How many of you look for 7th gear?

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
On a side note, does anyone know if Yamaha sells gear kits for the R6? They used to for the FZR400s and 600s. They were aimed at the racer who wanted to set up specific gearing for a given track. I'd love to have a 6th that is 5 to 7% taller.
I wasn't sure whether to make a new thread or bring this one back to life! I decided it was better this way as all the obvious statements about peoples' habits have already been voiced! :D

I was wondering it it's possible to just change the cog on the 6th gear to make it into a REAL economy gear so I can cruise along at 70mph at 4000 rpm instead of 70rpm! I don't mind having to shift down a gear to accelerate away but I ride on the motorway every day to work and I'd like a smoother and quieter ride!

Are there any options for this? I don't want to change the sprocket as I'm perfectly happy with the acceleration on the first 5 gears. It's just the 6th gear I want to change...

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I wasn't sure whether to make a new thread or bring this one back to life! I decided it was better this way as all the obvious statements about peoples' habits have already been voiced! :D

I was wondering it it's possible to just change the cog on the 6th gear to make it into a REAL economy gear so I can cruise along at 70mph at 4000 rpm instead of 70rpm! I don't mind having to shift down a gear to accelerate away but I ride on the motorway every day to work and I'd like a smoother and quieter ride!

Are there any options for this? I don't want to change the sprocket as I'm perfectly happy with the acceleration on the first 5 gears. It's just the 6th gear I want to change...

Since our bike only charges above 5000RPM, - cruising at 4000RPM might very well end up killing your battery ...,- but if you only lowered it to 5500RPM instead, - the charging would not become an issue.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Since our bike only charges above 5000RPM, - cruising at 4000RPM might very well end up killing your battery ...,- but if you only lowered it to 5500RPM instead, - the charging would not become an issue.
Okay then. Can it be done to lower it to 5500rpm? :D

Relayer1974

Bubba Zanetti
Reaction score
Visit site
I do it a lot, especially when I'm keeping the RPM low or, like others have said, getting to about 60 on the highway. I definitely don't wish I had any more gears, I just hear the engine hit that range where I usually shift and to it automatically.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, done it and still do now and then. Pisses my toes off: "Hey idiot, you're out of gears and you're crushing me."

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Its a stupid feeling when you grab the clutch and then can't shift...all you can do is let it out again and look like "I meant to do that" :rolleyes:

I'm geting better and knowing from the rpm and speed what gear I have. If I'm doing 120 kph (75 mph) and its at 7000 rpm or so, I'm out of gears.

I have inadvertantly found 7th gear...neutral! That makes you feel pretty retarted as well.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha really should have put it in a taller sixth gear for more comfortable cruising, either way you need to downshift if you want to accelerate at highway speeds

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, looked for 7th a few times. Me and the tach are tracking better these days.

If you buy the FJR (for a mere $13.5 K) your display will have a handy gear indicator in the lower left side. Not to mention 1300 cc.

The only reason I know is that a Company Commander on the Big Island has an FJR which his wife bought for him. His very FIRST bike. What a GREAT woman.:Flash:

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, looked for 7th a few times. Me and the tach are tracking better these days.

If you buy the FJR (for a mere $13.5 K) your display will have a handy gear indicator in the lower left side. Not to mention 1300 cc.

The only reason I know is that a Company Commander on the Big Island has an FJR which his wife bought for him. His very FIRST bike. What a GREAT woman.:Flash:

For his first bike? Sounds more like she wants to get rid of him...:eek:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
not really looking for a 7th.. more like looking for a 6th since the current one is arguably useless
That's my point! :thumbup: I want to know if it's possible to replace the 6th gear cog with one with more (I think) teeth to make it more effective for cruising!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you pull a lever hidden beneath the headlight, it unlocks 7th, 8th, and 9th gear. The FZ6 can actually do 350 kph with these unlocked. When I forget to unlock them:

YES, I have tried to upshift to 7th only to discover there are only 6 gears activated on the bike.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I always look and will continue to do so! There is a legend of a rider in Ohio that actually found it once and it was AWESOME! LOL

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk