gas gauge always reads empty

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
so i just got my gas tank painted and put it back on the bike>>>put everything bac how it was but now for some reason the gas gauge is always blinking like there is no gas...i have double and triple checked all of the connections and cannot figure it out...any help?

S

Shamus McFeeley

Did you pull one of the wires out of its pin hole? It might be hard to tell without tugging on each wire.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking what Shamus said. Those are tiny weenie wires and they could come unplugged very, very easy. Good luck man.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You may end up removing the tank and partially removing the pump/sending unit.

Get the unit loose (gas tank is upsdie down) and then check to make sure the float and float arm is not jammed up (also not bent to be up against the side of the tank). Its possible it got bent when re-installing the fuel pump. Make sure the fuel pump itself is properly snapped into the sending unit.

Hopefully the sending unit didn't get damaged and break one of the windings (provides resistance for the gauge)..

If you remove the pump altogether, you can plug in the sending unit and move the float up and down and see if the gauge goes up and down accordingly (ignition turned on-pump not plugged in).

Last edited:

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
ok thank you so much...the floater arm fell off of the whole unit...got that fixed and its workijg great....but now the bike doesnt start...fuel pump runs and everything and the starter cranks...i just cant get it to turn over...any clue what is going on now?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ok thank you so much...the floater arm fell off of the whole unit...got that fixed and its workijg great....but now the bike doesnt start...fuel pump runs and everything and the starter cranks...i just cant get it to turn over...any clue what is going on now?

First off make sure the kill switch is NOT ACTIVATED.

Try starting it with the kick stand up and clutch lever in. If that doesn't do it, do both the above and hold the throttle WIDE OPEN and crank it over. Do NOT CLOSE THE THROTTLE. Crank it again, it may have flooded out. Some FJR's are known to do this.

Post back again, you may have a dirty kick stand switch.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
if the kickstand is down or thekillswitch is off then it wont even crank...iam getting plenty of crank and have tried starting with open throttle but just get a few puffs at most...then it dies. Maybe air got in the fuel line from disconnecting it?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my bike do something similar and you might try disconnecting the battery for 5 or ten minutes then hook it back up. Sometimes the computers needs to relearn the sensors or it got glitched. I got my computer in a glitched mode once (my fault) and I would crank it and it would puff and die. Try it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, after re-conneting the battery (doing a re-set), everytime you turn the key on/off it turns on and fills the fuel line system. It won't hurt anything to do this.

Also, make sure the fuel line itself is correctly attached to the gas tank and the retainer goes on correctly and the line isn't kinked either.

Its obviously plugged in correctly as you can hear it but it has a safety valve inside (when you pop off the fuel line fuel does not pour out).

The pump may not be getting fuel past that valve. Its easy to pop off and on, may be worth a try...

I just checked the manual, if all else fails, the fuel pressure is tested by removing the fuel line from and main fuel rail and cranking the engine (CATCHING THE FUEL COMING OUT IN A CONTAINER).

Hope this helps and you don't need to do any of it...

Scott

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
ok so last night i took the fuel line off the tank and fuel came pouring out...the valve was open...ill try disconnecting the battery later today. Also no kinks in the line...i could also do the fuel pressure test

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ok so last night i took the fuel line off the tank and fuel came pouring out...the valve was open...ill try disconnecting the battery later today. Also no kinks in the line...i could also do the fuel pressure test

A dribble of fuel should come out when disconnecting the line, if your getting more than that somethings not right/ holding the valve open...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm wondering if something is stuck in that valve. I've had mine off several times, once disconnected, it holds the fuel in. (My FJR too has the same style set up-doesn't leak after disconnected)

I'd be looking at that valve real close, there may be a piece of crap stuck in there...

Good luck,

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
ok so i found the problem...it was in fact a kinked fuel line...i must have missed it the first 2 times i checked. Thank you so much for all the advice. by the way i found out my floater was jimmy rigged and that is the reason it fell off. All fixed up now thanks to your help. I ordered the new line and ill post if that fixes the problem completely.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
ok so the kink in the fuel line was not the problem...so $50 later i get the bike to start but once it hits between 800 and 915 rpms the bike simply dies?...please help im going through riding withdrawal:(

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
maybe doing/undoing the tank and fidling around you disconected some other wire that has nothing to do with the tank? check everything!!

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
definetly found the problem this time...while i was cutting the zipties that the ******* put back the pump with i cut wire going to the valve..now 2 questions...1) could i have blown up my gastank if the wire sparked 2) would i be able to fix it or do i have to order a whole fuel pump?...i hope i didnt make a $500+ mistake