FZ8 Has Landed Early in Oz

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how is the clutch? is it hard to pull? is it on/off ?
the gearbox? is it clunky like fz6 ?
the throttle response? jerky on low rpms?
did yamaha fix anything at all?

Amazingly, the clutch is lighter than the 6, and has a wider friction point. Having gotten used to the narrow 6 clutch, I far prefer it to the 8. But the 8 is mega light. I don't know how they do it.

The gearbox is near identical to ours, so yes it's clunky.

Throttle response is smoothed, but I think they've smoothed the whole thing a bit too much. I haven't ridden it enough yet to have an opinon on the throttle jerk but in my ride it seemed better.

Let me say this, I was happy to get back on my 6, and if they were in the showroom for the same price, it would be a tough decision. The 6 just revs so much more easily and picks up so fast. It takes a while to get going.

To the other question about price, the FZ6N is about $10,600AUD ride away now I think. Not sure how many are still available. But with the 8N being about $14,500, you'd be mad to choose the 8 over it imo. You'd either spring more for the FZ1 or put $2.5k into mods and have a sweet 6 and some change. Of course that's me, and with my usage which is mainly commuting and speeds up to about 80km/hr. If I had any kind of freeway work or faster backroads, it would be a whole different ballgame. The >100km/hr pickup on the 8 simply kills the 6.

Get out there and get test riding guys, just for a laugh!

PS can't wait for Yam to pull their finger out and announce a crossplane FZ1
PPS can't wait for the V4 tuono
PPSS the newly released Shiver Sport landed in our store last week and it's one sweet looking bike. I still wouldn't buy one unless the importer picked up their act with parts availability, but they sure look (and ride) amazing. Wish I could afford a few bikes in the garage!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazingly, the clutch is lighter than the 6, and has a wider friction point. Having gotten used to the narrow 6 clutch, I far prefer it to the 8. But the 8 is mega light. I don't know how they do it.

The gearbox is near identical to ours, so yes it's clunky.

Throttle response is smoothed, but I think they've smoothed the whole thing a bit too much. I haven't ridden it enough yet to have an opinon on the throttle jerk but in my ride it seemed better.

Let me say this, I was happy to get back on my 6, and if they were in the showroom for the same price, it would be a tough decision. The 6 just revs so much more easily and picks up so fast. It takes a while to get going.

To the other question about price, the FZ6N is about $10,600AUD ride away now I think. Not sure how many are still available. But with the 8N being about $14,500, you'd be mad to choose the 8 over it imo. You'd either spring more for the FZ1 or put $2.5k into mods and have a sweet 6 and some change. Of course that's me, and with my usage which is mainly commuting and speeds up to about 80km/hr. If I had any kind of freeway work or faster backroads, it would be a whole different ballgame. The >100km/hr pickup on the 8 simply kills the 6.

Get out there and get test riding guys, just for a laugh!

PS can't wait for Yam to pull their finger out and announce a crossplane FZ1
PPS can't wait for the V4 tuono
PPSS the newly released Shiver Sport landed in our store last week and it's one sweet looking bike. I still wouldn't buy one unless the importer picked up their act with parts availability, but they sure look (and ride) amazing. Wish I could afford a few bikes in the garage!

Am going to have a look at the new Shiver this Sunday....man, they are a nice bike!

Back to the FZ8.....OMFG, what is with the muffler, it looks very cheap...like really cheap!!!!

:confused:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I swear there were some loose metallic items in that muffler. It sounded like something really tinny. It's absolute crap. But with that intake noise, adding a pipe will be sweet action.

It's a very 'bolt-on' looking bike hey. Far less slick and integrated than the 6 I reckon.

PS come to Sydney late August, we're having an Aprilia demo day and will have the whole fleet! Guess who's taking the Shiver home for an extended test run?

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
PS come to Sydney late August, we're having an Aprilia demo day and will have the whole fleet! Guess who's taking the Shiver home for an extended test run?

ooh hoo!! how jealus am i!
you could be our forum's bike reviewer (you and other guys on the same job/oportunity as you)

i wish i could "ride" to sydney!
can you take a nice pic of the slave lever of the clutch (maybe measure it too?) ? is the path of the clutch cable the same ? fiddle around it and give extra info to people! maybe an fz8 clutch part can make a nice clutch on the fz6

Last edited:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
can you take a nice pic of the slave lever of the clutch (maybe measure it too?) ? is the path of the clutch cable the same ? fiddle around it and give extra info to people! maybe an fz8 clutch part can make a nice clutch on the fz6

Yep, leave it with me.