Greenish oil, smells like fuel???

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
A few days ago I asked for advices regarding clunky gearbox. Now the issue becomes more obvious for me. Oil in my engine has a greenish color and smells a bit with gas. So obviously it is thiner than it should be and the gearbox may be more clunky because of it.
I am gonna change it asap but I am afraid it will not solve a bigger problem- how the fuel gets into the crank case??? Might it be caused by low distances I travel? On everyday basis I go to and back from work. And it is like 800-900 meters :p so the engine is all the time on auto-choke. I was a bit surprised with the fuel consumption which is about 10l/100km, but considering it runs all the time on richened mixture I guess it can be like that.
Anyway my plan is to fill the tank up, ride for 50 km and refill again to see the consumption in normal condidtions.
Any ideas for reason why the fuel gets to the oil?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You sure its not anti-freeze?
Green is a concern.

After about 7min, temps should be 165F or better. Is your tri[ not that long? Mine drops off the high idle in the time it takes to put earplugs, helmet and glove on.

Deff go for the oil change!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine drops off the high idle in the time it takes to put earplugs, helmet and glove on.

I could walk the 800m in the same time :spank:

Green oil sounds strange, if it was anti freeze the oil would surely be milky because of the water which might indicate a head gasket, otherwise if it was a bike with carbs and a fuel tap I would say bad rings but... not really sure.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I could walk the 800m in the same time :spank:

Green oil sounds strange, if it was anti freeze the oil would surely be milky because of the water which might indicate a head gasket, otherwise if it was a bike with carbs and a fuel tap I would say bad rings but... not really sure.

I don't do metrics, well I never put it into context at least in this case! Just wasn't much thought about "what the real distance is!" :ban: :(

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't do metrics, well I never put it into context at least in this case! Just wasn't much thought about "what the real distance is!" :ban: :(

Quarter mile is 400m, so in this case we are talking half mile ride to work, not really anytime to get things warmed up at all!

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup I agree I'm a lazy ass :p
Surely it is not antifreeze, the level of coolant is fine, motor works perfect, no smoke, nothing. And oil smells like gasoline.
So, the short distances might be the reason? I think that, if the rings were faulty or the cilinder scratched, the first sympthom would be smoke, right? The bike has only 14000 km on the clock.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the bike is not locked away could it be someone put something extra in the oil?

Change the oil and take it for a longish ride to see if it seems normal.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup I agree I'm a lazy ass :p
Surely it is not antifreeze, the level of coolant is fine, motor works perfect, no smoke, nothing. And oil smells like gasoline.
So, the short distances might be the reason? I think that, if the rings were faulty or the cilinder scratched, the first sympthom would be smoke, right? The bike has only 14000 km on the clock.

Just the first thing that came to mind regardless of distance.

Hint: blown head gaskets allow combustion gases into the oil and antifreeze. Thus it kills two birds with one stone; turns it green and smells like gas.

I AM NOT saying this is your issue, rather it was the first thing that came to mind. As stated, that ALSO leads to the oil looking like a milkshake as it turns white and foamy. Just throwing ideas out there.

Short trips will make the oil smell like gas. So maybe its as simple as the oil went in greenish and is still greenish with gas flavor?

Cliff makes a good point tho! +1

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
If it smells like gas. I wouldn't ride it. Gas is an excellent degreaser and will ruin your bottom end. If the oil was mixing with coolant it would look like ruined chocolate milk after riding. Change the oil and see if it helps. But do not ride if you suspect gas is in the oil. That's asking for trouble.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't change the oil yet. The previous owner ensured me the oil is new along with the filter. And the oil on the dipstick looks like new. Funny, because it was greenish when I checked it before the transaction was completed. And the level is constant, exactly the same as during the first inspection.
As for blown out head cylinder gasket I am sure it is fine. I had lots of combusion engine vehicles before and this engine runs perfect, no 3 cylinder start, no steam from the exhaust, no milky oil, constant coolant level and stable temperature, etc.
I will change the oil for Motul 5100 10w40 and see how it works.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't change the oil yet. The previous owner ensured me the oil is new along with the filter. And the oil on the dipstick looks like new. Funny, because it was greenish when I checked it before the transaction was completed. And the level is constant, exactly the same as during the first inspection.
As for blown out head cylinder gasket I am sure it is fine. I had lots of combusion engine vehicles before and this engine runs perfect, no 3 cylinder start, no steam from the exhaust, no milky oil, constant coolant level and stable temperature, etc.
I will change the oil for Motul 5100 10w40 and see how it works.

Just an FYI, but i used Motul 7100 10w40 the last time i changed oil and it is great! If you can afford the price difference i would really recommend going for it.

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Just an FYI, but i used Motul 7100 10w40 the last time i changed oil and it is great! If you can afford the price difference i would really recommend going for it.

For start I'll go for 5100- also very good quality, and if again fuel gets into oil I prefere to go for the cheaper option :)

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always heard that fuel in the oil is the rings going out. Do you warm up the engine before riding it the 800 meters? I've "heard" that cold starts and quick rides are hard on the cylinder walls.

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't warm it up, just started and rode. I doubt that reving cold engine to 3500 rpm would be harmfull.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't warm it up, just started and rode. I doubt that reving cold engine to 3500 rpm would be harmfull.

I think that's not a great idea!

It's always better to warm the engine up a little before you ride, especially if you are going to ride 800 meters.
Try to at least turn your bike on before you put your helmet and gloves on, to give it a minute.

Right now your bike probably never even gets out of the choke mode!