install of oxford heated grips

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
So I want to install my heated grips today! What I want to know is what do I need to connect my grips to something that will shut them off with the key. I have all the parts to do a normal install to the battery and turn it off with the control box, but I don't want to be able to leave them on and drain the battery. Do I need to buy a relay before I connect it to the ignition wire? Also, I want to change bars later, so how do I install my grips so I can remove them later without destroying them?
TwistedThrottle.com : Oxford Heaterz Heated Motorcycle Handlebar Grips for 7/8-inch Diameter Handlebars (Touring Style) - OXF.26.0695
these are the grips I have.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about turning it off with the key, but as to changing bars, Prebstar did that with his XJR when he changed from OEM to Rizoma bars. All he did was use a compressor and levered it with a thin screwdriver to break the seal. No problems.

Also, when you're trying to remove the grips, heat them up for a while - really helps with loosening the glue.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I want to install my heated grips today! What I want to know is what do I need to connect my grips to something that will shut them off with the key. I have all the parts to do a normal install to the battery and turn it off with the control box, but I don't want to be able to leave them on and drain the battery. Do I need to buy a relay before I connect it to the ignition wire? Also, I want to change bars later, so how do I install my grips so I can remove them later without destroying them?
TwistedThrottle.com : Oxford Heaterz Heated Motorcycle Handlebar Grips for 7/8-inch Diameter Handlebars (Touring Style) - OXF.26.0695
these are the grips I have.

I had my oxford hotgrips installed at my local garage so I can't tell you how to do it but the garage told me it will automatically turn itself off if left on, anyway I've had to bump start my bike twice because of it, and both times the heated grips were still on :eek: so yes add a relay to switch it on :thumbup: good luck with the install.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my oxford hotgrips installed at my local garage so I can't tell you how to do it but the garage told me it will automatically turn itself off if left on, anyway I've had to bump start my bike twice because of it, and both times the heated grips were still on :eek: so yes add a relay to switch it on :thumbup: good luck with the install.
Thanks, I don't want to have to bump start it, my friend had to do that with his a few times too!:spank:

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about turning it off with the key, but as to changing bars, Prebstar did that with his XJR when he changed from OEM to Rizoma bars. All he did was use a compressor and levered it with a thin screwdriver to break the seal. No problems.

Also, when you're trying to remove the grips, heat them up for a while - really helps with loosening the glue.
When you said to heat them up, will a hair dryer do to loosen the stock grips? Also, I remember wolfman saying something about using wire to hold the grips on?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When you said to heat them up, will a hair dryer do to loosen the stock grips? Also, I remember wolfman saying something about using wire to hold the grips on?
We cut the stock grips off. As for changing your bars AFTER you've installed the heated grips, just turning them on for a few minutes heats them up.

flash

Reaction score
Visit site
The Oxford grips are awsome! They have a neat feature that if they are left on with out the bike running they will only drain the battery to I think its 11 or 11.5 volts, then shut them selves off. This is enough power to start the bike, I have done that exact thing. I would only be concerned if I was riding in really cold weather.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I installed them like the directions said to, and when I was putting my bar ends back on, I over tighten one and broke the part that you thread the bar end to!:spank::spank:

I guess I need to get a fz1 bar now!:BLAA: