highway pegs

someone08

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a used fz6 and havent really ridden it much but i have found that it would be really nice to have a set of highway pegs for the really long trips. i was wondering if anyone has done or even thought of it for that matter. i know they will have to be a decent distance from the motor for heat reason, but w/e what do you guys think.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure how you'd mount highway pegs to an FZ6. One way would be to put the SW-Motech engine guards on the bike and mount them to that. I've seen it done before, but not many owners have tried it. It's an interesting idea, though. Just not sure how it would work with the looks of the bike.

TwistedThrottle.com

S

sportrider

I think on a long ride your better off with the pegs below or behind you, highway pegs tend to make you put to much weight on your tail bone from my personal experience with them. I wouldn't do it on the FZ6. I had a H-D sportster and the worst thing I ever did to it was remove the mid controls and add forward controls. for short jaunts it was fine but anything over 100 miles I was ready to get off and walk for a while. I've ridden the FZ6 180 + or - a few and when I stopped for gas I didn't even get off the saddle.

someone08

Reaction score
Visit site
i know these things wont look very good but if they were attached to the motor mounts they would be readily accessable so they could be removed

i never would have thought of my tail bone hurting if the conrols were more forward, but my dad has a honda shadow spirit and they have more forward controls and i have ridden that for about 70 miles at a time and i havent really had this problem but i would believe that the seat would have more to do with this then the control position. thats what i would think.

thanks for the feed back.

S

sportrider

with your feet in front of you, your legs can't act as part of your suspension the way they do now. I realize that the seating position is different then a cruiser, but just something to think about. I guess if you try it after you've logged a few miles let us know how it works.:thumbup:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I know of a couple of FZ6ers who have custom mounted highway pegs on their bikes. It can and has been done. Found this pic on SBN. These ones can fold up out of the way when not in use:

fz6%2520highway%2520peg.jpg

Last edited:

someone08

Reaction score
Visit site
i see that the peg is on the left but does anyone kno a good way to attach one to the right

i was just going to ride with on the pegs for long, strait roads, for turns i would be using the normal pegs in regards to legs acting as part of the suspension.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I just throw my legs up on the frame sliders every now and then

+1 This definitely helps. I also sometimes move my butt back onto the pillion seat and ride like that for a bit, stretches you out a little and airs out the nether regions a tad bit :thumbup:

BigRatt

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad someone ressurected this thread. I've been shopping for a cruiser for longer distances because my legs and hips get angry with me after about 100 miles or so on the fz. I no sooner mentioned to my girlfriend that I should just put highway pegs on the fz than I ran across this. I would have never bothered to search the site for such an offbeat idea!

yamahog

Reaction score
Visit site
im looking for a similar set up, i just got back form a 1000 mi + ride over a couple days and my knees and ass were killing me. I know a lot is the crappy stock seat, but I cant afford a saddlery right now, but the highway pegs would have helped alot. its nice to be able to move around a bit. You would use the stock ones in any technical situation anyway, so controls not an issue, and they fold up just like any other peg on your bike, so they wont be a dragging issue. Just comfort for long trips.

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
I've considered doing this myself. The frame sliders work for a jaunt, but get uncomfortable faster than stock position due to my legs being so long. They make highway pegs, and I don't see why you can't mount them either on those engine guards posted earlier or somewhere else.
Another idea is taking some aluminum or steel pipe (tube or square) and mount it to one of the spots where that engine guard would go and put the peg on the end of said pipe. That way you can determine the specific distance and angle you want the pegs at. Might not be pretty though, but I've always been function over form.

VUU

VW gearhead
Reaction score
Visit site
If you do install them, please report back on how they feel for long distances. Having ridden my father's dyna I learned really quick to hate the highway pegs, they really do alter how your weight is distributed on the seat alot.
That said, even with the crappy saddle on the fz I think the upper body positioning is easily 1000x better on this bike, no numb butt and legs after 120 miles on the freeway, just sore knees which the highway pegs would help with and I get the impression that with the upper body stance you wouldn't sit right on the tailbone like you do on an HD equipped with them.

Timbostang

Reaction score
Visit site
I have thought about making some form of highway pegs myself. The only reason to put them on would be to give you a place to stretch your legs for a minute without having to get off the bike. I commute 2 hours every day and I usually end up standing up on the pegs for 15-20 seconds to stretch my legs.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen people just let their legs hang while they ride. I've done it too on long trips but only one at a time. It depends on how tall you are and if you could get away with it. I know one girl who rides a Kaw. 650 and does it all the time, but she is short and can get away with it.

VUU

VW gearhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I've taken to sanding on the pegs holding the bars, or stretching them out in front of me to stretch the knees out

killertofu9

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure how you'd mount highway pegs to an FZ6. One way would be to put the SW-Motech engine guards on the bike and mount them to that. I've seen it done before, but not many owners have tried it. It's an interesting idea, though. Just not sure how it would work with the looks of the bike.

TwistedThrottle.com

Is it me or would you need to remove the crash bar whenever you need to change the oil filter. Sry off topic.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
if its form over function you want, get a few stainless zipties, a piece of rebar 3 or so feet long and ziptie it to the headers where they bend. to quote a fellow forum member (can't remember whom) Boom! Problem solved:BLAA:

:ban::tard::scared: