I never expected this to happen... (crash)

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
So I was riding to work yesterday, first time in a couple weeks I've actually been able to ride the bike a decent distance. About halfway into my trip, I was stopped at a red light behind about 5 cars. When the light turned green, the 5 cars in front of me took off and so did I, but the 3rd car in the line unexpectedly slammed on their brakes. The chain reaction didn't leave me much time to brake, and when I did the front brake lever broke off of the adjuster piece (the brake master cylinder and lever are from an R6S). I ended up rear ending the car in front of me because the rear couldn't get me stopped in time and I didn't really realize that my lever had broken at that time. It was a lot going on in a tiny amount of time.

So the tank hit my boys pretty square on, the bike fell on the left side and broke off the frame slider and mirror, and the front fender is busted. Not too much damage, but the busted lever prevented me from riding it home or to work, so I ended up being 2 hours late. The lady was nice and the cop a couple cars behind me didn't write me a ticket or anything. Didn't need to exchange insurance, but I'm going to have the lady's bumper repainted. Overall, probably $250 between the two vehicles, sore balls, wrist, and pride.

The lever broke off just like this guys (an sv650, in the exact same place) Front brake lever BROKE OFF with a good SQUEEZE - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you are ok, but this sounds terrifying. Squeezing the lever and still moving into the car! Just so I'm clear was this a stock FZ6 lever or a retrofit with R6 parts? The mixed lineage of our FZ6 gets me confused (detuned r6 motor etc).

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hope you feel better man! Get a bowl put some water and ice in it and yeeeeeeeowwwww!!!!:eek:

Well this is certainly a safety issue. The only thing that can really be done is everyone should get those Pazzo or ASV levers they've been wanting. This is a safety issue..:rolleyes:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you are ok, but this sounds terrifying. Squeezing the lever and still moving into the car! Just so I'm clear was this a stock FZ6 lever or a retrofit with R6 parts? The mixed lineage of our FZ6 gets me confused (detuned r6 motor etc).

His lever was from the R6s which was an economy version of the R6.
Doesn't matter .....I'm getting ASV's

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds like awesome excuse to upgrade your levers. I'd say that's the best possible situation that you'd break a brake lever stopping for with the exception of a huge spilled load of hay.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Take a look at these for replacement levers, I picked up a set off the forums and so far so good, rode in the mountains so used the brake and clutch quite a lot and the feel was very good--
YAMAHA FZ6 FAZER 04-10 brake and clutch lever - Sport bike Racing Parts-Performance Sportbike Custom Levers,Rear sets,Sport bike Accessories

Here is a much better review than I can do and mirrors my feelings about the levers--
Ride It (rideitmoto.com) Levers - Review - Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum

Jerry

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad it wasn't worse. Definitely a scary thing to have happen to anyone.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
So I was riding to work yesterday, first time in a couple weeks I've actually been able to ride the bike a decent distance. About halfway into my trip, I was stopped at a red light behind about 5 cars. When the light turned green, the 5 cars in front of me took off and so did I, but the 3rd car in the line unexpectedly slammed on their brakes. The chain reaction didn't leave me much time to brake, and when I did the front brake lever broke off of the adjuster piece (the brake master cylinder and lever are from an R6S). I ended up rear ending the car in front of me because the rear couldn't get me stopped in time and I didn't really realize that my lever had broken at that time. It was a lot going on in a tiny amount of time.

So the tank hit my boys pretty square on, the bike fell on the left side and broke off the frame slider and mirror, and the front fender is busted. Not too much damage, but the busted lever prevented me from riding it home or to work, so I ended up being 2 hours late. The lady was nice and the cop a couple cars behind me didn't write me a ticket or anything. Didn't need to exchange insurance, but I'm going to have the lady's bumper repainted. Overall, probably $250 between the two vehicles, sore balls, wrist, and pride.

The lever broke off just like this guys (an sv650, in the exact same place) Front brake lever BROKE OFF with a good SQUEEZE - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

I'm guessing someone straightened out a bent lever at some point in the past. Aluminum does not do repeat bends at all well. It cracks very easily, and sometimes takes a long time to become noticeable..... which is why ins co's don't repair aluminum frames. Scratches lead to corrosion which lead to stress fractures, and eventual failure of the part.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing someone straightened out a bent lever at some point in the past. Aluminum does not do repeat bends at all well. It cracks very easily, and sometimes takes a long time to become noticeable..... which is why ins co's don't repair aluminum frames. Scratches lead to corrosion which lead to stress fractures, and eventual failure of the part.

I don't care....I'm still getting the ASV"s!!! :rof::rof:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're ok, mate. Maybe when you're feeling a little better you could post up a couple pics of the broken lever. It would be interesting to see where it broke to make inspecting ours easier.

Oh, and frozen peas for the boys... :rolleyes:

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're ok, mate. Maybe when you're feeling a little better you could post up a couple pics of the broken lever. It would be interesting to see where it broke to make inspecting ours easier.

Oh, and frozen peas for the boys... :rolleyes:

I didn't think about picking up the lever, I was more interested in getting the bike off the road and getting to work. All thats left on the bike is a little half moon shaped piece of aluminum still stuck on the pivot.