FZ6 with open stock exhaust

Reaction score
Visit site
i opened mine up saturday. changed the sound alot.:thumbup: my friends love it and i havent noticed any driveability issues at all. not as deep a note as i wanted. think i have an idea to make it deeper but it means another open butt surgery. and some perfurated pipe:confused:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i opened mine up saturday. changed the sound alot.:thumbup: my friends love it and i havent noticed any driveability issues at all. not as deep a note as i wanted. think i have an idea to make it deeper but it means another open butt surgery. and some perfurated pipe:confused:

you should just be able to remove the tubes that go from the middle all the way out the back, trim around them and then take them out and it should get deeper.

Reaction score
Visit site
my plan is to make both exits as large as the ring that is around the existing exit pipes. but i thot that if i add that same size all the way through with the addition of the pipe inside being perforated that i would gain the deep sound im after. but i may just brake down and get the two brothers i really want. :D

tum226

Reaction score
www.rollahome.com
Sign In

Sign In

Sign In

Not sure if I pasted the pics in here right but this is what I did with my exhaust a couple weeks ago. I put packing all around the tubes then sealed it up. I have not been able to ride it to hear how it sounds yet but I like how it sounds in the garage.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sign In

Sign In

Sign In

Not sure if I pasted the pics in here right but this is what I did with my exhaust a couple weeks ago. I put packing all around the tubes then sealed it up. I have not been able to ride it to hear how it sounds yet but I like how it sounds in the garage.

wow, way to dig up the past :)

those pics won't show up here and when i click it there is just a request to log in.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Charlie, cold you if possible do the mod in two stages. Stage 1) Just gut the back box (will I have a similar result in terms of sound?) Then stage 2) gut the cat?
I just have to leave the cat for those bloody MOT's. What is worst cas scenario? will I develop a huge flat spot, will I need PCIII to sort out ignition problems. I know all my questions are prior to the event but really interested. For mr the gutted stodk had a great performance sound whilst looking like a stock bike.

Nelly

Nelly
Really? I may leave off getting the decat pipe then? I didn't think we had to have one. There are two little cats before the big cat though - isn't that enough?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really? I may leave off getting the decat pipe then? I didn't think we had to have one. There are two little cats before the big cat though - isn't that enough?

that is going to be my argument, i got rid of the main cat and if they give me a hard time i will explain that there is still a cat in each pair of pipes.

ton-loc

Reaction score
Visit site
I gutted mine a year ago except I left the last one in. So basically I took everything out except last baffle closest to exit and it sounds good and seemed to excelerate alittle better but I think the old satin is true the louder it sounds the faster it seems lol

Kris_filion

Reaction score
Visit site
Ill be doing the open exhaust tomorrow. I took everything apart today just to see how easy it'd be and it doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I might be back on here tomorrow to ask some questions though.

baldy73

Reaction score
Visit site
I punched holes in mine with a large flat tipped screw driver with a square shaft. Once the hole was in the baffle, I placed a spanner on the shaft and rotated it which enlarged the hole. I then got a pice of pipe which fit inthe end of the exhaust and hammered it a couple of time to enlarge the hole.

I believe it allows it to breath better, which improves the performance and has a slightly throatier sound. Overall I think it is a good cheap mod.

I also rode a work mates bike (exactly the same, less mod) straight after and it definately felt less responsive and more restricted than mine.