How Old Are Your Spark Plugs

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
So how old are all your guys' spark plugs. I am currently just over 20,000 miles on my originals. I know Yamaha states to do them every 8,000 but that is ridiculous.

As of now my bike still runs great, I am just wondering if anyone has done any higher amount of miles than this on their originals? Let me know how many all y'all have done.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine are about 8 months old, I changed them last summer. I did it just for piece of mind, whenever I have something used I assume the worst and do all maintenance that the previous owner may not have. The bike was at about 10,000 miles at that point, it had about 2500 when I bought it. I slacked on changing the plugs because changing out that farthest one is no joke!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
According to the service book my last dealer service was at 20,911km.

I am ashamed to admit this but the bike was next serviced with more than 42,000km (by me) so that was the next time the plugs were replaced. It was running fine and the plugs looked normal.

Airhead

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
So how old are all your guys' spark plugs. I am currently just over 20,000 miles on my originals. I know Yamaha states to do them every 8,000 but that is ridiculous.

Spark plugs are cheap and easy to change, why not spend 15 bucks to make sure you have good plugs?

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
stock for now.. has about 10k on them and i will change them before spring just cuz. need to find the write up on doing them, but i cant say that i am looking forward to it

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Spark plugs are cheap and easy to change, why not spend 15 bucks to make sure you have good plugs?

I do not know where you are getting a set of 4 for $15, everywhere I have looked they are close to $40 once you pay for tax and/or shipping.

Airhead

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Andz I didn't look where you were located...but now I do agree with you that $50+ dollars for plugs is excessive. Hopefully you can find somewhere that will supply you with plugs for a good deal.

I use the stock NGK plugs. Doing a little more in depth digging you can find good deals on them. Below are some quick links to several brands and from them you can see it varies widely in price ($3-10ish) for the plugs.

Autolite
NGK
Denso
Denso @ Kragen
Ronayers
EBay

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I am nearing 19k miles on my original plugs. I have a new set but since I am still getting superb fuel economy and performance, I'll hang on to these until I need them.

We only use NGK at the dealership.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Spark plugs are another beaten to death subject, as you can find numerous threads about them; how to install, how long, which kind, etc.

Below is a link of one of the better threads, you can read on about the debate. You can see I posted up and showed the conditions of my plugs at 21,000 miles. I had no issue with them at all, I just changed them out and upgraded them to the iridium plugs, which I understand should last twice or three times longer. I'm almost at 20,000 miles on my second set, the iridiums, and I'm not planning to change them out for a long time.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/2051-change-spark-plug.html

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I sold the bike with 24,850 on the odometer..... still on the first plugs. No issues.

My only concern was that they may freeze into the head -- not with them providing spark.