Help!! Engine running rough / spluttering :(

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
the bike has 29k miles, and been spluttering on open throttle in high gears at low speeds the odd odd time over the last few weeks.

I am just after washing the bike and after drying it i sprayed wd40 over the engine, exhaust and other mechanical parts to prevent rust.

the bike now has started running very roughly and splutters when revved.

Would this be due to wd40 getting into the small hole on the left side of the engine?? or into the air intake?? I have a recording and a picture of the hole on the sire of the engine

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a faulty TPS (throttle position sensor), it is covered under Yamaha recall and will be done free of charge by a Yamaha dealer.
You may have got some water in the plugs or coils, however the bike was running rough before you washed it.

Neil

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
the tps unit was actually replaced 2k miles before I bought the bike. have a receipt from clonal motorcycles from the previous owner.

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
You washed the bike and are now having problems: open every electrical connector, spray electronics cleaner in them, blow them out with compressed air, then see if the drivability problem reappears.

Then, you need to check for the following:

Spark - do you have it consistently?
Fuel - do you have consistent, proper fuel pressure

My wager is that your ignition or fuel system is intermittently cutting-out due to water in an electrical connector.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Um you sprayed it down with wd-40? I'm sorry I got a laugh out of that, bikes are water proof no need for wd40 especially on the exhaust. I'd be willing to bet you got water down around the spark plugs and that's what's causing the stumble

Edit, didn't reals you said it was doing the same before the was so now my money is on tps like nelly said

Last edited: