Getting rid of these exhaust pipe stains?

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Any one has these ugly stains on the exhaust pipes? They were spotless when I bought the bike, but after few months of riding they starting to accumulate. I did not have a naked bike before, so had never paid attention to it. Now when they're exposed it just stands out...

4865397-T600450.jpg

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently did mine and they turned out great!

I wet sanded with 1000 grit and then 1500 grit. This cuts right through the stains much faster than trying to rub it off with a rag and polish.

Follow the wet sanding with mothers power ball and mothers aluminum/mag polish. For between the pipes, I cut a micro fibre cloth into strips, applied the polish to the header with my finger, and then pulled back and forth on the ends of the rag.

Some say to take the headers off for better access, but IMO I think it would be easier with them left on the bike so that they are fixed in place and not sliding all over your kitchen table!

Here's a few pics..These were kind of rushed, and I went back after and took out any remaining micro scratches.

Good luck!

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done mine recently to, the pictures above a fairly indicative of the result. I used scotchbright and brasso, and then finished with a rag and brasso.

Doing 300+ miles a week means they'd need doing every week though, as they brown up again pretty quickly, so I'll just be doing it for special occasions now.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
Try using Diamond Brite Truck Box Polish it's comes up much brighter and shinier than mothers and most other 'alum' polishes. Other than using rouge and buffing wheels.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've done mine recently to, the pictures above a fairly indicative of the result. I used scotchbright and brasso, and then finished with a rag and brasso.

Doing 300+ miles a week means they'd need doing every week though, as they brown up again pretty quickly, so I'll just be doing it for special occasions now.

A big +1! I used similar approach to the one described by bdevries and it worked very well, but few weeks went by and it was back to yellow and spotty.
Not doing it again till I decide to sell the bike :rof:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
A big +1! I used similar approach to the one described by bdevries and it worked very well, but few weeks went by and it was back to yellow and spotty.
Not doing it again till I decide to sell the bike :rof:

Did you try just using a microfiber and polish on the yellow to bring it back? I've only had to do mine once(bought the bike this winter), and figured that now that I've cut through most of the crap it would be easier from here on forwards..

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you try just using a microfiber and polish on the yellow to bring it back? I've only had to do mine once(bought the bike this winter), and figured that now that I've cut through most of the crap it would be easier from here on forwards..

I think it depends on where and how much you ride. I find it easier to use powerball than to do it manually, BUT.. east coast + Winter.. salt, standing water mixed with salt, rain.. it's a losing battle. I don't mind the yellow :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Mothers with a micro fiber cloth, No sanding, or steel wool. The bikes pretty much pleasure only, so on nasty days, it doesn't get the road grime and new stains...

Last edited:

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site

I wet sanded with 1000 grit and then 1500 grit. This cuts right through the stains much faster than trying to rub it off with a rag and polish.

Follow the wet sanding with mothers power ball and mothers aluminum/mag polish. For between the pipes, I cut a micro fibre cloth into strips, applied the polish to the header with my finger, and then pulled back and forth on the ends of the rag.

Some say to take the headers off for better access, but IMO I think it would be easier with them left on the bike so that they are fixed in place and not sliding all over your kitchen table!

Here's a few pics..These were kind of rushed, and I went back after and took out any remaining micro scratches.

Good luck!
OMG they look like a mirror :)
Thanks.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Mothers with a micro fiber cloth, No sanding, or steel wool. The bikes pretty much pleasure only, so on nasty days, it doesn't get the road grime and new stains...

Those look stunning! Were they ever really bad though?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Those look stunning! Were they ever really bad though?

Oh yea, when I got the bike at 4,500 miles(never been washed).

Below's a pic of the bike getting a new fairing stay, fairing, fuel tank, etc (after I bought the bike and was replacing crashed parts). Just look towards the lower of the pic and see the header before any cleaning:

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yea, when I got the bike at 4,500 miles(never been washed).

Below's a pic of the bike getting a new fairing stay, fairing, fuel tank, etc (after I bought the bike and was replacing crashed parts). Just look towards the lower of the pic and see the header before any cleaning:

Extra props to you then! They're certainly very brownish/yellow in those pics, but they don't look spotty/stained like mine did. Just polish + power ball wasn't cutting it .. it would get them shiny and silver, but the stains remained. Wet sanding was the only way I was able to get the stains out.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine had loads of little black lumps burnt on to them, there's a few on my water pump to. They're a PITA to get off. I can't wait till my next ACF50 treatment when they'll get all this stuff off with nothing but chemical action! Lol

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Extra props to you then! They're certainly very brownish/yellow in those pics, but they don't look spotty/stained like mine did. Just polish + power ball wasn't cutting it .. it would get them shiny and silver, but the stains remained. Wet sanding was the only way I was able to get the stains out.

Yep, I didn't take any close up pictures before, was busy installing a BUNCH of new parts at that time.

I screwed with the exhaust one day when I was bored, wanted to lay on my side for two hours on the garage floor and curse..:rolleyes:

As noted, the PO (my friends kids first bike-very much abused, laid down on both sides) didn't take care of the bike. The header/bike was never washed in two summers (our wet season) and ridden in everything you can think of (NO snow) so I suspect the headers were pretty stained up too (I don't remember).

Currently, I might spend an hour every two months to keep them up..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What we're missing here is the infamous plastic bag doing the 'melty' to the headers.... It STINKS and Stains!

Like others - mine are not perfect but not an eyesore either. What I hate is the bountiful amounts of chips from the high speed rocks off the front tire. Oh well...

BenFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

When you say "wet-sanding" is that literally using wet sandpaper?

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
When you say "wet-sanding" is that literally using wet sandpaper?

Yep, I have a bucket of puke-warm water along with a spray bottle. I clean the headers(or whatever you're wet sanding) and then dip the sand paper in the water and begin sanding. Make sure you keep the headers constantly moist. I spray water on them as well as dip the sandpaper in the water and scrub it off with my hand to dislodge any particles stuck in the paper. It's quite simple, and the polish takes out the micro scratches from the paper somewhat easily. At least far easier than not using an abrasive at all..