High temperature after spark plug change..anyone?

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
my 2007 FZ6 was just recently changed the sparkplug NGK CRxx94 (the one recommended used by mostly FZ6 owner).

I suddenly noticed the temperature higher than normal, idle 168 but when/while riding on freeway it gets up & down around 186-198 (occassionally it goes down 186 but eventually 186-192-198 up and down around those numbers).. And If I ride/stop in local it immediately goes up around 202-212 and 217 then the fan kicks in and temp drops down to 198-202 while stop/go in local traffic with fan auto-on/off..

Is this normal to be at this temperature range/behavior like the above? during the time I replaced the sparkplugs, I had just to lower the radiator without disconnecting any hose by opening top and bottom screws of the radiator and put them back in..

I checked the coolant is still top radiator, the reserved tank still at the limit level..etc

anyone's idea will be greatly appreciated!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been having High Temp problems for almost a year. I've tried some trouble shooting and never thought that plugs would have an effect on engine temps. I did get my plugs swapped out this year, and it seems about the right time when I noticed that my bike began to run hot when at idle. Once I ride, it cools down but if I go up a very long steep grade, it runs hot again.

So yes, but can't confirm it's the problem unless I swap out the plugs again.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In both of the above cases ^^ it seems pretty normal and perhaps you're both paying MORE attention.

My 08 - it does all those same things. That is; at speeds under 35 MPH, the temps will climb regardless of the outdoor temp (unless under 60F), beyond that, if you move slow the temps climb and if you move fast they drop!

The t-stat kicks on at 165 (low IMO), and the fan kicks on at 210F 'ish. Don't lug it, rev it, and the oil and water circulate better which helps keep it cool!

If it has actual "drive-ability complaints" now you need to look at plugs, gap, fuel quality, etc....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
my 2007 FZ6 was just recently changed the sparkplug NGK CRxx94 (the one recommended used by mostly FZ6 owner).

I suddenly noticed the temperature higher than normal, idle 168 but when/while riding on freeway it gets up & down around 186-198 (occassionally it goes down 186 but eventually 186-192-198 up and down around those numbers).. And If I ride/stop in local it immediately goes up around 202-212 and 217 then the fan kicks in and temp drops down to 198-202 while stop/go in local traffic with fan auto-on/off..

Is this normal to be at this temperature range/behavior like the above? during the time I replaced the sparkplugs, I had just to lower the radiator without disconnecting any hose by opening top and bottom screws of the radiator and put them back in..

I checked the coolant is still top radiator, the reserved tank still at the limit level..etc

anyone's idea will be greatly appreciated!

Just curious, did you measure or adjust the plug gap?

Spark plugs, as they wear, the gap widens. I tend to gap them on the tigher end of spec's so as they wear, their inside spec's much longer..

Likely not your problem but something to check/consider.

I agree, depending on your RPM's, actual speed, ambient temps, those #'s are not unusual..

Last edited:

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all ...no I didn't measure or adjust the plug gap at all ,,,just replaced and put the news back as the way the old ones were there.

Yes about the fan auto-kick in as I remember it's probably around 210 (not 217)! and it's about due to change the oil...maybe I have time to do it today after the brake clean-up service :)

Thx you all! maybe changing oil will drive the temp down :) I will let you know!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all ...no I didn't measure or adjust the plug gap at all ,,,just replaced and put the news back as the way the old ones were there.

Yes about the fan auto-kick in as I remember it's probably around 210 (not 217)! and it's about due to change the oil...maybe I have time to do it today after the brake clean-up service :)

Thx you all! maybe changing oil will drive the temp down :) I will let you know!

If your area, S Ca is anything like SW Florida, I would stick with a 10w 40 weight oil

I'd recheck and adjust those plugs too. If their stock plugs, a wire gauge should be used..

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dealership swapped out my plugs and I confirmed with them if they measure the gaps before install and they said yes.

I even have wetter better mixed with my coolant. I know my bike, and having my temp maxed out at every light, even in the winter is not normal but I have just lived with it the past nine months. Could be a faulty thermostat.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
But just because its says it hot, doesn't mean its actually hot. The sensor may not be reporting accurately.

Hints the engine is hot and/or over heating:
- ping, detonation on low RPM take off
- pushing fluid into the coolant reservoir
- put your hand on it. How hot is it?
- shoot a laser temp gauge at the blocks cooling jacket, DOES IT REFLECT the gauge reading?

- Should it ACTUALLY OVER HEAT, if the block is full of coolant a 16lb cap isn't going to keep the fluid in if its not Mixed ~50/50 w/glycol.

Read below about with/without 50/50 mix.
Its going to purge the block and fill the reservoir. If at cold start the reservoir was at MAX HOT, it will pour out on the ground if it boils over. Lets look closer:

- A 14.7 PSI cap boils over at 212ºF H2O
- A 16 PSI cap boils over at 216ºF H20

I don't recall the exact ## but roughly speaking 50/50 mix raises the boiling point ~3.0ºF per PSI. So 16 PSI X 3 =~ 48ºF + 216 = ~ 264ºF

What is your elevation there? This changes the BP too. As you go up in alt it decreases the BP as there is less atmospheric pressure.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dealership swapped out my plugs and I confirmed with them if they measure the gaps before install and they said yes.

I even have wetter better mixed with my coolant. I know my bike, and having my temp maxed out at every light, even in the winter is not normal but I have just lived with it the past nine months. Could be a faulty thermostat.

Should it be the thermostat, another member changed his without pulling the throttle bodies, etc as recommmended in the manual. It was tight but do-able.

The shop can measure the temp switch and see if its with spec's and if so, then move on to the thermostat/rad cap, etc...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Should it be the thermostat, another member changed his without pulling the throttle bodies, etc as recommmended in the manual. It was tight but do-able.

The shop can measure the temp switch and see if its with spec's and if so, then move on to the thermostat/rad cap, etc...

With a laser temp gun, shoot the jacket when cold, shoot the jacket when hot. Then use the table in the FSM to see if it meets speck.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Yes!

Somewhere I plotted a graph in Excel and took a screen shot to grab all the numbers in the middle but here are the specs....

Coolant temperature sensor
5.21–6.37 kΩ at 0°C (32°F)
0.29–0.35 kΩ at 80°C (176°F)