Hit a deer while using my phone...

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not on my bike, not that crazy. I was coming home from a fishing trip in my truck and my cell phone beeped at me, with out thinking, I picked up the phone and looked at it to see who it was. As I looked down, a big mule deer doe ran out in the road in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and as here was no one in the other lane, swerved over, but could not avoid the collision. I built a large heavy front bumper for this very reason and so there was no damage to my truck but the deer sadly did not survive.
Using cell phones while driving is very dangerous and I know better, but I thought that nothing would happen. My family was in my truck and we could have all been injured. This has had a very serious impact on me and realize cell phones in vehicles are very stupid. I wish it was illegal everywhere to use them.
Please use your head everyone and pull over when it rings or turn off the dam thing when you get in your car.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Everybody around here, it seems, is on a cell phone while driving. It's illegal but what are the chances of being caught in the act by a cop? It's frustrating to be behind somebody driving/talking on cell phone. Many times, it's obvious the driver is pre-occupied with the conversation. I hate it when I get held up or delayed because said driver is not driving assertively. BTW, what time of the day was it, psnbye, when the deer incident happened? Was it dusk or dawn?

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, what time of the day was it, psnbye, when the deer incident happened? Was it dusk or dawn?

It was about 5 pm, still quite light, but getting on towards dusk, I guess. I am trying to make a difference by not texting at all anymore while driving and only talking if I have to. I hope I can keep it up.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dusk......at that time of day, I look like a bobble head scanning the sides constantly for them. Glad you & your family came out of that somewhat ok.....still a bit sad for the deer though. I definely have a love/ hate thing for them.

PS. Montana is beautiful!