HID Projectors H7 kit in both sides :)

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys!

Pardon my beginner ignorance, but does it really matter if you fit both lights with H7s? I understand you need to adjust the housing of the H4 side, but other than that, does it make a difference? You still use low or high beams on both sides, just that it happens at the same time, right?

Thanks for your patience and advice!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Hey guys!

Pardon my beginner ignorance, but does it really matter if you fit both lights with H7s? I understand you need to adjust the housing of the H4 side, but other than that, does it make a difference? You still use low or high beams on both sides, just that it happens at the same time, right?

No it doesn't matter. Up untill Riobard here did the mod this way with 2 H7's, no one had done it that way as they used 1 H4 & 1 H7. It's just a "physical" size difference for mounting that's all. With these kits, the actual HID 'bulbs' that go into each projector are exactly the same...it's the fittings coming out of the backs of the projectors that are different and match either an H4 hole or an H7 hole.

You can see the difference in size here:

3479200953_a9ba60231c.jpg

Correct, both lights are on - 2 Low or 2 High.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys!

nope, no matter one way or another, this just makes it so you don't have to buy 2 kits, split them, then sell the remaining 2 halves to someone else to break even.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Great thread!

Wow, what a great thread. Someday after I get a job again, I really want to do a HID conversion, and this seems to be one of the easiest ways that I've seen.

Plus, I think that I might actually like the look of the projects in there with the reflectors left shiny silver. Interesting, as I didn't used to like that look.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so it is all tied together and out of the basement, took it to work yesterday and all seems good with the bike. I went out early this morning and took a couple videos of the lights.

First video shows the light output in my front yard:

Second is the light cutoff when aimed at my house, the bike is about 15 feet away from the house:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
what about the signaling button? how does that respond? is it still a quick burst????

edit rofl typo: signalinging

not sure what you mean, if you mean what sirisaac referenced, then i assume it would work properly, but my bike does not have that button.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks very much for posting this. It answers a lot of my questions about the reflector and the general output. If this is what the projectors produce, the bulbs by themselves must be pretty ferocious for oncoming drivers. :) What Kelvin are these? 6000?

I wonder how much you could 'spread' the pattern.... in the video of your light pattern on the garage, you could easily see where the two main beams were striking the wall; and it was a good strong light. The 'lobes' were also quite bright, and there was obviously a lot of overlap between the two... If you were to steer the left beam more to the left, and the right more to the right, it should be possible to increase the edge lighting even more, without dimming your forward area significantly.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
if the high beam is installed with HID, the pass switch wont be able to work.. am i right? for those who have the pass switch.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Ahh the good ol "Pass" button!! My friend's Triumph 675 has one and it makes me chuckle as NO ONE in N. America knows WTF someone flashing lights behind them means!!!

..."oh, look, there's a guy riding my bumper flashing his lights...that must mean I should slow down more...."

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh the good ol "Pass" button!! My friend's Triumph 675 has one and it makes me chuckle as NO ONE in N. America knows WTF someone flashing lights behind them means!!!

..."oh, look, there's a guy riding my bumper flashing his lights...that must mean I should slow down more...."

I absolutely agree, most drivers in N. America are totally oblivious to anything going on around them, whether it's cars, bikes, or anything else. Lanes don't mean anything, much less the concept of "I drive 50mph in a 65mph zone, maybe I should move out of the fast lane, and into the slow lane, so the folks behind me can pass me and go on their merry way".

And, since lanes don't matter, traffic around you doesn't matter, let us all drive like we stopped in a parking lot...

Sorry, guess the morning commute was a bit frustrating :spank:

blu04

Reaction score
Visit site
This looks like a good alternative to having to buy two kits. Looking at the videos Rob posted they have low and high beams and seem to be quite bright as well. Would love to do the HID mod in the near future, I think they look good on the bikes.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
completley irrelivent to the direction this thread is heading but the side shot made me think of this..its late and ive had a lot of caffine :rolleyes:

alien1.jpg

IMG_6878.jpg

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Aren't the H7s only low beam? The H4s both hi and lo? I'm confussed.:confused:

nope, these kits are hi and low no matter what size bulb hole they are designed to fit into. That is the only difference with these for the H4 or H7 is just the size of the hole in the headlight housing.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Reiobard & anyone else who has done the HID mod,

Are these primarily an aesthetic mod or are they more functional and effective than the stock headlights? I really like the way they look, but I also want some added functionality and am looking for the best headlight mod for that purpose.

I was riding with a few friends over the weekend, and we got caught out past dark one night. That was the first time I'd ridden at night, and I was surprised at how difficult it was. The stock headlights don't give much distance at all and it's hard driving on the highway when you can't see too far in front of you. My friends were driving supersports and my headlights were much better than theirs, but still left a lot to be desired. I guess I'm used to my car's headlights, but anything that would help night time driving would be much appreciated.