Has anyone retrofitted ABS

brico

Reaction score
Visit site
Knowing that North American models do not come with ABS unlike European ones, has anyone retrofitted ABS on their bike?

topic has come up before, others have said it's not possible. I'd do it if it were possible, but I've seen no one ever assert it is. Too bad. ABS-equipped bikes are 38% less likely be involved in a fatal accident (per study from insurance institute, IIRC). That's worth the $600 the option usually costs if available.

topic has come up before, others have said it's not possible. I'd do it if it were possible, but I've seen no one ever assert it is. Too bad. ABS-equipped bikes are 38% less likely be involved in a fatal accident (per study from insurance institute, IIRC). That's worth the $600 the option usually costs if available.

It cant be impossible... acquire all the extra parts including the control unit and Id think it would be do-able.

You have to change the wheel rims also. They are different.
That's an expensive change.

I think the response in the past hasn't been that it is impossible but that for the parts and expertise needed it is too expensive and that you might as well buy a new bike with ABS.

Thanks guys. I've checked with local Yamaha dealers and they confirmed that it is not doable and feasible considering all changes required.

Some outfits out there Traction Control Braking- TCB Brake Systems TM- Traction Control Brakes System or Saferide ABS offering alternatives which after reading I have great doubts if it would work and in fact not introduce even more risk.

I've seen those things too and kind of wondered about them. I wouldn't mess with wierd aftermarket crap on brakes.

Back