Help? 06 speedometer on 05

sweetfreedom

Reaction score
Visit site
A little backstory. Bought a naked 05 fz6 2 years ago with no headlight or turn signals and no speedometer. There are two plugs (are these the harnesses?) that are just hanging. I pulled a few pins after hours of studying a wiring diagram to wire a temporary headlight and turnsignals on both front and rear- this was a success thanks to this forum for pointing out where I can get wiring diagrams. Well I come for help again cause I don't know where else to go!

I recently acquired a speedometer from an 06 fz6 that had two plugs (harnesses?). Come to find out the plugs don't fit each other. Am I missing something? I can't really make sense of the service manual or it doesn't really show how a speedo is wired on. I also bought the VST2 headlight, which I'm still waiting on. Will this be the missing puzzle piece and should I wait before I start hacking wires or should I go ahead and try to create new plugs (again, are these what you would call a harness?)

As you can tell, my mechanical expertise isn't the greatest but after hours of studying diagrams and manuals I am confident in my ability to do the work. Just need the info first!

Thanks in advanced

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pictures would be tremendously helpful here (even if you just use your cell phone camera). 06 speedo should fit 05 bike without modifications.

sweetfreedom

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I will snap some pics tonight and upload them. Perhaps you can answer this question in the meantime: How many harnesses should exist from the front end of the bike to power speedo and lights?

sweetfreedom

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I have the speedo (large round 06 model) and dev_usc's light kit ready to install.
Seems like there was no point in waiting for the light since its going to require its own wiring.

The front of the bike is naked, missing everything. I have two connectors and a relay hanging from the front (circled in the pic).
The speedo has two connectors as well.

One of the connectors from the bike fits one connector in the speedo and seems to dimly power it. When I turn the bike on, I can see the speedo is dimly lit however it doesn't light up all the way, and doesn't seem to display anything. For example, it doesn't do the pre-ignition checks (with rpm and speed meter doing their 'lightshow') when the fuel is pumped prior to ignition.

The front of the bike still has a connector that's free (This is the connector I pulled the headlight and turn signal wires from) and the speedo has a connector that's free (don't know where this goes).

What am I missing or what should I do to get the speedo working? Speedo came off a crashed fz6, perhaps its just dead?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
The speedo for the most part should be the same but I thi k they changed the style plugs that was used from 05 to 06 so you might have to either find the right plugs and rewire your harness, look for a harness adaptor (dont even know if they exsist) or find a 04-05 speedo

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
OP, the speedometers are EXACTLY the same from '04 through '06. If you could post a close up picture of the front of the bike (as that shot with the tiny red circle is useless for these purposes), it would be much more helpful.

These are the schematics for both the '05 FZ6 speedometer (they call it a meter) and the '06 FZ6. Exactly the same.

'05:

Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2005>FZ6ST FZ6>METER

'06:

Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2006>FZS6V FZ6>METER

Again, give us a close up shot of the wiring coming out of the bike and the back of the speedometer you're putting on. THEN we can give you some direction. :thumbup:

sweetfreedom

Reaction score
Visit site
ok my bad on the picture. it was much bigger on the screen. sorry :(

well i took more pics, hopefully they are good cause camera sucks.

1st pic is of the 2 connectors out of the bike. the strands of wires are the headlight, ground and turn signals. they are hanging like that because i simply cut them off of the last headlight.

2nd pic is the back of the speedometer

3rd pic is the only way i can make sense of it. the black connector out of the speedo meets with the connector that did not house the light wires.

when i turn the bike on, all the characters possible that can appear, do so. so i see 8's everywhere there are numbers, the rev meter completely blacks out however no neutral, brights, or check engine indicator light up.

Last edited:

Curguy

Reaction score
Visit site
I think You still missing a piece. The wire that plugs in those 2 plugs and at the other end has the connector for the headlights, black and white plugs for the speedo and connections for the blinkers.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, I think I see your problem. I think you're missing the wiring harness. You've got two plugs coming out of the bike (through the hole in the frame on the left side) and two plugs coming off the back of the speedo. But in between those is a long harness that has your turn signal wires and headlight wires. You seemingly are missing this.

You should have part #8 in this diagram. Part # 5VX-84359-20-00 CORD, HEADLIGHT

Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2006>FZS6V FZ6>HEADLIGHT

But, if it helps, here's some shots of the wiring on my naked '06. It's not easy to get a good shot of the wiring harness, but maybe these will help.

Back of the speedo and connections:

cd54eadc.jpg

Closeup of the same connections:

4b33666f.jpg

These are the connectors on the other end, opposite the ones on the back of the speedo. These are the connectors you're showing that are coming out of the bike. The ones coming out of the bike don't connect directly to the ones coming out of the back of the speedo.

12f9fffa.jpg

Looking down behind the speedo. You can see all the wiring of the harness that I believe you're missing.

dd8a20fd.jpg

Again, I think you're problem is you're missing the stock wiring harness that runs from the connectors at the frame to the headlight, speedo, and turn signals. :thumbup: