FZ6R on sale in Australia.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, and it is LAM's approved.....pretty decent looking bike for a first bike...in my day as a spotty 18 year old, i would of been well pleased to own such a "trick" looking piece of kit!

Well, put it this way, if i had a choice between FZ6R, Ninja 250, or a Hyosung, the Yammie would win hands down....

Only other thing that would get my interest, would be a BMW F800S, or N, in LAM's guise.

:rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its not a real FZ.

It is the fully faired XJ6.

Yep! Buit it looks super cool...and that's all that matters! ;)

No wonder Admin seperated us FZ6 people, from the FZ6R people! the 2 groups were never gonna get along!

:D

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode it today. You probably know I love the XJ6, so it comes as no surprise than I like the FZ6R. What will hit you though is the throttle stop on this thing. I kid you not, the throttle turns all of about 1.5cm. Then it hits a stopper! It sure beats the R125, but it feels as fast as a Hyosung GT250R. The GT650R would eat it alive. For some reason Yamaha have restricted it far more than needed.

We're trying to determine the restrictors. One rumour is that it's a throttle stop, a simply removal and you're back in business. The official word from Yamaha though is that it's a whole different set of throttle bodies on it, and around $2k to change out.

I'll be sure to let you know which it is.

The on-road price is about $12,700.

It's a superb looking bike, handles really well for what it is, and if derestriction turns out to be a simple thing, will be utterly brilliant :)

Last edited:

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive ridden the naked XJ6, handles brilliantly (even better than an FZ6). Tried to get my Mrs to try & buy one, but alas at that point in time her dream bike was a GS500!

Anyway, the XJ has a super smooth motor (without the FZ's 'power spikes') and a nicer gearbox.

IMO Yamaha would have the perfect naked 600 if they combined the XJ's handling & gearbox with the FZ's looks, motor & chassis. And then mod the crap out of it :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode it today. You probably know I love the XJ6, so it comes as no surprise than I like the FZ6R. What will hit you though is the throttle stop on this thing. I kid you not, the throttle turns all of about 1.5cm. Then it hits a stopper! It sure beats the R125, but it feels as fast as a Hyosung GT250R. The GT650R would eat it alive. For some reason Yamaha have restricted it far more than needed.

We're trying to determine the restrictors. One rumour is that it's a throttle stop, a simply removal and you're back in business. The official word from Yamaha though is that it's a whole different set of throttle bodies on it, and around $2k to change out.

I'll be sure to let you know which it is.

The on-road price is about $12,700 which imo is far too high as well, considering the price of the ninja (and the FZ6 for that matter!).

Sorry, it all sounds a bit negative. It's a superb looking bike, handles really well for what it is, and if derestriction turns out to be a simple thing, will be utterly brilliant :)

That is a lot of coin for a LAMS approved bike! Good luck Yamaha! You can have a Hyosung GT650 for nearly half that...and the Hyosung aint too bad a thing these days....fuel injected, etc...

Ive ridden the naked XJ6, handles brilliantly (even better than an FZ6). Tried to get my Mrs to try & buy one, but alas at that point in time her dream bike was a GS500!

Anyway, the XJ has a super smooth motor (without the FZ's 'power spikes') and a nicer gearbox.

IMO Yamaha would have the perfect naked 600 if they combined the XJ's handling & gearbox with the FZ's looks, motor & chassis. And then mod the crap out of it :thumbup:

I would'nt say the XJ6 handles better than an FZ6...in fact, they feel almost identical from my experience riding the XJ6...and their suspension is almost identical in spec...

Gearbox is definitely better though...

:thumbup:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've spent about 1,000km on an XJ6, both N and S version. I think that once you clock the kms up, you'll see the differences more clearly. The FZ6 kills the XJ for handling. Hit a fast corner on the XJ and then get a small bump, and you're in wobble city for the rest of the turn. It's also shockingly low for ground clearance so you can't push it there either.

The suspension looks similar so perhaps it's the oil and springs, but definitely different. The FZ6R is set softer again. I'm 80kg and stock rider sag was nearly half the travel.

I adore the bottom end of the XJ but it signs off just when you start smiling.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They called it the FZ6R because of the latest ruling to learner legal compliance. If you now produce a LL model, you can't also have a non-LL model (because people may be able to derestrict and then pass off as restricted). So they get around this ludicrous rule by modifying it slightly, (different seat, full fairing) restricting it, and designating it as a different model.

Otherwise would have just been something like XJ6SL

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
they called it the fz6r because it turned up in aus with the fz6r stickers not the xj6(f?) stickers thats it, they were planing on having it called the xj untill it turned up. Have heard this from a yamaha rep himself. Have a look at the model designation it is the xj6, along with the compliance plate and owners manual all have xj6 on them. Yamaha aus had all this ready for when they turned up and it turned up with the wrong stickers.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you'll find that there is currently a legislation being passed as per my previous post. This is what I have personally read about it, as well as being told by Yamaha. Although I know that at the Sydney Motor Show the one they shipped out had the wrong stickers on (it was last minute). So that could have made the decision a lot easier :)

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never got the chance to take the XJ on open roads and I will concede the point about fast corner handling, but riding it through the 70-80km/h main roads and ducking through traffic it honestly feels so much more nimble than the FZ. Still wouldn't buy one over an FZ anyway.

Anyhow, about time Yamaha had a 'sports' LAMS bike :thumbup:

dantow

The Phoenix
Reaction score
Visit site
You seem to be in the loop Bikebiz. Can you tell us when we can expect to see the fz8 appearing at the dealers?

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last week of August is the ETA for our first shipment. I'm hanging to know pricing but they're usually tight lipped until very close to release.

I'll keep you posted closer to the date, and I'm also planning to arrange a Sydney ride where I'll take a demo FZ8 and can swap it with everyone. Gives us all a chance for a better ride than just a shop demo route.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Going to be pretty lame if you ask me, the FZR is more than I paid for my new FZ6 and its a learner legal, the XJ6 likewise is more, and I bet the FZ8 is worse again!
Really makes you wonder why they bothered.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's no question that this is the first step for Yamaha doing a blanket price rise. The XJ6 was priced too closely to the FZ6 and was cannibalising sales. They crank up the FZ6R price, the 8 comes out near current FZ1 pricing, then they release a cross-plane FZ1 to justify a price hike there. Sneaky. Looks like I got in just in time :)

Having said that, I'm highly anticipating a cross-plane FZ1. Until the V4 Tuono hits the streets, it will probably be unrivaled as a street bike.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's no question that this is the first step for Yamaha doing a blanket price rise. The XJ6 was priced too closely to the FZ6 and was cannibalising sales. They crank up the FZ6R price, the 8 comes out near current FZ1 pricing, then they release a cross-plane FZ1 to justify a price hike there. Sneaky. Looks like I got in just in time :)

Having said that, I'm highly anticipating a cross-plane FZ1. Until the V4 Tuono hits the streets, it will probably be unrivaled as a street bike.

Yes, the next FZ1 is going to be one hell of a hoon bike i reckon...might be just about the right time for me to go for a Litre Bike! Have had my eyes on a BMW K1300R, but man, they are way too pricey at nearly $30000 with all the good bits!

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tell you what, as much as I am not a fan of Kawasakis, the Z1000 is worth a ride as well. The motor is sensational. Another one I'm in anticipation with is the Shiver 1200, if it ever sees the light of day. That would be one sweet bike.