Gps mounting

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello guys....
I finally got a chance to grap sweet deal for GPS...
Just got my self Megallan R2200T and wondering if any forum member own this and found the best way mounting it.
I m looking for bar mounting in the center of handlebar, anywhere I can find..
Thank s for the input...

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found this mounting and I m thinking to go with this one since it ll mount in the center of handlebars...
I ll put some loctite for the screw to prevent loose of vibration...I think it ll work fine since GPS will be set safely in the bar..

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Bicycle-Mount-Magellan-GPS/dp/tech-data/B0017W52GC/ref=de_a_smtd[/ame]

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found this mounting and I m thinking to go with this one since it ll mount in the center of handlebars...
I ll put some loctite for the screw to prevent loose of vibration...I think it ll work fine since GPS will be set safely in the bar..

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Bicycle-Mount-Magellan-GPS/dp/tech-data/B0017W52GC/ref=de_a_smtd[/ame]

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also looking to mount my Garmin Nuvi 255W and am loking for a good mount. There is not a lot of room on the handlebars on the newer models so I'm wondering if anyone has mounted theri GPS on the handlebars adnif you have a picture?

Pelicanglider

Citizen of Creola
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a RAM mount for my Nuvi 200 and it fits very securely. I mounted it first on my BMW then transferred it over to my FZ6 with no problems. I would suggest RAM because they have so many holders for so many different GPS makes. As I said the bracket I bought really holds on to my Nuvi. I have no concern it would ever fall out while riding.

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Garmin Nuvi 250 not the Garmin Nuvi 250 widescreen version but this is how I did it and should apply to yours too.

The mount is from ebay. £4 including post and packing. Just search for :-

MOTORCYCLE BIKE MOUNT HOLDER FOR GARMIN NUVI

It works with the cradle that came with the nuvi so you detach it from your suction cup and push it on to this one instead.

Or you can get a second cradle from ebay which is what I've now done so I can leave the original in the car. Another £4 roughly. Search for

GARMIN NUVI 200 250 260 275t 275 205 265 bracket cradle

In place the pictures are on:-

http://bikerhux.blogspot.com/2009/03/gps-mark-ii.html

It sits in the centre of the handlebars and looks OK at the moment. I may put some rubber over the ball socket joint to increast the friction as the force of the wind pushes it slightly forward when you start to ....errrrrr.... make progress..... officer ;)

To be doubly sure I have velcro on the back of the GPS unit, and the cradle, to keep them together, and a quick release strap from the cradle to the handlebars.

It's not waterproof like the garmin zumo, but then it's cost me £10 in bits off ebay and a GPS unit I already had rather than £400 for a zumo.

Must... not... .spend .... all .... savings ....on .... rizoma .... bits .... must ... resist.....

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
i stuck a $2 round sticker near the upper edge of windscreen. then superglued thes uction cup to the sticker. now GPS mounts on windscreen. it's been holding rock solid due to the superglue. GPS mounts higher up so you don't need to look down very far to see it. i have the garmin 250.

Got-boost?

Reaction score
Visit site
i stuck a $2 round sticker near the upper edge of windscreen. then superglued thes uction cup to the sticker. now GPS mounts on windscreen. it's been holding rock solid due to the superglue. GPS mounts higher up so you don't need to look down very far to see it. i have the garmin 250.

If you get a chance post a photo of it.

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Garmin Nuvi 250 not the Garmin Nuvi 250 widescreen version but this is how I did it and should apply to yours too.

The mount is from ebay. £4 including post and packing. Just search for :-

MOTORCYCLE BIKE MOUNT HOLDER FOR GARMIN NUVI

It works with the cradle that came with the nuvi so you detach it from your suction cup and push it on to this one instead.

It sits in the centre of the handlebars and looks OK at the moment. I may
Yes I've seen these types of mounts on Ebay for about $10US but I don't see how they would fit over the middle of the handlebars of a 2009 model as it has the wide Yamaha logo in the middle where you have yours mounted. This only leaves very small areas to the right and left of the logo part where the bars bend up to the grips.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is my set-up (actually, it'll be changing a bit since I've ordered yet another RAM mount for my digital camera). I use RAM mounts a lot - they are amazing.

You'll notice the 'Yamaha' bar in the middle is gone. I added SW-Motech risers (1" up and 1" back) a while ago. I decided I didn't like the risers, but noticed that I could switch around some of the bolts they came with and use the caps instead of using the Yamaha top plate. Voila! Space in between the handlebars.

The cradle on the left is for a SPOT satellite tracker (just got that toy for summer trips) and the one in the middle is for a Garmin Zumo GPS. You can see the controller for the heated grips as well. I've since moved the SPOT to the other side since it can track without me pushing any buttons (it also needs to be horizontal to get a good signal).

gadgets_old.jpg

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all for the input and pictures......:thumbup:
I ll try to check on ramp products..I look their webside and seems like they only have mount for side only like either in your right or left...

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Go with RAM, and you won't be sorry. They are modular and very sturdy. The part that is GPS-specific is only $10 or so, so it's easy to drop in a replacement when you get a new GPS. When mounted, I'm pretty sure the brake levers will fall off before the GPS does. Not flimsy at all like windshield mounts are. I'll be posting photos soon - I added a RAM mount for my TomTom Go 510 and wired up a cigarette lighter port on the front fairing to power it.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You can get pretty much any type of attachment from RAM directly at www.rammount.com I ordered some stuff this morning and it'll be here by Thursday.

Whitehorsegear also stocks many of the more popular RAM attachments and has excellent service/shipping.

You can even get an attachment that but has a RAM mounting ball on top of the brake fluid resevoir.

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes it's cheaper to get creative with RAM mounts. *Any* handlebar mount will come with the U-bolt, mounting plate, and mounting arm, but the GPS-specific changes based on the unit. If you have a really popular GPS, you might be able to buy just the plate for $10 and then get an entire handlebar kit for an old GPS on super-sale somewhere. Interchangeable parts make RAM a really nice setup to use in the car, too.