good deal?

hankhill11

Reaction score
Visit site
good deal? +what aftermarket mods can you spot

So, i was going back and forth between the fz1 and fz6 for a while. I think im settled on the fz6 for 2 main reasons, maybe three. Larger gas tank, better fuel economy, and a little more comfort. Anyway, a local car dealership must have gotten an fz6 in on a trade, and it looks decent and is really cheap. 2999, red/black 06 with just under 6000 miles. does that sound normal? i think i'm going to go check it out if i can, after work.

here's the craigs list post. your expert eyes might be able to catch things that aren't good. only thing i see is a fender elimination..but where are the rear turn signals!!!?

2006 Yamaha FZ6 5900miles

Last edited:

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not trying to talk you out of your decision - the FZ6 is a fantastic bike. I bought an FZ6 and after a year and a half decided the FZ1 was a better bike in every way -- except fuel economy, tank size, and cost to insure.

I don't know much about the retail value of a used bike, but to me that doesn't sound like a bad price -- friend of mine recently got an 04 FZ6 for $2600.

I don't think that's the stock tail light, maybe the turn signals are integrated?

hankhill11

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought an FZ6 and after a year and a half decided the FZ1 was a better bike in every way

I am going into this with the expectation that i'll hang on to it for a couple years as well, then decide if i want the final step up. I dont think it will end up costing me to much extra in the long run if i can buy it cheap enough, but i hear exactly what you're saying.

hankhill11

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say no, not really...I've been riding my ninja ex500 for about 8 years and had a honda cm400 as my learner bike for about 3 years before that. power / performance wise, I think the fz6 is enough of an upgrade at this point. Is that what you were thinking?

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
That seems like a good ASKING price. You can probably negotiate a little lower. Especially if it's still sitting there next month. We're into the dog days of summer now, and by August they'll start getting worried.

I think the FZ6 will be plenty of a step up from a ninja 500. The FZ1 would be a giant leap. And if price is an important factor (I'm assuming it is because of the nature of your post) you're going to pay a good bit more for the FZ1. Not just in purchase price, but in rear tires and insurance. If you get your kicks from pushing your eyeballs back into your skull, the power of the FZ1 is going to be worth the extra coin. If, like me, you prefer cornering over acceleration, the FZ6 is a great mount. Even with budget suspension, it's a great handler.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say no, not really...I've been riding my ninja ex500 for about 8 years and had a honda cm400 as my learner bike for about 3 years before that. power / performance wise, I think the fz6 is enough of an upgrade at this point. Is that what you were thinking?

Yeah I was just wondering if this was going to be your first bike, I would hate to see someone get on a FZ1 and go wide open throttle lol as their first riding experience.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't worry about those who say that you will wish you had bought the FZ1 after a year or 2. I've had my FZ6 for 5 years now...only wished I had bought an FZ1 for about 1 day. The extra power of the FZ1 would do nothing for me but get me into trouble and I could get into plenty of trouble with my 6 if I were immature!

C

CoolATIGuy

Check kbb.com and nadaguides.com to get a general idea

If it's a clean title, no rust/dents/never dropped/no broken plastic, I'd prob offer $2600 and meet somewhere around $2800. If the "3969" on the windshield is the former sticker price, they've already knocked off a grand - obviously they want it moved along. If it's primarily a used car dealership, they probably don't want to be a bike dealer anyways.

I've had a ninja 250 (very light, maneuverable, fun and great gas mileage), prob a fairly similar upgrade as your 500 - I recommend it. 600 cc is plenty of power for now - for $2600-$2800, try it out, sell and upgrade when you're ready.

I've also ridden a Buell Blast (500cc?) and Kawasaki Vulcan 800 - fz6 seemed like a good engine size without anything crazy. Not knocking the FZ1.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
As others have said, the FZ6 is plenty of bike. I very much enjoy the good fuel mileage which is consistently high 40's to low 50's without trying to save gas.. so I get on it when I want doesn't seem to dent the great gas mileage by much.

As tempting as the FZ1 is you would have to stop for gas much more often with a 3.75 gallon tank and much less fuel economy. Some people may not mind it and may surely be worth having the extra ponies to some. for me very content right now staying with the 6.

hankhill11

Reaction score
Visit site
SOLD! but not to me :( sadly i didn't see it on craigs list til yesterday, and it had been sold on saturday. Oh well, the search continues !

thanks for all the info everyone.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that about the sale.

I'm in no way saying the FZ6 is a bad bike. I absolutely love it - there were just things about the 1 (not the size of the engine, though it is amazing what kind of difference that makes) that made it better for me.