How much you think a shop would charge to..?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to be rude but call a few shops and find out.

I've found that independent shops usually charge less and do better work than the dealer.

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
No offence taken. No shops are open around here this late on a Saturday. Just spent half the day doing it all myself, and wanted to see if it was worth it.

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've found that independent shops usually charge less and do better work than the dealer.

+1 on that! I have a fantastic mechanic I met in March while watching a friend at a motocross event. It was a great place to meet bike mechanics! He does a much better job than the dealer EVER did, for about 30% less. And I can stop by anytime for him to clean my chain no charge (I thank him with occasional 4-packs of RedBull).

For me, having a good mechanic I can trust helps me be a better, safer rider. I would rather pay for regular maintenance and know that while he's changing the oil, he's checking for loose screws and other potential issues. My idea of a good time is riding with friends. His idea of fun is working on motorcycles. It's a match made in heaven.

I've just got to add this photo I took on Wed when he did my 11,000mi service - 'cause pictures make everything better! Shane Larson, owner of Critical Performance Racing, Escondido, CA. :thumbup:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
oil change (parts+labor)

25 + 20 = 60

chain lube and tension

10 + 20 = 45

coolant

10 + 20 = 30

Brakes

30 + 20 = 50

this is assuming about $40/hour labor rate, ive seen up to $60/hour, so its $200. i would do it myself unless i just wasnt able to get to some tools or a garage

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks SweaterDude, that's what I was looking for.

I spend $65 in parts and it took me a couple hours going really slow.

Guess it was time well spent. I'll keep doing it myself then.

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, sorry I got a little chatty. :spank: I'm envious of all of you who can be so self sufficient! :thumbup:

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
I'm in Southern Maryland too. If you go down to Clinton cycles or over to GRD, the labor alone is going to cost you about 70-75 bucks per hour. You probably would not get out of there for under 150-200 bucks (maybe a bit less).

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in Southern Maryland too. If you go down to Clinton cycles or over to GRD, the labor alone is going to cost you about 70-75 bucks per hour. You probably would not get out of there for under 150-200 bucks (maybe a bit less).

You're lucky, up north Pete's charges $100 an hour. They charge $75 (IIRC) to swap a tire on the bike, or $50 carry in, and $100 to replace a chain... that's just labor. :eek:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess for those who don't have a work area/time/desire to DIY have to entrust a high paid mechanic and that still doesn't necessarily mean satisfaction. Hope you find a good shop/mechanic. Be careful with the chain adjustment, a little too tight and you prematurely wear out sprockets, chain, and experience excessive chatter/noise.

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's a real fair question to ask. The apartments I live in are so picky you aren't allowed to wash your vehicle there. Another rider, that lives on the other side of the compound, got caught degreasing and relubing his chain. The managers sent him a $50 fine for violating the terms of his lease in regards to parking lot use. Though there are many things I could do myself, after taking into account of waiting until a Sunday that the office is closed and the potential for a $50 fine (or worse), it doesn't hurt to know a good mechanic.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Another rider, that lives on the other side of the compound, got caught degreasing and relubing his chain. The managers sent him a $50 fine for violating the terms of his lease in regards to parking lot use.
Understand. Gawd, I suppose rent prices, etc., are a consideration but I just loath the 100% nanny state mentality. OMG, maybe checking oil level or tire pressure would be okay?
Can't even wash vehicle..... Geesh, I guess changing wiper blades would be OUT OF THE QUESTION! Uggh!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're lucky, up north Pete's charges $100 an hour. They charge $75 (IIRC) to swap a tire on the bike, or $50 carry in, and $100 to replace a chain... that's just labor. :eek:

My local private shop charges $12-15 to install a new tire (carry in) AND static balance,

$50.00!
, I'd find another shop...

Most any large shop is going to charge $70+ an hour easy.. A private shop, usually less. A private guy, working out of his garage, usually even less...

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
My local private shop charges $12-15 to install a new tire (carry in) AND static balance,

$50.00!
, I'd find another shop...

Most any large shop is going to charge $70+ an hour easy.. A private shop, usually less. A private guy, working out of his garage, usually even less...

I did... the one I work in. :p I've got my own tire machine. And my own tools, plus a couple specialty tools. :D

I'm an auto mechanic, and their prices blow even my mind. Even though MD is expensive, $100 an hour is pretty obscene, even for a dealer of some kind. Hell, the luxury car dealerships around me (yuppieville area) are only ~$120 an hour. I wish I could charge $75 to install 4 tires, let alone one. :rolleyes: Hell, even the cheaper/better/nicer other shop I use wanted close to $100 to install a chain. I took one look at that, and ordered a chain breaker. :Flip:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did... the one I work in. :p I've got my own tire machine. And my own tools, plus a couple specialty tools. :D

I'm an auto mechanic, and their prices blow even my mind. Even though MD is expensive, $100 an hour is pretty obscene, even for a dealer of some kind. Hell, the luxury car dealerships around me (yuppieville area) are only ~$120 an hour. I wish I could charge $75 to install 4 tires, let alone one. :rolleyes: Hell, even the cheaper/better/nicer other shop I use wanted close to $100 to install a chain. I took one look at that, and ordered a chain breaker. :Flip:

Yep, most of the time its cheaper in the end to just buy the tools and IF your comfy doing it, do it yourself. And you know its done right. Of course you need a place to work..

IE, my Carbtune sync tool cost me about $80.00 US. Before that I paid a stealership about $125.00 to sync my FJR.

After I got the tool, (specifically for the FZ buzz), I checked the FJR. They screwed that up by adjusting a butterfly adjuster(screw with spring, a NO NO to adjust). I could see it was turned as the white paint stripe from the factory was turned. I put it back to its original position and re-synced using the air screws (like the FZ).

I've sync'ed many other bikes and usually charge $25.00 a bike. The owner (did one yesterday on an 06 FZ) gets to watch (or help if they want). They can see the BEFORE and AFTER results. Those sync's paid for itself many times over already..

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Once you learn your way around the bike and get more accustomed to wrenching those jobs you described should only take about 1.5 hours in your garage with standard tools. :thumbup:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm an auto mechanic, and their prices blow even my mind. Even though MD is expensive, $100 an hour is pretty obscene, even for a dealer of some kind. :Flip:

You don't understand.;) These $100 an hour motorcycle mechanic people may have HUGE boat payments. And then, you tack on fuel for a 30 foot boat. Do you know how much fuel a 30 foot boat will use in just one hour? Probably over 12 gallons per hour. Also, there's probably a berthing charge---that can probably range over $400 per month. Add, a huge insurance bill, and all kinds of maintenance, and, of course, a HUGE liquor and beer expense. ;)