Goodbye FZ6

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
That is it, she went trade in on Friday.

Just getting used to my new ride, a BMW F650GS (despite name it is a 800cc ?!?).

Will pop in now and again I am sure.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry but :needpics: LOL

Look forward to hearing you compare the two :D

Her she is... Helga

As for comparison, it is chalk and cheese. On paper slower than the FZ6 0-60 but in real life it is quicker, and certainly smoother with gear changes. So much torque from the off.

At the moment the seat is taking some getting used to, I miss the digital speedo, and the indicators really take some learning. They are the typical BMW jobbies, left indicator on left bar, right indicator on right bar.

Can't wait to see what she does when run in.

TeeJay.hu

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike, but...
As for comparison, it is chalk and cheese. On paper slower than the FZ6 0-60 but in real life it is quicker, and certainly smoother with gear changes. So much torque from the off.
You really should have tried FZ8, for comparision.

At the moment the seat is taking some getting used to, I miss the digital speedo, and the indicators really take some learning. They are the typical BMW jobbies, left indicator on left bar, right indicator on right bar.
They already "corrected" this nonsense on the K series.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I test rode a FZ1 before I bought the FZ6, was pretty good but wasn't for me.

Was looking forward to the FZ8, went to see one of first in UK with the intention of a test ride, but I sat on it and didn't like it at all.

The price of Yamaha in UK is way high for what you get, I would be looking at nearly double what I paid 2 years ago for my brand new FZ6 for an FZ8, and over double for the FZ1, no way are they double the bike of the FZ6.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats saying something! Aren't the BMW's pretty pricey? I mean I've heard they make them on the cheap these days, but they are still not to most competitive!

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats saying something! Aren't the BMW's pretty pricey? I mean I've heard they make them on the cheap these days, but they are still not to most competitive!

Depends what you compare, I got mine for about £500 less than the FZ8 (naked) the price included full BMW pannier kit, computer, heated grips, and it comes with a screen. Also has 2 year warranty (same as Yam), but also 2 years recovery, Europe wide, and includes replacement vehicle. Warranty work, or servicing and you get a courtesy bike.

The FZ8 I would be looking at buying, pannier rack, heated grips, and screen (to reduce wind buffeting). The pannier rack necessitates the moving back of the rear indicators I believe too.

Don't get me wrong enjoyed the FZ6, but for me the BMW offers me so much more.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
These days you have to worry about the fact some of the BMW engines are made in China.

Can't see the FZ8 being worth any money to be totally honest, but thats just me.

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Great bike the F800/650GS. Here in Africa every second bike is either a GS1200 or F800/650GS. Best selling bikes in South Africa.

Regarding your comment on it being "quicker" than FZ6, I take it you meant low down pull, because the FZ6 will make quick work of F800/650GS. BUT, the F800/650GS is not about going quick so nevermind that.

Can you not de-restrict it? Being a 650/800?

Last edited:

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Great bike the F800/650GS. Here in Africa every second bike is either a GS1200 or F800/650GS. Best selling bikes in South Africa.

Regarding your comment on it being "quicker" than FZ6, I take it you meant low down pull, because the FZ6 will make quick work of F800/650GS. BUT, the F800/650GS is not about going quick so nevermind that.

Can you not de-restrict it? Being a 650/800?

For my style of riding, and not being thrown about on virtually every gear change I can make quicker smooth progress than I would trying to make smooth progress on the FZ. Probably don't make sense but hey :)

The F650GS is nearly the same engine as the F800GS just as the FZ6 engine is nearly the older R6 engine, it has softer cams, and from many reports makes it a nicer ride than the F800GS. Speed wise the F650GS only loses out at the top end which isn't really an issue, unless playing top trumps.