Hiccup in power delivery accelerating in 2nd. very troubling.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like your issue was a lower rod bearing.

That rod let loose from the crank and tried to exit the block...

Still plenty of parts you can sell off and sell to offset the "new" engine..

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I had time, I'd replace the engine, but I need something running safely ASAP.

Someone is selling a 2005 in the same silver color. I'll probably buy that this afternoon, then I can just swap the upgraded suspension bits over.

Regardless, there are probably going to be a whole bunch of S1 parts available here in the next few weeks.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
enfjL8k.jpg

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Sorry I had to. That is nuts dude.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone on these boards swapped an FZ6 motor? Any dumb specialty tools required or can I do it with normal hand tools?

Thinking about resurrecting the old bike to sell. No interest so far and I'd have to pay a salvage yard to tow it away. :(

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You list it with GOOD pic's on Craigslist?

And yes, there's threads here about the swap. No special tools, just take lots of notes, PICTURES, mark wires(where they go), etc.

Maybe a days work going slow....

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, took the plunge and ordered a new engine. Here's hoping it's a good one and nothing goes horribly wrong.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha outboard engines are NOT available as a short block or whole engine either.

However, if a marine engine blows up and is under warranty, (just learned this), Yamaha will remove a power head (engine part) from a new engine and ship it to a dealer..

Motorcycles, Yamaha, if under warranty would supply all the parts, block, etc to the dealer for assembly.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So the engine has some damage that wasn't mentioned in the ad and I'm trying to figure out what to do: Ship it back (expensive and I'm not sure how?) or put it in and deal with a probable oil leak and ask for a partial refund. The bottom bolt hole nubbin that the timing cover mounts to is completely shorn off.

What would you do?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So the engine has some damage that wasn't mentioned in the ad and I'm trying to figure out what to do: Ship it back (expensive and I'm not sure how?) or put it in and deal with a probable oil leak and ask for a partial refund. The bottom bolt hole nubbin that the timing cover mounts to is completely shorn off.

What would you do?

I would replace the cover and remove/replace the shorn bolt.

Have a picture?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff, the main block itself is cracked where the CCT cover bolts to, the front lower right as you look straight at it.

It probably won't leak (it just see's slight oil splash, it's NOT like a crack in the oil pan) but I'd either have him knock off a large percentage of the purchase price, have him take it back(he won't want that).

If he's a butt head, put a contest charge on your Credit Card or thru Pay Pal, he'll deal...

Last edited:

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff, the main block itself is cracked where the CCT cover bolts to, the front lower right as you look straight at it.

It probably won't leak (it just see's slight oil splash, it's like a crack in the oil pan) but I'd either have him knock off a large percentage of the purchase price, have him take it back(he won't want that).

If he's a butt head, put a contest charge on your Credit Card or thru Pay Pal, he'll deal...

Ditto to that

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't find a welder that will fix it, but I found one that said it should cost about $150, so I'm asking for that amount back.

The engine swap is mostly done, actually. I still have to put back in the radiator, battery, airbox and fuel tank, but the hard part is done.

The throttle bodies are a PITA.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it starts, so that's something.

Missed the connector somewhere for the radiator fan and the brake light isn't working, so I need to tear it apart a bit again. It also leaks oil. :(