how to tie down fz6?

astpierre

Reaction score
Visit site
Newbie here. I am picking up fz6 with a truck that has a 6.5 foot box. Wondering how to properly load and tie down the bike. Is it best to tie down bike straight with tailgate open or to jam the front wheel in the corner and load it sideways to close the tailgate? How tight do you tie the bike down? Do you leave kickstand down? Do you lock the steering? Any help here is appreciated...thanks

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
Not too sure about most of your questions but just make sure you either tie down the wheels and not the top of the bike because if you tie the top of the bike and hit a bump in the truck the bike suspension could compress loosening your straps and then you'll be left crying in the middle of the road with a smashed up FZ6

or

If you do have to tie the top of the bike compress the suspension as much as possible as you tie it down.

Good Luck

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
on the front, you can tie to the triple clamps and pull the suspension down as far as
you are able...on the rear, I use the passenger peg brackets...don't use the center stand
as this prevents you from compressing the suspension....use 4 point tie down, I use the
steering lock and put the bike in gear, do the front first..tieing to the wheels is useless

edit: and as for in the truck, put it in diagonally and try to get that tailgait up

Last edited:

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
on the front, you can tie to the triple clamps and pull the suspension down as far as
you are able...on the rear, I use the passenger peg brackets...don't use the center stand
as this prevents you from compressing the suspension....use 4 point tie down, I use the
steering lock and put the bike in gear, do the front first..tieing to the wheels is useless

Straight in with soft ties around the lower triple rachet strapped to keep it steady then passenger pegs lightly just to keep back end from sliding.

Turning the wheel can cause the bike to be unstable and you are more likely to break stuff.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Real simple. Just did this last May. Ride the bike straight into the bed. Put the front tire up against the front of the bed. Put it in gear and hit the kill switch. Let the clutch out. You can even drop the clutch and stall it in that position if you really want to be anal about it. I just didn't want to start my relationship with the FZ6 on a sour note.

Hopefully you'll have a friend along. Stay seated on the bike to keep some compression in the suspension. Have your friend secure a ratchet tie-down to each of fork, right at the lower part of the triple tree. Don't ratchet them much at all, because you're already compressing the suspension. It's better to use your weight and not ratchet much than it is to just ratchet until it seems tight enough. It's too easy to overdo it and ruin your fork seals. Trust me, I did this years ago with an old bike.

Then secure the rear via the passenger pegs mount. The rear isn't too important. The front tie downs keep the bike pressed firmly against the bed and won't allow the wheel to turn. All the rear has to do is help keep the back of the bike straight. You don't even need to tie down the rear, but I would do it just in case you have to brake hard or make an emergency maneuver while transporting it.

You'll have to leave the tailgate down, but don't worry. I drove mine 100 miles on bumpy PA highways and the interstate. It was rock solid. I didn't even stop to check on it as I had planned.

Also, talk to whomever you're getting the bike from ahead of time. Odds are, they'll know exactly what to do. See if there's an incline nearby and back the truck up to it so it's less of a climb up the ramp. Enjoy your bike, and be safe my friend!

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Real simple. Just did this last May. Ride the bike straight into the bed. Put the front tire up against the front of the bed. Put it in gear and hit the kill switch. Let the clutch out. You can even drop the clutch and stall it in that position if you really want to be anal about it. I just didn't want to start my relationship with the FZ6 on a sour note.

Hopefully you'll have a friend along. Stay seated on the bike to keep some compression in the suspension. Have your friend secure a ratchet tie-down to each of fork, right at the lower part of the triple tree. Don't ratchet them much at all, because you're already compressing the suspension. It's better to use your weight and not ratchet much than it is to just ratchet until it seems tight enough. It's too easy to overdo it and ruin your fork seals. Trust me, I did this years ago with an old bike.

Then secure the rear via the passenger pegs mount. The rear isn't too important. The front tie downs keep the bike pressed firmly against the bed and won't allow the wheel to turn. All the rear has to do is help keep the back of the bike straight. You don't even need to tie down the rear, but I would do it just in case you have to brake hard or make an emergency maneuver while transporting it.

You'll have to leave the tailgate down, but don't worry. I drove mine 100 miles on bumpy PA highways and the interstate. It was rock solid. I didn't even stop to check on it as I had planned.

Also, talk to whomever you're getting the bike from ahead of time. Odds are, they'll know exactly what to do. See if there's an incline nearby and back the truck up to it so it's less of a climb up the ramp. Enjoy your bike, and be safe my friend!

Perfect description of how I do it. But my FZ6 has never been on a truck and only on a trailer for one trip. :) going to RIDE from St Louis to south Georgia tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is how I strap mine onto a trailer, a pickup should be no different. As you won't have a front wheel stopper you can push it into the corner to stabilise it. Make sure it is completely upright or you will get the impression it is falling over.

DSC00163800x600.jpg

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
This is how I strap mine onto a trailer, a pickup should be no different. As you won't have a front wheel stopper you can push it into the corner to stabilise it. Make sure it is completely upright or you will get the impression it is falling over.

DSC00163800x600.jpg

I have always done it just like this with soft ties to the lower triple clamp and off of the passenger pegs. I don't like to use canyon dancers I have seen people with bent bars and damaged throttle tubes after to much pressure placed on them

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
I load my FZ6 into a trailer every weekend in the summer (it's my get around vehicle for when I'm set up at the track. And have it in the bed of the truck a few times a year too.

Straight in to the truck in the middle of the bed, right up to the cab.

keep the front wheel straight!
I tie it to the bottome triple clamp. I go come from the outside of the fork, around the back and hook next to the fork, watch your electrical and brake hoses. I do it this way so it is almost impossible for the hooks to come lose for what ever reason.
I compress the front down pretty good, you'll get a feeling for it.
The rear, just to the passenger peg brackets. Even on my 6 foot bed I can get my gate half way up and that's good for me!

If you're loading in to a Toyota, watch that tail gate I've heard too many times now about them buckling under a load. Usually it's a snowmobile or a 4 wheeler they are loading, but our bikes aren't too much lighter than the modern sleds.

dirtbiker1410

That Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Just follow what's already been said above, there's some good advice there. If you're worried about hitting a bump and knocking a tie down loose I've found that a bungee cord hooked into the hook holes on the tie down straps will hold it taught so it can't fall off the tie down point. When I haul my dirtbikes, and because I have an extended cab/short bed Ranger, I like to put the front wheel in the corner(prohibits side to side movement of the wheel) and then angle the rear wheel to the opposite side of the bed so I can get the tailgate up. After the tailgate is up I move the back wheel up against the gate so there's no forward/back movement. This is the best set up that I have found to be rock solid, but it may not be possible depending on the length of your bed and bike.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty much been covered here but my 2c is to lock the front wheel into the corner of the trailer. This eliminates any chance of the front wheel turning from side to side while in transit. If the wheel was to turn the bike could lean to one side creating slack in the tie down. Best way is to use all of your resources. If you have a few extra tie downs........... use em. Got 20ft of rope in the garage? Toss that in & use it as a back up. Ive had tie downs come loose before & ive also had one snap years ago.

Just make sure the bike is in gear, the stand is up, front wheel is chocked, forks are semi compressed & tie it down from the rear as well.

Good luck :thumbup:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I have always done it just like this with soft ties to the lower triple clamp and off of the passenger pegs. I don't like to use canyon dancers I have seen people with bent bars and damaged throttle tubes after to much pressure placed on them

I would also caution against using the Canyon Dancers.....they WILL bend your handlebars, even with very little fork compression when tying down.

Last edited: