)

Been thinking about these bar end locks from Aerostich. Too bad they don't seem to come in black. Plus I have a lot of other things I could spend $80-90 on. (I'll need that money for a new helmet after mine gets swiped from the pass foot peg. :spank:
1460ali.jpg

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep the passenger pegs folded too. I usually have more trouble getting the helmet back off than putting it on though. :shrug:

600ccdevil

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, me and my '06 don't want to hear about your helmet lock woes. :Flip:

(We don't have a lock btw)

Ahhh......That explains why I couldn't find one. Hahahaha thanks for the heads up. Atleast the '06 is faster so it makes up for the lack of helmet lock :sinister:

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
^ hey man what happened here?

Trouble w/mine too - always seem to get grease (from somewhere in that area) on my fingers as I try to wiggle the helmet strap buckles onto the "U" hook :confused: Fortunately, the grease doesn't seem to end up on the helmet strap itself (somehow) :confused:

BTW, to answer your, "...what happened...", question - I think those are where the side bag/luggage racks secure on...mine looks kinda like that with the side bags/luggage racks off.

djsegura

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhh......That explains why I couldn't find one. Hahahaha thanks for the heads up. Atleast the '06 is faster so it makes up for the lack of helmet lock :sinister:

For all of us without the lock this is what I did and it works great and a cheap solution and I think even better than what is out there for sale. I did get this idea from someone here I think so I am not going to take all the credit. I just used the coated cable from the hardware store and couple of S hooks. I used a bit longer cable so I can also lock up my back pack when I dont want to carry it with me.

Dr.Volts

Dr.Volts
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's your answer. Try this handy helmet lock extender. It is a simple piece of metal that goes into the helmet D rings and has a hole that goes through the U shaped lock on the bike. Here are the details. I use mine all the time and it completely eliminates the helmet lock difficulty. It fits in your pocket when not in use. It's inexpensive, too.

Cycle Gear - HELMET LOCK: Lockable D-Ring Extension

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a helmet lock, but never use it. I can't imagine hanging a $300 helmet off the side of my bike...I'd rather take it with me. If its not on my head its in the helmet bag anyway.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For all of us without the lock this is what I did and it works great and a cheap solution and I think even better than what is out there for sale. I did get this idea from someone here I think so I am not going to take all the credit. I just used the coated cable from the hardware store and couple of S hooks. I used a bit longer cable so I can also lock up my back pack when I dont want to carry it with me.

I like that because it prevents someone from cutting the strap.