HID Projectors H7 kit in both sides :)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so... I am a cheap kinda guy, so when i decided to go the projector HID route, I did not want to buy 2 separate kits and split them. So I just ordered the H7 Bi-Xenon HID kit and figured that i would live with the low side only for now if i couldn;t figure something out.

Well I have not finished the wiring yet (I am fairly anal about wiring) but here is my start to how I did the physical installation of the Projectors.

Headlight Assembly removed from the bike:
IMG_6854.jpg

Toss it in the oven at 170 degrees (lowest setting my oven has) for 10-15 minutes:
IMG_6857.jpg

Pull the headlight apart to separate the lenses from the housing:
IMG_6862.jpg

Putting the H7 side in was pretty straight forward (remove bulb, slide it in and tighten it down, then replace the bulb):
IMG_6864.jpg

then came the thought about how to get the small H7 light to sit tightly in the big hole of the H4. So i dissected 2 x H4 bulbs like so:
IMG_6867.jpg

I then was able to place one on the inside and use it as a washer to stop the projector from going too far into the hole:
IMG_6869.jpg

Same thing on the back side:
IMG_6870.jpg

Then just tighten it down and make sure that you physically keep it aligned (since this will not stop the projector from twisting while tightening):
IMG_6872.jpg

Put the covers back on the housing, Put the housing back on the bike and commence wiring:
IMG_6876.jpg

as soon as the wiring is done i will post pics of the aiming and obviously the light output of these:) But so far they look good and they are both in the housing very securely, and i only had to order 1 kit and sacrifice 2 x H4 bulbs.

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice work.

Is it not illegal NOT to have high beam in your state/country? Or you just don't care.

Nice work again. Any chance of a pic from side on? I haven't yet seen how deep these projectors are. Only ever see pics from the front.

Cheers

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Nice work.

Is it not illegal NOT to have high beam in your state/country? Or you just don't care.

Nice work again. Any chance of a pic from side on? I haven't yet seen how deep these projectors are. Only ever see pics from the front.

Cheers

these are the same bi-xenon (high and low beam) projectors several people (myself included) have installed.

Looks good. Nice idea!

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
these are the same bi-xenon (high and low beam) projectors several people (myself included) have installed.

Looks good. Nice idea!

I figured that, but no one else has posted photo from the side - cause they look so hot from the front:thumbup:

So while the camera's out

Reiobard - Is the picture indicating it was only a One Beer job?:D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I figured that, but no one else has posted photo from the side - cause they look so hot from the front:thumbup:

So while the camera's out

Reiobard - Is the picture indicating it was only a One Beer job?:D

No, it was a multi beer job, but that is the only one that was near the headlight when i was taking pictures, all in all the physical mounting took me about 2 hours.

I did not paint them just in case i want to take them out at any point (Doubtful). Once i KNOW i am in love with them then i will probably take them out and paint the reflectors.

These are bi-xenon kits, so they create a hi-lo beam with magnets that actually change the angle of the bulb. The only difference in these kits is the size of the mounting hole, the actual projector and bulb within is the same, no matter what kit you order (hence my idea to make the H& size work in both sides).

This is the kit that i ordered:
PnP HID Bi-Xenon Projector Kit, 9006 9005 9007 H4 H7 H1 : eBay Motors (item 170426866083 end time Feb-25-10 05:32:41 PST)

And here are the Pics from the sides to get an idea of the size of the projectors (as requested):

IMG_6878.jpg

IMG_6881.jpg

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW, I just read that the response to Noble Pils has been so good that Sam Adams is making it a year-rounder instead of a seasonal. Which means I should probably try it (usually don't get SA, kinda bored with them). Oh and awesome work with the headlights.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
These are bi-xenon kits, so they create a hi-lo beam with magnets that actually change the angle of the bulb. The only difference in these kits is the size of the mounting hole, the actual projector and bulb within is the same, no matter what kit you order (hence my idea to make the H& size work in both sides).

Actually, these bi-xenon kits do not use a moving bulb. Projector bixenon HID's use a shutter or hood that partially blocks the light (creating the distinct "cut-off" common to projectors) which iis electromagnetically controlled to flip up and out of the way when you switch to high beams.

You can see the hood if you look through the front of the projector. Kinda cool.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Nice work and pics!! Ballzy move on making the H7 work on the other side!! :thumbup: This will be VERY benifical for those sellers that don't sell combo kits.

Now before you mount it back up on the bike, don't forget to run around with it on your head!! :D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, these bi-xenon kits do not use a moving bulb. Projector bixenon HID's use a shutter or hood that partially blocks the light (creating the distinct "cut-off" common to projectors) which iis electromagnetically controlled to flip up and out of the way when you switch to high beams.

You can see the hood if you look through the front of the projector. Kinda cool.

Very cool, all the bi-xenon kits i have had experience with used a moving bulb, the hood thing is new to me, i will have to check it out when they are finished!

Nice work and pics!! Ballzy move on making the H7 work on the other side!! :thumbup: This will be VERY benifical for those sellers that don't sell combo kits.

Now before you mount it back up on the bike, don't forget to run around with it on your head!! :D

That is truly a compliment coming from the mod-master himself :)

and i forgot to run around and it is already attached to the bike, so i think we missed out on this one :BLAA:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Great work there reiobard,

Now I have a few questions....because this seems to be the neatest way to get this mod with projectors done...

When you sacraficed the two H4 bulbs and put the "new" pieces into the projector housing, did you glue them in place or simply put the projector bulb unit through them and tightened the projector from the back?

Is there an indication on the projector bulb unit telling you that its in the right orientation or do you have to fiddle around with this once you have them lit up?

Is the product you bought sturdy? How big are the ballasts?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great work there reiobard,

Now I have a few questions....because this seems to be the neatest way to get this mod with projectors done...

When you sacraficed the two H4 bulbs and put the "new" pieces into the projector housing, did you glue them in place or simply put the projector bulb unit through them and tightened the projector from the back?

Is there an indication on the projector bulb unit telling you that its in the right orientation or do you have to fiddle around with this once you have them lit up?

Is the product you bought sturdy? How big are the ballasts?

1.) I put some dots of hot glue on the inside one when i placed it just to keep it from moving around, but it is mainly held in by pressure.

2.) Yes, the top is indicated and using the H7 washer that comes with it then you can make sure that it is lined up in the same direction as the other bulb using the tooth on that washer as an "arrow"

3.) I didn't measure the ballasts, but i think the actual measurements are in the link to the ones that i bought. you can get a pretty good idea though by the pictures. They seem like very solid projectors, the ballasts are kind of big, but when/if they burn out then they can easily be replaced by the slim style ballasts for about $30 each. (ebay)

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
No, it was a multi beer job, but that is the only one that was near the headlight when i was taking pictures, all in all the physical mounting took me about 2 hours.

I did not paint them just in case i want to take them out at any point (Doubtful). Once i KNOW i am in love with them then i will probably take them out and paint the reflectors.

This is the kit that i ordered:
PnP HID Bi-Xenon Projector Kit, 9006 9005 9007 H4 H7 H1 : eBay Motors (item 170426866083 end time Feb-25-10 05:32:41 PST)

And here are the Pics from the sides to get an idea of the size of the projectors (as requested):

Looks just as hot from the side. Thanks for posting:thumbup:

That unit is some $60- cheaper than the SportsBike lights seller. Would have to be worth considering. A few negative comments, but mainly due to not having stock. Might just have to wait a bit.

Going back to my first post, I assumed that you were not getting High Beam using the H7 on both sides, but now from subsequent posts I gather you get high beam (on BOTH bulbs) - the H4/H7 is just the fitment of the socket?? Is that correct.:confused:

Well done.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I gather you get high beam (on BOTH bulbs) - the H4/H7 is just the fitment of the socket?? Is that correct.:confused:

Well done.

Exactly!

Yeah, I would contact him before placing the order, he had me waiting for almost 2 weeks before i contacted him and it turns out he had the kit, but not the 8000k bulb, so i had him switch me to the 6000k bulb and send me the kit.

the $60 savings was worth the wait to me, but like i said, contact him right after placing the order. He is good at responding, but bad at coming to you when something is out of stock. it only took 3 days to get once i had him ship me something he had in stock.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
He used H7 because it has a smaller housing. H4 would require cutting (or Dremel) the H7 side to the larger H4 side.
With dual H7 he can take them out are revert if needed, and no hacking the housing and possibly making a big mistake.

Great work. Love the outcome. Now post some finished pics!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Reiobard, great job. The only concern I can think of with this solution is that the H7 keyed projector you have mounted in the H4 side may rotate on you due to vibration.... if you could use a sheet metal screw to 'pin' the H4 base plates to the H7 projector, you could ensure the projector will stay aligned...

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Reiobard, great job. The only concern I can think of with this solution is that the H7 keyed projector you have mounted in the H4 side may rotate on you due to vibration.... if you could use a sheet metal screw to 'pin' the H4 base plates to the H7 projector, you could ensure the projector will stay aligned...

Not a bad idea, maybe i'll do that, it is pretty snug in there, so i am not sure that it would twist, but better to be safe than sorry.

and yes, the H7 is a much smaller hole, so it is a lot easier and less chance of messing up big time putting something small in a big hole than trying to fit something big through a small hole. (sounded dirty?)

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
it is a lot easier and less chance of messing up big time putting something small in a big hole than trying to fit something big through a small hole.

Many ladies out there would disagree...

Is this mod really worth it reiobard? I'm racking my brains here on whether I should spend the money (not easy to come by as a student!!) and go with the H7 set up like you've done. I found that most sellers are from China and the guys you bought from wont ship worldwide.

The guys i'm looking at: http://cgi.ebay.com/PROJECTOR-LEN-K...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e5910358a

And these guys: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bi-x...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Not a bad idea, maybe i'll do that, it is pretty snug in there, so i am not sure that it would twist, but better to be safe than sorry.

and yes, the H7 is a much smaller hole, so it is a lot easier and less chance of messing up big time putting something small in a big hole than trying to fit something big through a small hole. (sounded dirty?)

I'll just go ahead and ignore the square peg, big hole references....:spank:

The H7 projector is only clamped to the H4 plates by the pressure of the H4 mounting system, or is it done another way? It's the vibration that will let the projector 'walk'... and since it's only got the plane of rotation to work in, at some point it will do so.