HElP! fz6 or R6s

The FZ6 is very nice commuter motorcycle, but the R6s can be a great commuter motorcycle as well. When I first started researching 600s, the FZ6 and the R6s were in my list. The FZ6 has more practical items such as bigger seat, a centerstand, fuel gauge and a larger tank. The R6s on the other hand has more performance items like more sophisticated fuel injection, better suspension with more adjustability, lighter frame, and a higher reving motor. I honestly was really going for the R6s. Eventhough it may seem impractical for everyday riding, aftermarket parts can fix that. No centerstand? Well I can just purchase a rear stand and spools for it. Uncomfortable ride? Easy, buy some handlebars and a nice seat. Add some sport bags to it and I have sport tourer. Fuel gauge? Well, most of the time I only need one to know when its almost empty so a low fuel light would do just fine. Also, comparing aftermarket exhast prices, the R6s' exhausts are a lot more cheaper than the FZ6's. Plus, the R6s has a nice full fairing. In the end I chose the FZ6. Why? Mainly because of value. For the amount of money one spends to make the R6s comfortable, I think with the same amount one could have a much nicer FZ6 or nicer gear.

The FZ's upright seating position is great for traffic. If you put your helmet on and your leathers and try to look up, this is how you ride on an R6. Your helmet will press into the back of your jacket and you have to work to look up ahead. On the FZ you can easily look over the top of cars without strain.

You should be able to ride for longer in the twistys on an FZ, as you'll have less weight on your wrists.

Can't tell you what the R6 is like for passengers or luggage but I can guess that passenger comfort is not great.

Another thing to remember is that the FZ6 and the R6 have essentially the same power plant, just "de-tuned". This means that the FZ6 won't rev as hard as the R6 so engine life should be longer if you tend to ride hard. While this means less power I don't know that that you will miss it as the FZ will carry the front wheel up to 130 odd km/h from the line.
Cheers
Mike

for a teen you cannot go wrong with the fz, i've had mine for 4 years and have not outgrown it's performance. It is the jack of all trades bike, it's great for hauling (if you have bags) and alot cheaper on insurance! It has plenty of power and handling (saw a youtube vid of a guy on a fz keeping up with a ducati 748 thru the twisties). I think an r6 is a little excessive and way overpriced when the fz is pretty much the same thing without the plastic...just my take tho... :thumbup:

I don't think our bike is the R6 without the plastics, it has a lot to envy in the performance department and a lot to show off in the comfort department. It all comes down to personal choice. All I know for a fact is that the FZ will not disappoint you.

Hi, so I'll get right to the point I'm selling my xt250 in the next few weeks and am looking to move up in size. The 250 really left me wanting in power especially when it came to tourque. I've been researching 600cc bikes for a few weeks now it's down to either a Fz6 or R6s. I'll be buying new so please compare the new ones. I will be doing quite a bit of riding in town(school and work) but would like a bike thats alot of fun in the twisties. I love the looks of both bikes but I have concerns that the R6s would be too much bike for me. I'm really torn I love both of these bikes and can't make up my mind.
:confused:
Alittle bit about me( if this helps):
-I'm young still in my teens.
-This bike will be all I will be able to afford for a long time so I really want something I won't grow bored of.
-I'm still a new rider but have about 5,000 miles of under my belt.
- I'm 5'10'' and 130lbs

So what should I buy???

I hear your pain! I had a TW200 and wanted to upgrade - but I didn't want to upgrade to something huge and kept my selection to the 600-650 range. I thought I would end up buying new since there wasn't a lot of used out there (that I liked) but my husband stumbled across a very slightly used FZ6. After doing a bunch of research and comparisons, I decided to buy it and have not regretted it one bit.

Every time I take the bike for a spin I find my self saying, "Gosh I love this bike.", and I don't forsee trading or upgrading for a very long time - it does everything I want it to do. And - the transition (or should I say my learnign curve) from the TW to this one was pretty smooth.

Good luck with your decision! Make sure you pop back on and let us know what you ended up buying.

P.S. There have also been some nice FZ6's on ebay lately.

Hey Bro,
Innsurance is way cheaper on an FZ6 than a R6s, if you're a teenager you are looking at a high rate. I would do some rate shopping.

I must really be getting screwed on insurance then. I went from an 04 R6 which is almost exactly the same as the R6S to an 04 FZ6 and my insurance stayed the same. Geico said they put the vin into their computer and the bikes come up as being a 600cc sport bikes with an aluminum frames so there is no difference. So with all that said if you go with geico there might not be a difference in insurance.

Hey Bro,
Innsurance is way cheaper on an FZ6 than a R6s, if you're a teenager you are looking at a high rate. I would do some rate shopping.

Ditto. Back when I was a teenager, the insurance on a CBR 600F3 was half the cost of the bike per year. A Bandit on the other hand was under $600 per year. If you are under 21, stay away from bikes with full fairings.

I must really be getting screwed on insurance then. I went from an 04 R6 which is almost exactly the same as the R6S to an 04 FZ6 and my insurance stayed the same. Geico said they put the vin into their computer and the bikes come up as being a 600cc sport bikes with an aluminum frames so there is no difference. So with all that said if you go with geico there might not be a difference in insurance.

GEICO might be the problem. With my current insurance company there is a huge difference between the R6,R6s and the FZ6. I would change insurance companies. Although when I had GEICO, one speeding ticket was enough for them to drop me.:eek: So I was forced to shop around and found out that I was getting ripped off on my non auto insurance through them.

I also recently upgraded from an XT-250 as a learning bike. I'm very happy with the FZ6. Either bike you pick will vastly out perform the XT so I wouldn't sweat it about by how much.

I picked the FZ6 because I knew I'd be riding it a lot and still being a new rider, (under 10k miles) I wanted a bike that would be more suited to commuting and giving me room to learn.

Plus, the cost of the bike and insurance is lower too but you'll still want to spend some time and shop around for a good rate.

The R6 might afford you some bragging rights to anyone who actually races but all your regular 4-wheeled friends, will still see the FZ6 as a sport bike. :thumbup:

:thumbup: Thanks you guys i can't tell you how much help you have been. And I think i'll be going with the Fz6 and save the full on race bike for when my insurance rates won't be so high. I still have a month or two before i will be buying so i will keep an eye out for used but I will admit i have my heart kindof set on a bright and shiny new bike.

Follow the advice of the others before you purchase. Check on insurance!!! It was a long time ago, but when I was 19 I went to buy an FZR600, but the salesmen asked me if I had checked on insurance. I checked on insurance and the cheapest I could find was about $1900.00/year. I couldn't afford that at the time, so I ended up going in and thanking the salesman and purchasing a Yamaha Warrior ATV from him.

On the new bike thing, I bought my brand new '06 FZ6 in April of last year. At about 300 miles I decided I could take some twisty fairly hard. I was wrong, I had no idea what I was doing. The FZ just slid straight out from under me. Moral of the story, It wasn't shiny and new anymore.

Good luck on whatever you decide!!

Follow the advice of the others before you purchase. Check on insurance!!! It was a long time ago, but when I was 19 I went to buy an FZR600, but the salesmen asked me if I had checked on insurance. I checked on insurance and the cheapest I could find was about $1900.00/year. I couldn't afford that at the time, so I ended up going in and thanking the salesman and purchasing a Yamaha Warrior ATV from him.

On the new bike thing, I bought my brand new '06 FZ6 in April of last year. At about 300 miles I decided I could take some twisty fairly hard. I was wrong, I had no idea what I was doing. The FZ just slid straight out from under me. Moral of the story, It wasn't shiny and new anymore.

Good luck on whatever you decide!!

I'm convinced that the worst 4 letter word is "oops"... glad you are alright though.

IMO:

FZ6 - Middle weight sport-tourer. Goes anywhere, very comfortable for city use, cheaper insurance, generally lower cost, more forgiving if you make a mistake. Stock has no lower fairing so cheaper to fix if dropped. Better for riding 2 up. Up right riding position also gives you better view of what is ahead.

R6s - Designed for the track with lights and mirrors slapped on. Opposite to the description above. Try going for a long ride and you'll end up with a sore back. Riding position not only uncomfortable, you'll be looking at the ground constantly. No center stand, you'll need to buy paddock stands to work on your own bike.

:thumbup: Thanks you guys i can't tell you how much help you have been. And I think i'll be going with the Fz6 and save the full on race bike for when my insurance rates won't be so high. I still have a month or two before i will be buying so i will keep an eye out for used but I will admit i have my heart kindof set on a bright and shiny new bike.

Good choice!! I really wanted a fully faired bike when i was looking but i soon realized i didnt have the experience to get this kind of bike. I'm still in high school and with a clean driving record insurance rates were outragous. So i got an FZ6. I work 50-60 hours per week in summer and 20-30 during the winter so money wasn't the biggest deal. I was thinking of trading my FZ6 in for an R6s or a CBR 600 RR but i think i'd miss my baby too much. So i think ill order a leo vince pipe and wake the entire neighborhood up at 6 every morning when i go to work!! You wont get sick of an FZ6 for a very long time if ever.

Good choice!! I really wanted a fully faired bike when i was looking but i soon realized i didnt have the experience to get this kind of bike. I'm still in high school and with a clean driving record insurance rates were outragous. So i got an FZ6. I work 50-60 hours per week in summer and 20-30 during the winter so money wasn't the biggest deal. I was thinking of trading my FZ6 in for an R6s or a CBR 600 RR but i think i'd miss my baby too much. So i think ill order a leo vince pipe and wake the entire neighborhood up at 6 every morning when i go to work!! You wont get sick of an FZ6 for a very long time if ever.

agreed Leo Vince make a NICE system

I like my FZ6, very manuverable, and easy to learn on. That being said I sometimes with I could lay down on the bike a little more as I end up leaning over move to get out of the wind and bugs. Not sure if I would like a full sport bike but I do like leaning over sometimes. Other than that the bike is great.

Bill3508

Hello,

don't under-estimate the upright seating position of the FZ6. After my XT600 I got a TRX850 sport bike which was really nice to drive on the street. But the forward-leaning seating position made rides over 1 hour not very comfortable.
At the moment I think the FZ6 is the perfect bike for me. Really comfortable to ride with enough sport ambitions to make some faster turns, too.
I would say ... get a FZ6 when you had a XT but maybe test-ride both before it.

BR Robert

First:
I've seen a lot of posts talking about the R6s as being a track bike... the R6 is the track bike, the R6s is the track bike with alterations to make street riding more comfy:thumbup: but they are in fact different.

Second:
Go used either way for sure. not sure where in NY you live but if you're anywhere on the eastern side of the state check out the want ad digest ( Motorcycles Yamaha - Classifieds Want Ad Digest ) Lots of good stuff in there.

Third:
I have had the same dilemma. I went with the FZ6 for price, insurance, and what I thought was going to be a better beginner bike... over the R6s it probably is but beginner bike it is not:spank: I do find myself drawn to mods that make it more like a full sport bike though. I've done the FZ1 handlebar but now I'm looking at doing the clippon's for a more aggressive riding position. Also thinking about rearsets, or maybe oso2k's set back plates. either way you'll be happy. Just make sure the insurance company doesn't rape you!

they're known to not use any lube on guys your age. :eek:

Last edited:
FWIW, I bought my 2004 in 2005 w/ 1,200 miles on it. It was mint and even still had the warning stickers on it.

First:
I've seen a lot of posts talking about the R6s as being a track bike... the R6 is the track bike, the R6s is the track bike with alterations to make street riding more comfy:thumbup: but they are in fact different.

You realize the R6S is just the old (pre 2005) R6, right? It's a street legal race bike...no getting around that.

Back