HElP! fz6 or R6s

s.dave9

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, so I'll get right to the point I'm selling my xt250 in the next few weeks and am looking to move up in size. The 250 really left me wanting in power especially when it came to tourque. I've been researching 600cc bikes for a few weeks now it's down to either a Fz6 or R6s. I'll be buying new so please compare the new ones. I will be doing quite a bit of riding in town(school and work) but would like a bike thats alot of fun in the twisties. I love the looks of both bikes but I have concerns that the R6s would be too much bike for me. I'm really torn I love both of these bikes and can't make up my mind.
:confused:
Alittle bit about me( if this helps):
-I'm young still in my teens.
-This bike will be all I will be able to afford for a long time so I really want something I won't grow bored of.
-I'm still a new rider but have about 5,000 miles of under my belt.
- I'm 5'10'' and 130lbs

So what should I buy???

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is an amazing bike and i dont feel you will be wanting more. It still has more than enough power to get you into trouble but it comes on smooth and it is in an easy to ride package. The FZ6 is more versital and you will feel comfortable in any riding conditions on it. Where the R6s is a more laid over full race high RPM beast.

autobahn70

Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, I believe the fz6 would be a better choice over the r6s, but nobody can tell you what you want. Can't say Ive ever actually rode a sport bike, but ive sat on one and they are uncomfortable. The FZ is very fun in the twisties and I can still ride it for hours. Either way, i'm sure youll be happy no matter which one you get. Pulling up on your new bike is the best feeling in the world.

-Ryan

P.S. be careful where you park it at school, theres a lotta dumb*ss kids out there

s.dave9

Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, I believe the fz6 would be a better choice over the r6s, but nobody can tell you what you want. Can't say Ive ever actually rode a sport bike, but ive sat on one and they are uncomfortable. The FZ is very fun in the twisties and I can still ride it for hours. Either way, i'm sure youll be happy no matter which one you get. Pulling up on your new bike is the best feeling in the world.

-Ryan

P.S. be careful where you park it at school, theres a lotta dumb*ss kids out there
Thanks, I know it's going to come down to personal taste but i really appreciate all the advice i can get.
Good point about the parking, Thankfully I've got a good friend who lives close to the school who is willing to let me park at his house so it shouldn't be an issue

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Hi, so I'll get right to the point I'm selling my xt250 in the next few weeks and am looking to move up in size. The 250 really left me wanting in power especially when it came to tourque. I've been researching 600cc bikes for a few weeks now it's down to either a Fz6 or R6s. I'll be buying new so please compare the new ones. I will be doing quite a bit of riding in town(school and work) but would like a bike thats alot of fun in the twisties. I love the looks of both bikes but I have concerns that the R6s would be too much bike for me. I'm really torn I love both of these bikes and can't make up my mind.
:confused:
Alittle bit about me( if this helps):
-I'm young still in my teens.
-This bike will be all I will be able to afford for a long time so I really want something I won't grow bored of.
-I'm still a new rider but have about 5,000 miles of under my belt.
- I'm 5'10'' and 130lbs

So what should I buy???

I would suggest buying a low mileage used bike from a private party. Often times you can find a fabulous bike a year or two old with barely any miles on it for about half what a brand new one costs. Search craigslist for used 2007 FZ6's and often you can find them for less than five grand. If you have to finance, cedit unions will be able to get great rates on used bikes. I have 6% on my used 2006.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I would suggest buying a low mileage used bike from a private party. Often times you can find a fabulous bike a year or two old with barely any miles on it for about half what a brand new one costs. Search craigslist for used 2007 FZ6's and often you can find them for less than five grand. If you have to finance, cedit unions will be able to get great rates on used bikes. I have 6% on my used 2006.

This is solid advice.

At 5'10" and 130lbs, I suggest you invest the money in some steak and put some weight on! (j/k)

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I too have 5k miles under my belt (2k of which was on the FZ6). With our relative inexperience, the <8k rpm sedate nature is nice - it's not easy to make a mistake and get into the Dangerous Power Zone. You are won't get bored on this, as the > 8k performance is substantial. I feel like I've touched about 10% of its potential. I'm too much of a chicken to go to 11%. Many members have had them for years. People aren't growing bored on them, although some switch bikes for a variety of reasons.

Sounds like you are doing some every-day riding. FZ6 will be better than that, as it sits upright and is comfortable. I'd think R6 (full disclosure: which I've never ridden or even sat on) is a screaming rev machine. If you want the full-on sport bike look and riding style, then consider it.

s.dave9

Reaction score
Visit site
This is solid advice.

At 5'10\" and 130lbs, I suggest you invest the money in some steak and put some weight on! (j/k)

LOL tell me about it. When i get my bike one of the first places i will be hitting is the gym to bulk up.

As far as buying used i've been looking and haven't been able to find anything.
BTW. I failed to mention that i've been working my butt off this past year and will be able to afford the bike outright. However as it's been pointed out insurance may become a factor.

s.dave9

Reaction score
Visit site
i have both a fz6 and a zx6 what kind of riding do u do?

I think it will be used mostly for going to and from school and work. But i also like go for up in the mts. and enjoy the twisties when i can. I'm not going to say I obey the speed limit all of the time but top speed really isn't to much of a concern. In your opinion which of the bikes would have better handling? Also i have read that in the upper speeds the suspension on the fz6 is a bit soft. Any truth to this?

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I think it will be used mostly for going to and from school and work. But i also like go for up in the mts. and enjoy the twisties when i can. I'm not going to say I obey the speed limit all of the time but top speed really isn't to much of a concern. In your opinion which of the bikes would have better handling? Also i have read that in the upper speeds the suspension on the fz6 is a bit soft. Any truth to this?

LOL! I weigh 2x what you weigh and the suspension is soft for me. For you... I don't think it will be an issue (130lbs??? I weighed that in Jr. High!)

It really depends on your ideal riding situation. I like to be able to go for hours and hours.... and HOURS without pain. For hundreds of miles at once, the FZ6 will out shine the R6S by a long shot. For flat out sport biking, the R6s will triumph.... but I GUARANTEE you cannot exploit a Ninja 250 to it's potential given your xt250 background. The FZ6 will have MORE than enough sport for your biking. :thumbup:

Where in New York are you?

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I test rode both before I bought mine, as I had the same decision you did. I LOVE the R6s and even the R6, I drooled over the full fairing for a while (literally drooled) but it came down to comfort. My bike is my only transportation, I need it to be good everywhere from traffic jams to 600km trips.

The R6s is an amazing bike. The FZ borrows the same motor with minor changes. FZ has more low down torque and power, R6s more top end. Speed is almost identical. Slow speed handling goes to the FZ, high speeds to the opposite, but the FZ is very close.

Any maintenance will be easier on the FZ having the center stand and no fairing. Aftermarket is very big for both actually.

What made the decision for me is a passenger. I got a girlfriend who loves riding so much she bought her own helmet just to date me in the beginning. FZ is superior on two up. R6 came no where near, infact I almost lost her when I decided to hit the throttle hard.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Get the FZ, better for all purpose use and still plenty of fun in the mountians. I live in and ride the twistys all the time with bigger sportbikes. The FZ does just fine keeping up, even with an old fat ass aboard... um I mean a mature rider.
Buying used is a good idea, with the money you save buy really good gear. Full face helmet,jacket,pants,boots and really good gloves cause you are worth it, right? If you still have any money left the bike sounds great with aftermarket exhausts!

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You know asking for a preference on an FZ6 site is a little biased.

The FZ has all the power you will need, and you won't tire of it.

If you are going to school you will appreciate its riding position and its superior utility at other things besides going faster and twisties.

The FZ will be less expensive to buy, operate (gas mileage & insurance), and maintain. And all you will really be giving up is horsepower and technology that exceeds your need.

Save your money, get a good education, then a good job, and then buy an R6.

FZ6 in Gresham

Reaction score
Visit site

For mostly commuting with a little mountain road and touring time I would definitely go with the FZ6.

I've had mine for a little over a year and a half. most of my riding is in town commuting, but I love to go ride the country roads and could do a 300 mile day with no trouble. Once I rode from Portland Oregon to Seattle Washington for an 8 hour class then back in the same day. That's about 189 miles each way. Yes, it was a long day and I don't think I could have done it as comfortably if at all on a R6.

After riding year round in all Kinds of weather I've learned to love the power band that some sport bike riders say is sluggish off the line. Since it rains a lot here it's nice to have a bike that will take off smoothly without spinning the tire. After you hit 10k hold on and enjoy the grin that comes to your face. I don't think I need to be able to do 0-60 in less then 3.5 seconds or go over 140mph.

After 17,500 miles I'm still very happy with my choice!

rent-a-reaper

captain caveman!
Reaction score
Visit site
for a teen you cannot go wrong with the fz, i've had mine for 4 years and have not outgrown it's performance. It is the jack of all trades bike, it's great for hauling (if you have bags) and alot cheaper on insurance! It has plenty of power and handling (saw a youtube vid of a guy on a fz keeping up with a ducati 748 thru the twisties). I think an r6 is a little excessive and way overpriced when the fz is pretty much the same thing without the plastic...just my take tho... :thumbup: