Helmet Speakers

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,

I ma looking to buy some good but not to pricey helmet speakers. My new helmet is expected to be to tight for earbuds (cant pull helmet on without pulling them out) and I *NEED* music. I am willing to see what members might have for sale but also would not mind some recommendations

Thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I put a set of small speakers inside the cut out (ear area) of my Shoei 3/4 helmet. It was originally the speakers that come with a very small portable am/fm that goes over the top of your head and the radio clips to your belt (Sony). I cut off the adjustable band so I have just the speakers left. I then got industrial velcro and put some in the helmet ear cut out and the other piece of velcro on the back side of the speaker. The seakers were a little too far away from my ears so I made up another piece of velcro, stuck sticky side to sticky side to make a moveable spacer placing the speakers closer/adjacent to my ears.. The speaker wires are tucked inbetween the outside shell and the inside padding. I mounted the am/fm radio to the left side of my face shield after inserting plastic wire tied to the shield. The radio then clips over these ties for removal should it rain.. Works great and can be heard up to 75-80 mph...

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I put a set of small speakers inside the cut out (ear area) of my Shoei 3/4 helmet. It was originally the speakers that come with a very small portable am/fm that goes over the top of your head and the radio clips to your belt (Sony). I cut off the adjustable band so I have just the speakers left. I then got industrial velcro and put some in the helmet ear cut out and the other piece of velcro on the back side of the speaker. The seakers were a little too far away from my ears so I made up another piece of velcro, stuck sticky side to sticky side to make a moveable spacer placing the speakers closer/adjacent to my ears.. The speaker wires are tucked inbetween the outside shell and the inside padding. I mounted the am/fm radio to the left side of my face shield after inserting plastic wire tied to the shield. The radio then clips over these ties for removal should it rain.. Works great and can be heard up to 75-80 mph...

I did more or less the same thing, except I put an ipod shuffle in my helmet. stays dry and it is easy to control. Sorry about the bad pics, but it is the best that I could do at work.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
In had been thinking about the installed speakers from a headset but the mounted radios are a great idea. I found some speakers claiming awesomeness for about $50. I figure thats what a good headset would cost anyway, but can i get the volume required? I usually highway between 70-80 mph.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine were about 8 dollars from walmart, and they get louder than I want. I had to remove the backing so only the speaker exists. I put a piece of velcro on the magnet of the speaker, and in my helmet. I left the front grill of the speaker, so that the foam has a place to attach to. I would see how deep the speakers are. I think mine were 3/8 thick or so without the backing. I would not go any wider than that. It would kill me to spend 50.00 on a set of headphones just to take them apart. I would give the cheap one's a try first to see if you like them.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
well, the 50 ones were specificly for the helmet. I did buy a 9.99 version (+3.99 shipping) that comes with a bunch of the wiring needed. I figured even if the speakers are pure ****e the wires are worth 10 bones. I have some speakers from a pretty nice set of altec lansing headphones but they are fairly large and the wires are cut and will need to be soldered. I would have worked more on ths before but the wires are super fine and I was happy with the earbuds till now.

My many car projects are ending and I can now spend the last few days of spring break doing my moto projects.

On a side note, here come the R6 forks!

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
I used the standard earbuds that came with my Shuffle and tucked the shanks behind the cheek pads. With them positioned correctly I have no probelm hearing them even at Hwy speed but they do have to be positioned right which for me is all the way to the front of the opening if they slide back they can be hard to hear.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I used the standard earbuds that came with my Shuffle and tucked the shanks behind the cheek pads. With them positioned correctly I have no probelm hearing them even at Hwy speed but they do have to be positioned right which for me is all the way to the front of the opening if they slide back they can be hard to hear.

I tried that as well, but they kept falling out, so I got the ones above and velcroed(sp) them in.

D

Deleted member 2349

I got these last year...they sound good. Could be a little louder, can't hear much music in my budget helmet once I hit >50 MPH or so. But for around town there not bad(could also be the MP3 quality of some songs, some are loud enough and some aren't). I'm sure you can do a search for the cheapest price.

Looking back I'd probably just go the walmart route, and break open a cheap pair...but until they break, they will do.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
those were the ones i was looking at. You just saved me $50!!

Wally world or some other cheap, evil conglomerate; Here I come!

D

Deleted member 2349

glad to help...LOL...with the money you save do you wanna send me an inline amp so I can hear at high speeds...LMAO

Good luck and ride safe.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I got these at radioshack: http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^sc^KSC75
KSC75_1.jpg

KSC75_2.jpg

I put velcro on the backs after removing the removable ear holders. They work great and are removable for when I just want earplugs instead of earphones. Get plenty loud, and have an inline volume control to turn it down when coming off of highway speeds...otherwise it's deafening... and all for $20.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
In my googling last night I found one for $20, you want i should look and send you the link?

And no, you gotta buy it yourself ;)

glad to help...LOL...with the money you save do you wanna send me an inline amp so I can hear at high speeds...LMAO

Good luck and ride safe.

D

Deleted member 2349

I got these at radioshack: http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^sc^KSC75
KSC75_1.jpg

KSC75_2.jpg

I put velcro on the backs after removing the removable ear holders. They work great and are removable for when I just want earplugs instead of earphones. Get plenty loud, and have an inline volume control to turn it down when coming off of highway speeds...otherwise it's deafening... and all for $20.

KOSS are great...i might have check my radio shack out...those look nice. And donate mine to my girls helmet. LOL