I'm Done..

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
So I was planning on riding into work this entire week and then putting the bike away for the season this weekend, but after this mornings commute, I am calling it quits today.

Was 37 degrees this morning and by the time I got in my hands were llike blocks of ice. They are still in pain as they continue to thaw out. I was legit worried I was at risk for frost bite of the fingers.

My upper body was fine, as were my legs, but my hands just cant take this. Not to mention, the roads were a little wet from melting snow and definitely slicker than usual, there was salt residue on the roads which is no good for the bike and doesnt cater to safe riding, and my mask was getting spray and had some fog issues.

So thats it! Bike will be getting cleaned up real nice on Sunday and put in my parents garage till next year. Very sad to see it go, not excited about having to take the train, but the time has come. I put over 7K on her this year (between the FZ and my old 650R) so I feel like its been a fruitful season of riding.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i busted out my heated gloves a few days ago, they were actually a bit too warm when i was stopped or going slow

we had a bit of a mini heat wave yesterday (15C!), so i was just out with my leathers, summer gloves, and thermals underneath :D

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
we had a bit of a mini heat wave yesterday (15C!), so i was just out with my leathers, summer gloves, and thermals underneath :D

"Heat Wave"??? OMG I would be still in bed under the covers at that temp!

Which is why I will probably never leave South Florida lol.

D

Dave.TX

I'm in central Texas and went riding Saturday morning (pie run!). It started out in the 40's and warmed up into the 60's on my way back. The only thing I should have done was wear the neck gaiter on the way home as my neck got a bit chilled. Still a new rider that's the coldest I've ridden in. It's quickly warming up again, will be in the 80's the next couple of days and no snow in sight. Just like Florida I'm quite a bit further south than all you guys but unlike Florida we get those Canadian cold fronts in the winter and sometimes freeze. The national weather service is predicting a warmer and dryer winter for Texas so hopefully won't have to put the bike away for any length of time.

Mmmmm, Newcastle Brown Ale...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
My phone said it was 36° this morning when i left the house to head to work (about 6am) thats the coldest ive rode on the 6 and with my heated gear it was just fine and dandy. The coldest ive rode was 14° on the vstrom. But without heated gear i think 40° would be my limit

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
My phone said it was 36° this morning when i left the house to head to work (about 6am) thats the coldest ive rode on the 6 and with my heated gear it was just fine and dandy. The coldest ive rode was 14° on the vstrom. But without heated gear i think 40° would be my limit

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Yea, I think 40 at the very lowest will be my new cutoff temp. It was around 37 when I left this morning and without the heated gear it was way too cold. It's really just my hands that suffer.

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
It was -5C (23F) on my ride to work this morning. I only have about a 15min ride to work and about 2min at highway speeds. Still riding with summer gloves but had to turn on my heated grips this morning. The 14 day forecast looks like I will get a couple more weeks of riding and I can break my riding season record. Usually the bike is packed away by Nov. 1st.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
It was -5C (23F) on my ride to work this morning. I only have about a 15min ride to work and about 2min at highway speeds. Still riding with summer gloves but had to turn on my heated grips this morning. The 14 day forecast looks like I will get a couple more weeks of riding and I can break my riding season record. Usually the bike is packed away by Nov. 1st.

I wish. My commute is 35 miles each way, all of which is highway. The forcast says it will warm up to about 50 by late this afternoon so I am hoping for a slightly more enjoyable ride home.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I think i am done too. The Mrs says time to work on the defunct Fireplace project. longer story.. not going into it

We changed plans Sunday from riding to the motorcycle museum in Newburgh, NY to a more manageable trip to Montauk point, LI. We did more miles but were able to see roads were clear of snow. yeah I said that s n o w. wtf are are starting winter 2 months early?

The ride was pretty good although too much wind and the ride back got pretty frigid cold once the sun went down.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I think i am done too. The Mrs says time to work on the defunct Fireplace project. longer story.. not going into it

We changed plans Sunday from riding to the motorcycle museum in Newburgh, NY to a more manageable trip to Montauk point, LI. We did more miles but were able to see roads were clear of snow. yeah I said that s n o w. wtf are are starting winter 2 months early?

The ride was pretty good although too much wind and the ride back got pretty frigid cold once the sun went down.

Yea man, was sad I couldnt make it, but then again, it was a pretty cold day. And I cant get over this snow in October rubbish..what gives!?

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
Cant you get some Oxford Grips??? Or an older bike for the winter???

(Although i can talk,mines not even on the road yet!!)

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Cant you get some Oxford Grips??? Or an older bike for the winter???

(Although i can talk,mines not even on the road yet!!)

Of course I could always get heated gear or an older bike to ride through the winter, but it just doesnt seem practical or worthwhile for me. We get enough snow here that I just dont consider it worth it. Also not really interested in buying and subsequently insuring a second bike, and I dont want to abuse the FZ with winter conditions.

I just have to bite teh bullet and train it for the colder months of the year..