Highway Road Construction Riding Tips

pulverizer

Reaction score
Visit site
So, on my way home from work, there is an on-ramp to a highway that is currently in process of being re-paved. The on ramp is about 4-5 inches below the new level of the freshly re-paved highway surface, with an abrupt transition between the two. This is the first time I have encountered this change in road surface where I had to go up over the gap instead of down to the lower surface.

Does anyone have any tips for being able to get to the higher level at near highway speeds without losing it? I would imagine the best bet is to just let the bike do the work and everything will be ok. But, as I have not had a gap that big to climb in my riding experience, I thought I would ask. With it still being summer and the time for road construction, I am sure others will eventually be in the same situation.

Also feel free to add any other tips you may have for riding in highway road construction areas.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Dont know if this is the best advice or not but I have also encountered this same thing and I normally let the bike do most of the work and the only thing I do different is try to change lanes at more of a angle or a little more swiftly then normally, not saying treat it like your swearving to avoid a accident but just more then you normally do

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
As counter-intuitive as it may seem in the heat of the moment don't brake while going over it. in fact if you can accelerate just before going over the bump you will unload the front suspension and make for a smoother safer ride over the bump.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
When I transition between areas that are being paved and normal road surfaces, I make the switch quickly. In other words if I am in my lane and I can see that the left portion of the lane will be clear up the road, I'll switch rather abruptly over the bump, into the left side. That way you spend as little time with your tires uneven as possible.

If you are hitting something that large head on, I would stand up and let the bike absorb the bump and then let your legs and hips absord the bike.

pulverizer

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips, I will give it a go this afternoon.
They really did not make this with consideration to motorcycles, it looks something like this (the low side is the on ramp on the right):

| : |.\
| : |..\
| : |...\
| : |....\
| : |.....\
| : |......\
| : |.......\
| : |........\
.....^
........This line is the 4-5 in rise in road surface, so you come in at an angle, as the merging lane ends.

Last edited:

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I would just get over as quickly as possible. Make sure your clear of oncoming traffic, look where you want to go and shove the bike over quickly.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I transition between areas that are being paved and normal road surfaces, I make the switch quickly. In other words if I am in my lane and I can see that the left portion of the lane will be clear up the road, I'll switch rather abruptly over the bump, into the left side. That way you spend as little time with your tires uneven as possible.

If you are hitting something that large head on, I would stand up and let the bike absorb the bump and then let your legs and hips absord the bike.

Excellent answer!
Exact instinct I would have. Steady throttle and speed, take the weight off your butt and now onto the balls of your feet and your allowing the bike to absorb the hump and you absorb the bike. When your on the balls of your feet no sudden throttle or braking.

Construction and road conditions are too often ignoring motorcyclists.

pulverizer

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it turns out they finally got to paving the on-ramp before I rode home, so I did not get to try it out. I am sure there will be another time to try this

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This should be said about any bumps, cracks, RR tracks, obstacles or highway gaps. You want to try to approach them at a 90 degree angle or perpindicular. Of course this is not entirely possible all the time, so if you can do 45 degrees, it should do the trick. Just favor to the furthest portion of your lane that is away from the gap and then approach it the best you can riding head on towards.

I always have said the most challenging areas will be areas of highway constructions in which multiple lanes are involved. Just because it requires you to ride on the old portion of the roadway for a period of time and eventually they will require for you to move over to the newly paved portion, where the gap will be a 1-2 inch differance in height. I think 4" was a bit of an exaggeration.

Riding a motorcycle, requires you to constantly pay attention for traffic, pedestrians and animals, but the surface composition as well. Is it asphault or concrete, is it smooth or grooved, wet or dry, etc. And yes, are there gaps?

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Mmm we've had a lot of this over the last few years around our city, on pretty much all the highways.

There's obviously 3 different ways they can create a curb for us:

1. running the length of the road at at edge of the lane
2. Square across the lane
3. Angle across the lane

1. Those that run along the edge of the lane are the most dangerous imho, not as much for bikes, but they tend to throw cars badly, so you have to watch for that.
2. Square is just a big BUMP, stand up on footpegs and ride it out.
3. These are fun, you can practice by riding up and down them, speed constant and you ride up the side. Why i say this is because if you've practiced them, when they hit you unexpectedly, you do just ride them out, whether you make the crest or fall off.

Nearly came short the other day when i got one that was a lot worse than it looked, but again, just keep calm and let the bike ride it.

pulverizer

Reaction score
Visit site
This should be said about any bumps, cracks, RR tracks, obstacles or highway gaps. You want to try to approach them at a 90 degree angle or perpindicular. Of course this is not entirely possible all the time, so if you can do 45 degrees, it should do the trick. Just favor to the furthest portion of your lane that is away from the gap and then approach it the best you can riding head on towards.

I always have said the most challenging areas will be areas of highway constructions in which multiple lanes are involved. Just because it requires you to ride on the old portion of the roadway for a period of time and eventually they will require for you to move over to the newly paved portion, where the gap will be a 1-2 inch differance in height. I think 4" was a bit of an exaggeration.

Riding a motorcycle, requires you to constantly pay attention for traffic, pedestrians and animals, but the surface composition as well. Is it asphault or concrete, is it smooth or grooved, wet or dry, etc. And yes, are there gaps?

Highway construction in the DC area is not the most high quality! The step up was definitely about 4 inches, maybe not 5, but I think 4 is a good guess.

With all the construction, I have gotten a lot better at riding on grooved surfaces. It is a bit strange at first, with the bike feeling like it is going to take off in another direction, but once you relax and let the bike just go forward, it is easy. Another tip for grooved surfaces - plan farther ahead for braking as and harder braking pushes the front into the grooves and makes the bike a bit more unstable feeling.

Also, another good tip, the morning after they have taken the top surface off the highway and left the grooved surface - make sure you keep extra distance behind any other vehicles, since there is a lot of loose pavement and debris that gets lifted up and will hurt if if inevitably hits you in the one small uncovered part of your neck.:eek: