Help! TCP cowl painted in Dayton oh?

thecariboumoose

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys I recently acquired a black TCP seat cowl, which I am stoked about, but I need it body matched to my 2008 Cobalt Blue FZ6, so i hoped on the bike ad drove around to some collision repair shops to get some quotes:
$150
$180
$225
$300

Geepers, the thing only measures 13 x 15 ", SO i am looking for some help or advice on where to go, Im located in Dayton OH, 45459. If any of you work in an auto shop or have excess to a paint booth, im more then willing to pay, just trying to get some cheaper quotes!

Thanks guys
Ben

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just as point of reference: Lets say the going rate for paint shop is $70/hr

If you did nothing but hand them the part:
Wipe down -remove silicone grease etc
Wet sand - so paint will stick
Wipe down -remove silicone grease etc
Prime if needed (Lets say no)

Shop materials:
paint (base coat) - Most times can only buy a quart even though you need less than pint
paint (clear coat)
Both of these require reduces and hardeners. Lets figure the small amount could easily be $50 bucks. FYI: Red cost most than other colors typically.

Paint - Typically they can only buy a quart even though you need less than pint unless they are so big they have left over OR their own mixing system. Because the part is so small they have to stand and wait for each coat to flash before applying the next so figure 4 coats times 6 to 10 min each = 24min X 2 (Base & Clear) = 50 minutes to spray a tiny part.

Basically a whole hour to paint it "right" and clean their spray gun + materials. $150 is not that bad! The higher pricers are more realistic unless you supply the materials. Sad eh?!