Hey all mechanically inclined:'07 Ninja problem

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a used Ninja 250 with 4000mi on it, on my first full day out, bike blew a coolant hose & lost all coolant. I didn't know anything happened until bike lost power then stalled. How much damage am I looking @? It was a cool day but engine did smell 'hot' when I got to a stop. I did notice temp was running on the high side of normal(never in the red), but when I looked down again temp was going down so I figured I'd address it when I took bike in for new tires next wk, this was about 10mi before engine stalled. I'm guessing that the temp went down on the gauge when the coolant ran out :eek:
Thanks for any info anyone can give
Tami

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Your temp gauge never went into the "red" because your engine lost all of it's coolant. The temp sensor was therefore unable to properly read the temp because it was no longer in contact with coolant.

As long as the motor isn't locked up, a good place to start is with a compression test. This will help determine if you've melted any components down. Good compression is vital to proper operation. I'm not sure what factory compression specs are, but someone will likely have a manual and provide them to you.

I'd be checking the oil for proper level. Pay close attention to the color of the oil... if it looks creamy, there's a good chance you've warped your head and caused an internal coolant leak.

Coolant in the oil= bad news for bearings.

Last edited:

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys! Yes engine does turn over, oil looks OK, I didn't know I had a coolant leak until engine shut down & I got off & saw it leaking. I was out all day on bike, stopped many times never had any indication of a leak until it died & I coasted to a place to get pulled off (small country road). The hose that came out is on the bottom of the engine & it has an O-ring on it.
I was glad it did turn over when I got it home, @ least it isn't seized up.
Thanks again for your info....

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
An update....bolt was missing allowing hose to come out :( Head gasket blown:shakehead: Gonna tear it down tomorrow to look for further damage ie: warped head He is also gonna try to get Kawi to warranty the repairs. He said he has never encountered the bolts coming loose especially on a bike with so few miles. I miss my FZ & was hoping this bike could get me back to having fun in the twisties here.... everyone cross your fingers n say a prayer for my poor little Ninja...lol