FZ6 v FZ1

tubarao

Reaction score
Visit site
Before I bougth the FZ6 S2, I had 3 Bandits. 1 B600 and 2 B1200. But I ever felt 2 troubles with the B12´s : Heavy weight , excess of power , gas consumption and hard to take fast curves. But for many years, in Sao Paulo, Brazil , the insurance of FZ6 was too high for me (3x Bandit insurance) . But in 2008, when Yamaha announces the "nationalization" of FZ6, the insurance cost came down, and finally I bougth my Red FZ6. Better engine , fuel injection , same HP, less weight , less consumption, beautiful lines, and better to get traffic to go to work (and sport riding on weekends :thumbup:). I think FZ1 is too much power for a naked bike. FZ6 have perfect balance of all things I think important for me.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i was a new rider and the FZ6 was the single most potent bike I felt was still an acceptable bike for a new rider. I took back a downpayment on a ZX6r (after some arguing) and then bought the FZ6 at an amazing price. If I had seen a decently priced SV650 I would have bought that instead.....but the FZ made my walnuts jangle in a way the SV didnt.

now 2 years and 30k later I'm STILL growing into the bike as a rider. It was a great first buy and I dont think any other bike would have been everything the FZ has been to me. Next phase of my riding is track and adventure. Im buying a V-strom (i think) and the FZ will be my track-attacker and random street-ripper.

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
main reasons i bought the fz6

1. I was a begginer rider and the fz1 teamed with my inner hooligan would have killed me
  2. I like the look of the fz6 better with the duel undertail exhaust
  3. insurence is much cheaper

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went to the shop where I bought my bike to look at a used vfr they had. Started wandering the floor, first looking at the triumph's. mmmm, nice. I like that tiger but damn, that's a lot of bike.

Sat on both the Fz6 and fz1. While I could appreciate the twiddly bits on the 1's suspension, I just didn't need a liter. Still don't.

Had an old guy roll his window down in traffic just the other day, commenting on how nice my bike looks. Yeah, it does, doesn't it..?

PB Hand

Reaction score
Visit site
There are several reasons that I purchased the FZ6 (P.S. I had a 1989 BMW R100RT prior to purchasing the FZ-6). It was close, since I knew that I wanted a naked (tired of being hidden behind plastic) and 'thought' that I needed another 1000cc bike, however...

1) Styling: Plain and simple, this bike just looks cool, even when not modified. I seem to get compliments on the bike just about everywhere I go.

2) Weight: After having a 1000cc BMW with all the plastic (fairring, side luggage), I wanted something light, to allow me to have a bit more fun on the corners. This bike fit the bill perfectly.

3) Insurance: Although this was a bit of an afterthought, it is cheaper for me to insure the FZ-6 than a 1000cc machine.

4) Fuel Injection: Since I had a spending limit, I was looking for a used bike. After my BMW, I wanted a fuel injected bike, which the FZ-1 that was in my price range was not.

After adding a topcase to my bike and strapping on a waterproof bag with all the clothes, etc. needed for a 5 day trip, I took my FZ-6 around Lake Superior earlier this summer (1850 miles in 4.5 days). I was riding with 2 BMWs (2001 BMW R1000RT and 2007 K1200GS Adventure Series) and had no problems keeping pace with them. In fact, even when loaded down, when I needed a handful of throttle, the FZ-6 was more than happy to oblige.

My final view on this bike is that it's more than capable of handling virtually anything I can throw at it. I can't really think of a reason that I would recommend spending the extra money for the FZ-1. I think it's more that people 'think' they need a 1000cc bike to get the power they need.

jcbarr318

Reaction score
Visit site
Cost was original factor. With one year of FZ6 under my belt?
1. Fits me like a glove (5'10", 190)
2. Perfect power for commuting, weekend flying
3. Light enough to throw around, in garage and on streets
4. Sexier styling than FZ1

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Before I got the FZ,I was into Supermoto bikes,but I needed something I could do distance on,but still be able to scratch around.I'm not a fan of sportsbikes,so was after a streetfighter/musclebike.
Browsing through the classifieds I saw a Black Yamaha FZ and tbh I'd never even heard of them :D I did some reading up,loved the styling and the fact it had the uber reliable + powerful R6 derived engine and bought it.
I knew they did a 1000,but the small difference in performance,especially around the twisty roads where I live swung it.

As did the twin underseat exhausts ;)

BellevueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Back in 08 when I got my FZ6 for 8k the FZ1 was 9,2k so price wasn't an issue.
I didn't like the strait handle bar and the exhaust and I still hate them. mileage was an issue not because of costs but for the frequency of stops during long rides. I usually ride 4k miles in summer. Had recently my FZ6 on the Dyno and the reading was 89HP at rear wheel and this is a lot of power. Finally I'm getting 60mi/gal at long rides.
There is one single thing I like better on the FZ1, the double seat.
Anyways back in 08 the FZ1 had the '05 R1 engine and the FZ6 had the latest 600 engine on the market; only this would have been enough for me to buy the FZ6.

Getaway

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on a great thread

Long story, short: My FZ6 is a great all-rounder. It has let me explore just about every kind of street riding there is. That's what I wanted to get out of my first bike. I wanted to know what kind of rider I'm going to be.

I was curious about the FZ1 and a local dealer had a brand new '07 for the same price as a new '09 FZ6. It had been serviced for a sale that fell through due to financing, so I got to ride it.

Bottom line: Loved the suspension, it was easy to handle and a lot smoother at lower speeds than my FZ6. But, way too much power and weight for me right now. I'm still having too many brain farts and I couldn't enjoy it for fear of dropping it. With more experience, I think the weight and suspension of the FZ1 would make it a better sport touring bike, but not sure if it would be as good of an all-rounder.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
impulse buy !!

i owned a bright yellow 07 DRZ motard that was in the "list" of every dirtbag within a 10 mile radius ..i just couldnt cope with attempted hijacking ,being run off the road or being followed home anymore. (there's a story to tell every time i took it out)

so after 5 months i traded it in for the only other bike that had 0% finance..it just happened to be the FZ6 ..i would of taken anything

upon reflection it was a great choice..maybe in a year or so i might buy a used FZ1 but for now im perfectly happy with the 600

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
impulse buy !!

i owned a bright yellow 07 DRZ motard that was in the "list" of every dirtbag within a 10 mile radius ..i just couldnt cope with attempted hijacking ,being run off the road or being followed home anymore. (there's a story to tell every time i took it out)

so after 5 months i traded it in for the only other bike that had 0% finance..it just happened to be the FZ6 ..i would of taken anything

upon reflection it was a great choice..maybe in a year or so i might buy a used FZ1 but for now im perfectly happy with the 600

A lot of the blokes on the UK KTM Forum are suffering from that at the mo', especially the boys in London.Being followed home,people sniffing around their garages etc and I know quite a few that have traded in or are considering getting rid :( it seems every week there's a couple of bikes at least being stolen.
When I got the insurance for my FZ,I was amazed that it was a lot cheaper to insure than my '96 XR600R,but the broker told me that Trialbikes/supermoto's are now the highest risk group by a long way.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I am new to motorbikes and although I thought I could manage a 600 there was no way I would have considered a 1000 for a first bike. When I took my FZ6 in for its 600 mile service I was talking to the salesman that sold me my FZ6 and he reckons that my next bike is an FZ1. Maybe I'll prove him right.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
For me the FZ6 offered everything that I was looking for in one bike. (Performance, economy, handling, looks, reliability, insurability, and comfort)
Comfort was the biggest selling feature for me as I had been looking for a new bike for over two years! One test ride on the Fazer and I was sold)

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the fortunate position of being able to have what I want, hence the Yamaha advertising in Australia for the FZ6S summarises me:

'Agile, Versatile… Missile'

'Get done what you must, then do what you want.... That’s the motto behind Yamaha’s FZ6S. '

I also own a 2009 43' Beneteau Oceanis monohull. Own, not paying it off or using it as a tax deductible expense. Like my bike, it keeps me sane and gives me a reason to look forward to my recreation, which is travelling.

Now the FZ1 has a good luggage option that the FZ6 doesn't have, that is, lockable panniers. However I solved that problem with a set of soft panniers from Ventura last weekend.

To choose the FZ1, it would have to exceed my expectations of what the FZ6S has already done. I don't think that is possible, in my opinion.

For the FZ1.
Luggage.
More passing power on the odd occassion when it would be usefull.
slightly bigger for 2 up cruising.

Against the FZ1.
No undertail exhaust.
Extra weight.
Lower economy.

cheers
Rumpole

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a first time bike owner. For me I was absolutely smitten at first with the FZ1 for all the wrong newbie reasons. After reading that long article in the newbie section, I had an epiphany and decided to check out smaller bikes.

Overall I am very happy so far with my choice, a 2006 FZ6

Here's what it boiled down to for me (this list in no particular order of importance). I know these reasons have been chanted here many many times:

1) Great price point, especially on a used model
2) Gas economy
3) Very comfortable
4) Bigger gas tank
5) Less Insurance cost
6) Confidence I was learning on a better machine, so as not to pick up bad habits on a big cc bike
7) A very important factor! - This forum is awesome!!. A Great, friendly and supportive culture. I was appalled at some twerpy 20 somethings who thought too much of themselves because they rode an FZ1. I found it a compelling reason to rethink FZ1. It was more of an intellectual repulsion than anything else.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
For me, I like the smaller CC (i.e., FZ6) bike because I can use more of its power on the street and with everyday riding. I can ride the middle of its power almost all the time. With the FZ1, I feel the bigger CCs were just too much to really utilize on the street. I, however, love how you can "snap" liter bikes to high speeds and then back down again.

I really like the FZ1 (and other liter bikes) mostly because of the upgrades to the components. You get great brakes, great adjustable front/rear suspension, and just beefier components.

Ideally, I'd love an FZ6 with FZ1 components. Perhaps an FZ1 with an FZ6 engine in it. I know the components on the FZ6 are adequate (perhaps even more) but I like really great components that really get the job done easily -- like big brakes that can slow you down fast and not even really feel like they had to work to do it.

Dennis

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I chose the FZ6 over the FZ1 because of the following...

1. Cheaper regristration & insurance.
2. Uses less fuel...but only marginally it turns out...once you have put a Power Commander on, and tuned it for grunt!
3. Lighter weight...more chuckable, nimble...although i now know the FZ1 is one of the most nimblist bikes in it's class.
4. Cheaper purchase price.
5. Underseat Exhaust.
6. I just love middleweights...especially the FZ6, with class leading power.
7. Easier to ride "off the pipe" around town.
8. it looks great!

:thumbup:

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
It was a toss up between a used FZ1 and a new FZ6.

1.not ready for a litre bike

2.they were the same price

3.FZ1 more to insure

4.not ready for a litre bike

Fletch

Reaction score
Visit site
If Steve really lives in Denmark then perhaps the best reason would be fuel economy! What is it now 9DK/L? That is about 7-8$ a gallon!!! The tax has to be a cast iron bitch too! Effecient, stylish (this is Denmark of course) is better....and cheaper is great!

Can you tell I am married to a Dane??? LOL!!:BLAA:

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
had my driving lessons on a naked fz6, liked it, couldn't find any 600cc sport touring bike as pretty as the fz6, with the same amount of bhp,
fz1 was too expensive, gonna get a test ride on one this summer though.

I just spent a lot of money on my fz6 so im not gonna trade it in,
but someday I'd like a fz1, or a honda cb1000r, I think the honda even looks better than the fz1 :D

Last edited: