Have you ridden an FZ1

alpinematt

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Johnny,

Congrats about the bike. It looks awesome. How long have you been riding motorcycles? MY FZ6 is my first had it over one year, still love it. Just curious about bikes with more torque. I'm not ready to commit, but someday...

Matt

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I really have eyes on the FZ1 but...the frickin' mileage factor. You only have about a 150 mile range? Geesh, I like having the 250 mile or so range with the FZ6. I travel some routes where there isn't a gas station for 110 miles. I like having a good reserve. Let us know, would you, the best mileage that you can squeeze out on your new FZ1?

Johnnylane

Reaction score
Visit site
I started riding at about age 9 until about 25. Took a big break and started riding again early this summer. The FZ1 is my fifth bike. First new one.

I'll let you know on the mileage, but obviously it has to be after the break-in. Right now I am getting poor gas mileage. I've got another 800 miles until the 1,000 mile mark.

bterrill

Reaction score
Visit site
I own and ’07 FZ1 and just purchased the '07 FZ6 for my Wife. The FZ1 is superior in every measurable category with one exception – the seat. I must admit I like the softer FZ6 seat but I still prefer the FZ1 even on longer cruses – the taller gears and low end punch make the FZ1 far more practical in every riding situation.

And don’t underestimate the value of fully adjustable suspension! The FZ1 has a firmer front and rear spring set but the adjustments help you dial in the perfect mix for your riding style and weight.

If you’re looking to upgrade your FZ6 I STRONGLY suggest you spend the extra $2.5k and go the FZ1 (07 or 08) – you will not regret the move!

towa

Papa Smurf
Reaction score
Visit site
I tryed out the FZ1 when my FZ6 was service at the dealer. I really like the FZ1, nice suspension, and very nice handlebar. Could be my next bike. The torqe is very nice,also at low rpm's.

I've asked my dealer if he could change my handlebars on the FZ6, and do something about my front suspension :D If its fixable, then I would stay on my FZ6.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I am still interested in the FZ1 but---and this is a big "but"---have you read some of the threads on the "other" FZ1 forum about frame cracking problems? If I had an FZ1 I would be watching very carefully for cracks started to develop. Maybe it was just a bad batch of welds? The Triumph Bonneville 650 way back when used to have frame cracking. I imagine that some other bikes do also. I'm going to have to sit on an FZ1 in a showroom but, still, what's with the frame cracking?

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 has similar engine characteristics like the FZ6, R6 = top heavy. I have officially erased out the FZ1 from my list and would rather prefer something with more midrange like CBR, Z1000.

colobb

Reaction score
Visit site
I am still interested in the FZ1 but---and this is a big \"but\"---have you read some of the threads on the \"other\" FZ1 forum about frame cracking problems? If I had an FZ1 I would be watching very carefully for cracks started to develop. Maybe it was just a bad batch of welds? The Triumph Bonneville 650 way back when used to have frame cracking. I imagine that some other bikes do also. I'm going to have to sit on an FZ1 in a showroom but, still, what's with the frame cracking?

Having looked at some of the pics, the welds were definitely on the poor side. One pic looked like there wasn't even a root pass. Others indicated a lack of penetration. A lot also have some serious undercut. I'm surprised that any of the welds passed on the visual testing aspect. I would say that likely cause was a welder that was either: lazy or, just not very good. I am surprised that the welded frames do not have a serial number - very important to know who did the welding, so that when they fail you can see if its the same person/machine or if its just the design, and correct the problem.

colobb

Reaction score
Visit site
I really have eyes on the FZ1 but...the frickin' mileage factor. You only have about a 150 mile range? Geesh, I like having the 250 mile or so range with the FZ6. I travel some routes where there isn't a gas station for 110 miles. I like having a good reserve. Let us know, would you, the best mileage that you can squeeze out on your new FZ1?

I too have looked at the FZ1, but like you say, very poor mileage. I might aswell just drive my car.

andrewclaycomb

Reaction score
Visit site
I went with an FZ1 instead of a 6.

Regarding fuel mileage, I get about 35 mpg on average. The highest I've gotten is about 40 (solid highway) and the lowest is about 32 (solid play).

Staying off the throttle is tough when you're having so much fun. :thumbup:

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Read a review in a motorcycle mag comparing the 2008 liter bikes, about six of them. FZ1 was their least favorite. Can't remember the details, and can't find the mag (it was my 4-year old son's, and he squirrelled it away somewhere). I think they said it is the best track bike, but the worst everyday rider. With so few details on the top of my head, this is a pretty worthless posting...

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
I too have looked at the FZ1, but like you say, very poor mileage. I might aswell just drive my car.

yea but can your car go 0-170 in a mile or less? Idk I really like the idea of an FZ1 once I get some more experience under my belt....after all I just got my bike at the end of June and its my first one, so I want to ride for a few years before I make that step up....btw Tailgate how in the heck are you getting 250 miles per fill up? I have an '07 fz6 as well and with a three gallon tank getting at max 50 miles to the gallon.....i just don't see how your doing it unless that was a typo and you meant 150 miles to the tank??:confused:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
yea but can your car go 0-170 in a mile or less? Idk I really like the idea of an FZ1 once I get some more experience under my belt....after all I just got my bike at the end of June and its my first one, so I want to ride for a few years before I make that step up....btw Tailgate how in the heck are you getting 250 miles per fill up? I have an '07 fz6 as well and with a three gallon tank getting at max 50 miles to the gallon.....i just don't see how your doing it unless that was a typo and you meant 150 miles to the tank??:confused:
Huh? Three gallon? Try 5.1 gallons. You must be thinking about something else.

andrewclaycomb

Reaction score
Visit site
Read a review in a motorcycle mag comparing the 2008 liter bikes, about six of them. FZ1 was their least favorite. Can't remember the details, and can't find the mag (it was my 4-year old son's, and he squirrelled it away somewhere). I think they said it is the best track bike, but the worst everyday rider. With so few details on the top of my head, this is a pretty worthless posting...

I've seen some reviews that say the exact opposite of what you're saying. Worthless track bike, but excellent street bike. The reason being ground clearance. If you take it over far enough to get a knee down, you're probably scraping at least the center stand or kick stand.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Huh? Three gallon? Try 5.1 gallons. You must be thinking about something else.

I have an old 78 XS 1100 and it gets 42 mpg combo miles commuting, so I think the FZ1 getting 35 City is about right for a liter bike. But I bought my FZ6 to improve my mileage. (Plus it is a vastly superior bike in every way).

I am still thinking of the FZ1 if a get a new bike and give the FZ6 to my son (He really wants an R6). But that mileage has dampened my enthusiasm a bit. May just get a new FZ6.

I get about 50 mpg on my FZ6 btw.

hedmisten

handegraphix.com
Reaction score
Visit site
I owned a CBR1000 and I left it for 600cc bikes because the mileage. The FZ1 is a great "sport and touring liter bike" but I want to be able to throw my bike around and commute while getting 50mpg or better.

For the record. I commute on the highway 80 miles a day, and my best fuel consumption was 65 mpg at 70, all highway.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I am exceedingly happy with the mileage on the FZ6. It's great! Big (probably the biggest for me) deterrent from moving up to a parallel four cylinder liter bike. But, I may still make the move someday.

colobb

Reaction score
Visit site

No, my car doesn't go 0-170 in a mile or less. However, I don't live and commute on a track. I have deer, elk, the occassional bear, etc to contend with, so sometimes for me, driving the car is the smarter choice.

I also easily get 250 miles per tank. I routinely get 55 mpg. So, like Tailgate said: "Huh? Three gallon?".

Anyway, I think we're getting a little off topic.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
3 gallons maybe on the side stand. I usually fill up on the centerstand when the light starts blinking and get 3.5-3.8 gallons. I don't push the limit on the tank - don't see a reason to. Get 41 MPG in pure city riding.

ps
sorry, I just realized I am off topic

Last edited: