Helmetzzzz

Azz

Angry Hornet
Elite Member
Reaction score
4zzdawg.com
Hey guys,

I've just got a new job, and my extremely beaten up KBC needs replacing.

I'm looking to probably spend maximum about $800 on a helmet, what do you guys recommend?

Cheers :D

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Shoei (RF) XR-1100

I have the 1000 - I love it.

thehelmetwarehouse have them cheap at the moment :D

I have the same, if its the right fit for your head I highly highly recommend one!

My old HJC was also really good at less than half the price, although the difference between the two definately was noticeable!

+1 on Helmet Warehouse too! Long ride to get there from where I live but they where extremely helpful and their pricing is hard to beat!

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a XR1000 too, love mine.

Recently bought myself a HJC Spies replica for just under $500. Love it heaps & do feel its as good quality as the almost double the price Shoei.

Azz

Angry Hornet
Elite Member
Reaction score
4zzdawg.com
Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Uhhh.. where exactly can you do this?!?

Like the look of them, and that's a great price!

EDIT: Ahh, I see the non-carbon ones are $450, if the carbon's also going for 450 elsewhere, that's a bonus :D
DO NOT buy a helmet from overseas. They are illegal in Australia because they DO NOT comply - they will not have the Australian Standards sticker on, even if it is the same as helmets sold in Australia.

:spank:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
HJC AC-12 Carbon, or Carbon Vader....I am on my second one...first one got crash tested at 140km/h, came down hard on the top of the helmet....did not even have a bump on me lump! 5 star sharp safety rating, light, good round shape fit, decent visor release system...takes 10 seconds! Not too noisy, if you cut out "neck noise". Light!

About $550 off the shelf in Australia right now...they were $699 till very recently...

Get one! they are a bargain! Not quite as good a finish as a Shoei, but damn close enough.

:thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
DO NOT buy a helmet from overseas. They are illegal in Australia because they DO NOT comply - they will not have the Australian Standards sticker on, even if it is the same as helmets sold in Australia.

:spank:

True....but there are ways around that:thumbup::D.

Besides...do all your visors have the standards sticker attached?:eek: AS 1609?

I mean any tinted ones you may have. If not (and if they are tinted or iridium they don't) then you too are an evil rebel type:D.:spank::spank:

The law states that it must be an aproved helmet or of an aproved type...All good so far.

It also states that it must have a label attached:rolleyes:.....no wukkas.....that can be sorted:BLAA: I have one sitting on my coffee table...lol.:D

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently got an HJC FS-15 Carbon Fiber helmet (MSRP US$450) for less than half that price on eBay ($215 delivered), brand new in box with all tags stickers intact. I usually get a Shoei or Arai, but have been impressed with the quality and comfort of the HJC. A comparable Shoei or Arai would be double the price (in the $800- $900 range). Very comfortable and light helmet, with good a good shield design. And I think the FS-15 is an update for the AC-12 line, at least the AC-12 is not shown on HJC's website.

I lived in Australia in the 90's and would never pay the silly Aussie prices for helmets. I would carry one home from the US when I would come home on leave and was never questioned or stopped. On track days at Phillip Island there was never any issue .... a good helmet is a good helmet, just wacking on a sticker doesn't mean it is any better.

Last edited:

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I've just bought a Craft RX6 Evo,in Matt Black.+ a Black visor (Natch) :thumbup:

Carbon mix lid,in a proper streetfighter style.The matt one I've got,has a kind of rubber texture and they also do them in gloss black and white.

Craft_RX6_Matt_Black.jpg

I paid a hundred and seventy quid for mine and the Black visor is another 45.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
True....but there are ways around that:D.

Besides...do all your visors have the standards sticker attached?:eek: AS 1609?

I mean any tinted ones you may have. If not (and if they are tinted or iridium they don't) then you too are an evil rebel type:D.:spank::spank:

The law states that it must be an aproved helmet or of an aproved type...All good so far.

It also states that it must have a label attached:rolleyes:.....no wukkas.....that can be sorted:BLAA: I have one sitting on my coffee table...lol.:D

There is an article in TwoWheels all about this very thing & what Mikey says is all good , they state that the Aussie standards 5 tick sticker or whatever they call it is actually a brand name :eek:.... True , it is actually listed on the stock exchange & really means nothing... They assure you that any helmet legal for use in Germany is the absolute highest standard due to them having the strickest testing in the world :thumbup:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Helmets in this country are tested under the 'Sharp' system,which rates them from 1 STAR = Crap. To 5 STAR = Excellent

The XR 1100 that Karen mentioned,is a 5 STAR lid,whereas the XR 1000 is rated at 3 STAR

You can see how yours would fare here - SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

Makes you wonder how an $800 helmet only got 3 stars or was even released by one of the biggest brands out there... doesn't say much for the $200 helmets.
If you ask any good helmet retailer they will tell you the difference in protection does not in any way correspond to the difference in price, there is a difference, but its slight, your are mainly paying for brand, graphics, weight/materials and small details unless your comparing a 90$ helmet to a 900$ helmet.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Makes you wonder how an $800 helmet only got 3 stars or was even released by one of the biggest brands out there... doesn't say much for the $200 helmets.
If you ask any good helmet retailer they will tell you the difference in protection does not in any way correspond to the difference in price, there is a difference, but its slight, your are mainly paying for brand, graphics, weight/materials and small details unless your comparing a 90$ helmet to a 900$ helmet.
Also more vents and removable linings. Once a lid has these, the price rises.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site

True. Just because it's a 'Name' doesn't equate to being any better than some of the other stuff out there.

For example HJC in this country isn't that well known and When I got a CLS (kind of a tour cross) All my mates scoffed at it,because of the brand name.Not one knew that HJC is a respected lid,worn by a lot of Racers in the States,they were more interested in having the right label :rolleyes: