FZ8 Has Landed Early in Oz

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
$12,990 +orc naked
$13,990 +orc faired

It's here early! I'm waiting for this rain to subside so I can ride this baby! I expected higher pricing, so this isn't bad. It will all come down to the ride though of course :)

(sorry for the dodgy phone camera image!)

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hehe, yes it is. Put it on the list, the factory comes with $4800 worth of freebies :)

Get yourself to Sydney and we'll go for an extended test ride!

On that note, if there is some Sydney interest I'm thinking about organising a day ride with the FZ8 where we can rotate it amongst a few of us. If there's any interest let me know and I'll tee it up.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
so it has an intergrated water heater so you can connect it in your house's water pump and have free hot water all day long!!
oh wait!!! thats the exhaust !!!

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems like all the lower exhausts now days are very ugly to say the least. :eek: I would love to ride one however. Probably wouldn't trade the FZ6 for one. I just love my FZ. :rockon:

Demor

Reaction score
Visit site
When i first heard of the FZ8 i became realy curious. Then i got to see it. I would love that bigger and more powerfull motor, but that aside the bike lacks on character. Back when the FZ6 family was introduced the design was something totaly new and sexy, like when the R1 was first introduced. Now all naked bikes look like the FZ6 and all supersports look like the R1.

The FZ8 reminds me of some overpriced italian crap bike, can't say which - they all look the same to me anyway: tons of cheap @ss plastic, random rough lines and edges that dont fit together and a shortened back end. I hate it when the bike ends halfway over the rear wheel. And then you have a weird plastic horizontal contraption some 30cm long that supports the number plate and the turn signs...:thumbdown:
That ugly pipe can be dealt with, the reast can't.

But then again that's me talking, i am sure lot's of ppl will like it. I just hope Yamaha doesn't completely replace the FZ6 family with the new FZ8, that would suck.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This looks the ticket, pity you have to buy it just to make the bike like good.

RACING OPEN EXHAUST SYSTEM for the YAMAHA FZ8 (2010) - Akrapovic

2_ya_fz8_so_headers_2010.jpg

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
nice can by akroaldkfj;sl. Hmmm, an improvement over stock. The only naked out there which completely makes me do a head turn is the triumph. Another one sneaking up on people is the new kawi z1000. Innovative to say the least. Though i hope the fz8 does sell.

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When this bike was first announced was pretty excited. Thought Yamaha would have a 600cc/800cc/1,000cc line up of FZ's, but no they axed the 6 :spank:

Having seen the 8 @ Laverda Concours walked away unimpressed by the bike. And having read a few articles, it seems to be pretty much an FZ1 less approx 200cc.

Starting to see the 8 as pointless, but will reserve judgement on the bike until I can get on one.

Demor

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you count the FZ6R as part of the FZ6 family? The last year for the "real" FZ6 was 2009.

No i don't count that one. I mean, apart from the engine and maybe the tank it's a completely different bike. If you look at the swingarm, forks etc. it has "cheap" written all over it. Or how about the frame ? After seeing the amazing piece of engineering that is the FZ6's (0 wield points) frame it's hard to settle down for anything less.
Yamaha seems to have run out of ideas lately - either that or they became overconfident after having won a couple of MotoGP championships and think they don't have to try that hard anymore.

Last edited:

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it has a lot to do with marketing. Honda have an 800 with undertail exhaust that looks good, so it cuts into the 600 market. I think the fz1 is a better option than the 800 although more expensive.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some initial thoughts after inspecting and sitting on it, wheeling it around the floor - The gold forks are a darker shade than the gold wheels on the white version. Urgh. It really jumps out at you.

Secondly, the thing feels like the FZ1 to sit on. As expected. But my point here is that being an 800, you'd hope it would feel physically smaller, ie perhaps more nimble at very low speeds. It feels like an FZ1 to push around the driveway.

The suspension looks like an upgrade from the 6 of course, but it's sprung quite soft. You can push through a lot of travel just sitting on the bike and rocking back and fourth.

Minor, but all the plastic panels are matt which is fine, but then the hugger is painted gloss black. It's the only gloss black on it, and really looks like an afterthought. Why not keep it like the FZ6 plastic one?

Oh one more thing. I should take a pic, but the switchgear on the right (so the kill switch etc) looks like it's off an agricultural bike. It's a thin, basic switch I'd expect on a 1993 XR250.

I'm hoping to ride it after lunch today, as the sun is coming out.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally dried up today and just back from a 40km run. A full review in the next day or so but first impressions - great.

Feels lighter than the FZ1 once going. Also more upright. Air intake (little ram air vent) really makes it sound rough (good rough). Around the city streets, feels really soft and doughy, not good. Flywheel is heavy and so it's a lot harder to launch quickly than the FZ6. Suspension is very nice but still soft.

Once you hit the freeway, it's a whole new ballgame. This is where the real difference lays. It cruises at 4300rpm at 100km/hr in top gear. If you're in 4th at that speed and need to overtake, you're in a much better position than on the FZ6. It kills the 6 on the freeway.

Final thoughts. Nice, but I'd spend the extra whatever it is and get an FZ1, any day of the week.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
how is the clutch? is it hard to pull? is it on/off ?
the gearbox? is it clunky like fz6 ?
the throttle response? jerky on low rpms?
did yamaha fix anything at all?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well i just popped into the local Yamaha Stealership, and saw the FZ8 in the flesh....it is almosty identical to look at as the FZ1, and in terms of size...looks just the same...

Is a loving looking bike then! Still would'nt part with one of my FZ6's for one i think, would rather get the beastly-ness of the FZ1, if i was to trade up in engine size.

:thumbup: